AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Angels and Airwaves - We Don't Need to Whisper Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.63
Musicianship 7.53
Lyrics 7.34
Production 8.13
Creativity 7.81
Lasting Value 7.59
Reviewer Tilt 7.38
Average: 76%
Inside AP.net

Angels and Airwaves - We Don't Need to Whisper

Reviewed by: jtresk26 (07/21/09)
Angels and Airwaves - We Don't Need to Whisper
Record Label: Geffen (Suretone)
Release Date: May 23rd, 2006 (U.S. release date)

On April 11, 2005, Tom Delonge, guitarist and singer of the now reunited trio Blink-182, started the post-Blink hiatus project named Angels and Airwaves. Well, the songs didn't exactly start then, as the songs that were planned to be used on a new Blink album served as a base for the songs that developed into We Don't Need to Whisper.(As of this review post, a sixth Blink-182 album is currently being planned and production of the album will start after the Blink-182 reunion tour.) David Kennedy, former guitarist of Box Car Racer, another Tom Delonge project, Atom Willard, former drummer of Rocket From the Crypt and The Offspring and ex-member Ryan Sinn, former bassist of The Distillers, joined Delonge in creating sound many bands of the present didn't have and achieved just that.

"Valkyrie Missile," the first track of the album, has a lengthy intro, something the band does quite a lot on the album, as well of their follow-up, I-Empire. The intro is filled with back-and-forth dialogue during a distinctive bass intro and it proves to be a very good introduction of the album and what is to come. "Distraction" is an interesting song that mixes an anti-war message with elements of finding love. The song is another lengthy intro, but once the listener gets through it, it gives a big payoff as it is one of the best songs, lyrically and production-wise. "The Adventure," the first single of the song, is the anthem Angels and Airwaves were looking for. A personal favorite of mine, the song fuses a plethora of sounds, such as everyday objects like tools falling from a toolbox, into the song, as well as synth tracks that blend all together into the masterpiece of the album. "The War" is yet another anti-war song, with references to events that occured in WWII. Delonge has stated in interviews that he used war imagery throughout the album, as it served as a template from what he experienced with Blink-182 before the hiatus set in. "It Hurts," the second single from the album, is a song that drags on lyrically, but musically could be one of the best songs on the album. Repeated lyrics are present throughout the song, but blends the Angels and Airwaves sound and crunchy guitars in the memorable bridge. "Good Day" is a song about how you can go through all the worst experiences in your life, but at the end of the day, you look at the positives of your life and what is going good for you. "Start the Machine," the last track of the album, has maybe the most controversy around it, lyrically. Delonge has stated that the song is about the end of Blink-182, and it is clearly evident throughout the song. References to "screams of kids and ran into shelter" and "I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder" can be interpreted as the past work that Delonge has done with Blink-182. Controversy aside, the song shows the music Angels and Airwaves can make and how it can progress on future albums.

Techincally, the album production is stellar for a self-produced album, as the album was produced by Delonge. Using everyday sounds and using it not to overpower the song, but blend it into a wonderful masterpiece (i.e. "The Adventure") is a great tool that was used on a couple more songs on the album (Powerful stomps on "Distraction," files cabinets shutting on "The War" are a couple of more examples of great use of everyday things on the album). Lyrically, some songs pose as a great inspiration for artists who want to inspire their listeners that they can do anything, but some song fall flat, like with "It Hurts." I have personally seen criticism on Delonge for abandoning the sound he established with Blink-182, but I applaud him. The sound he achieved with Angels and Airwaves is something no one has heard before in a long time or even at all. The band is obviously not trying to compete with sounds that were already established and they wanted to find something different that fuses all these things together. Vocals on the album are good, but they vary too much between songs and sometimes don't even fit in the mood of the songs.

We Don't Need to Whisper is an album that definitely was one of the most awaited album back in 2006, and obviously it's not the best album in the past 20 years, or whatever Delonge said way back when news broke out about the project, but is a very solid debut, and maybe it should have contended for best new artist for a Grammy. Angels and Airwaves achieved what they wanted to establish with the album, to challenge listeners on how they can affect their lives for the better and what they can do for the people around them, a very positive message that hasn't been conveyed through a band in a long time.

Recommended If You LikeU2, Blink-182, The Cure

Check out Angels and Airwaves on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
07:51 PM on 08/01/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
It's good to see a positive review for this album. As much as people like to hate on Delonge, I thought this was one of the best records of '06 (the follow-up disappointed big time). A matter of contention, I seem to recall "Do It for Me Now" being the second single, not "It Hurts." Also, even though it wasn't mentioned, "A Little's Enough" was my favorite song on the album, and more than that, one of my favorite all-time songs.
09:48 AM on 08/02/09
jtresk26
Tambourine Jamboree
User Info.
Well thank you for the compliment. You probably are right about "Do It For Me Now" as the second single, rather than "It Hurts." And I as well was disappointed on the follow-up, but I thought they had some good songs on that album.
12:46 PM on 08/02/09
lynnie
is rockin!!!
User Info.
My gosh! I love this band and I love this album.
07:33 PM on 08/02/09
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
I wonder what the overall opinion of AVA would be if Delonge hadn't left blink to start it. People mostly hate AVA cause they hate Tom.
This happens to be one of my all time favorite albums. Nice review.
07:43 PM on 08/02/09
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
Dope fucking album and besides It Hurts every song is great.No matter how much shit AVA gets they will always be better than that terrible watered down Blink knockoff called +44. Out of everything Tom Delonge has done this album has the most lasting value for me

How is +44 a watered down blink knockoff? It's an amazing album full of emotion. I don't see how people can like blink and still hate either of these bands now that blink is back together.
08:03 PM on 08/02/09
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
It's a complete step down from the S/T and has ZERO lasting value.

Besides the S/T, which I recently fell I love with after hating it for 5 years, I strictly listen to Blink for nostalgia and could give a fuck less that they reunited. I'll take AVA over Blink anyday

Its not a step down from the S/T because its not even in the same vein as the S/T. It's totally different. And just because it's totally different than AVA or blink doesn't make it horrible. Mark poured out everything he had into this album and it shows. Lyrically it's great (depressing, but great.) Travis's drumming shines (like always). Can you seriously listen to a song like Weatherman and tell me its not doing it for you?
08:13 PM on 08/02/09
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
Most def

I don't normally hate on people like this but I just checked your profile and you have awful taste in music. That pretty much explains your views.

I'll admit, I listen to some questionable stuff. But how is yours any better? Seriously.
And way to chicken out.
08:16 PM on 08/02/09
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
I think that +44 are atrocious. Are you so fucking dense you can't understand that?
I understand that you don't like +44. Thats easy. I just don't understand why.
03:21 AM on 08/03/09
lynnie
is rockin!!!
User Info.
I wonder what the overall opinion of AVA would be if Delonge hadn't left blink to start it. People mostly hate AVA cause they hate Tom.
This happens to be one of my all time favorite albums. Nice review.
I think if an individual feels trapped in something they don’t believe in, it can take its toll and drag them down into a deep dark place. I guess the negativity from fans is to be expected. I have seen it with a few guys who have decided to move onto other projects and it is a shame people can’t give them support rather than stick them on a cross and crucify.

I didn’t know the history behind the band and that the guy came from Blink182. All I know is I love the album and the review above is great.
01:33 PM on 08/06/09
TangledUp
crazy cat lady
User Info.
This album did so much for me when it was first released. I'd say as a whole though I like I-Empire better. I look forward to Love. Tom never disappoints musically.

I think if an individual feels trapped in something they don’t believe in, it can take its toll and drag them down into a deep dark place. I guess the negativity from fans is to be expected. I have seen it with a few guys who have decided to move onto other projects and it is a shame people can’t give them support rather than stick them on a cross and crucify.

I didn’t know the history behind the band and that the guy came from Blink182. All I know is I love the album and the review above is great.
This was so well said. I applaud you.
10:05 AM on 08/08/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I like both albums very much. WDNTW is definitely a great album. I wish you had talked about "Do It For Me Now", that's one of my favorite tracks
05:09 PM on 08/09/09
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
I like both albums very much. WDNTW is definitely a great album. I wish you had talked about "Do It For Me Now", that's one of my favorite tracks
MEEEE TOO!

along with this i must say out of the 2 that AVA released it's my favorite album, just everything in general is sooo much better.

i love blink tho and always will, pop punk was redefined by them and is grown to love from bands like all time low and a day to remember.

+44 was a great band but really i dont think that mark was truly dedicated in it which was sad because i did passionately love seeing him in this band.

the review was a little off tho i thot not to be stubborn, good detail, but not particularly what i ve thot about this album and oh yeah Muse and +44 have that same ideal in AVA
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums