|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Gladiators Eat Fire - 01.10.09
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Gladiators Eat Fire [website] [myspace] [ap.net profile]
1. How did you get your band name?
It came to us in a collective dream
2. How did this band get started?
It was a night like any other, I was drunk and vocalist Mark was stoned and we decided to start jamming. I had been playing guitar in two other bands and drums in another, he had never played music before but he picked up a bass that night. We got our friend James to drum with us. That jam turned into our first song, It's Awake-O-Clock, Bitch!.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
At The Drive-In, The Beatles, Brand New, mewithoutYou, Muse, Refused, and every other piece of music I've ever heard
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
The Beatles, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Jimi Hendrix, Sublime, Muse. These are all musicians I highly respect and who's music I find incredible, and I think hanging out with them on tour would be both extremely chill and educational.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A wolf. Not sure, it's just a gut feeling.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think we're attempting to make new noise out of all the things we love about music, whether or not it comes off that way to anyone. We love what we do, and our passion shows through the songs we write. Everyone seems to love us, from 6 year old girls to 70 year old men. We're not metal, really.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
It's Awake-o-Clock, Bitch! (some dude keeps talking about it on some forums ), it'd probably be pretty easy.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone involved with the recording, and all the heroes who laid the groundwork for us.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Basically make the book "The Future of Music: Manifesto for the Digital Music Revolution" real
10. Memorable tour experience?
Everyone in the car so tired we kept falling asleep at the wheel, switching drivers, repeat, until a semi nearly killed us and scared the shit out of us enough to keep us awake, mostly. As soon as I started nodding off in the passenger seat I'd jolt awake because I was so worried the driver would crash.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I've been reading AP.net since Mest's Destination Unknown was the featured album and my best friends older brother was doing CD reviews of MxPx under the moniker "PunkBastards". It represents growth in the music community and the power anyone has to start something great if they only have the passion and the drive.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
The newest one we've written (right now it's codename Chariot)
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere in nature.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Beastie Boys and Blink-182.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability to create matter from nothing. Ideally cannabis. Ideally in my pockets.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not yet, but we will. We're starting. Just keep watching.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We're all really nice, laid back guys. Our personalities don't match our music at all. Or do they?
18. What's your favorite holiday?
I hate holidays
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play music, listen to music, write music, etc... watch movies?
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
The kind that aren't very hidden, nor very talented.
21. What does each band member contribute to writing a song/album?/how do you go about writing a song? (from Steve C)
One of us will come up with a part, or an idea for a part, and show it to one or more of the rest of us. We then add instrumentation from everyone and build the skeleton of the song, develop the flow of it. Vocals start being written over what is done, and over time each instrument refines until the song is considered perfect. Either that, or we just start jamming and magic happens.
09:12 PM on 07/26/09
i <3 brian kim.
wonderful musicians, all of them
they will epitomize
what music is
and should be.
LISTEN TO THEIR MUSIC!
or even better...
SEE THEM LIVE!!
More From This Author
Buy the Music