AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Friday Night Boys, The - Off The Deep End Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 5.25
Lyrics 4
Production 7.75
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 56%
Member Ratings
Vocals 2.13
Musicianship 1.13
Lyrics 0.38
Production 2.63
Creativity 0.5
Lasting Value 0.38
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 11%
Inside AP.net

Friday Night Boys, The - Off The Deep End

Reviewed by: foolishdrew (07/25/09)
The Friday Night Boys - Off The Deep End
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen
Release Date: June 9, 2009

Ever wondered what it would sound like if Something Corporate gave birth to a less intelligent baby with Forever The Sickest Kids? Here it is! The debut album from the Fueled By Ramen pop punk quartet, The Friday Night Boys.

Off The Deep End kicks off with the ultra catchy "Permanent Heartbreak," which pretty much sets you up for what to expect from the rest of the album. If you can't stand the first track, I recommend just stopping there. "Stupid Love Letter" takes a page from Something Corporate's songwriting book, and nearly ruins it with a bunch of electronic sounds. "Suicide Sunday" is pretty fun, but doesn't offer anything new to this genre.

"Finding Me Out" is pretty interesting due to the fact that they decided to have a ballad so early in the album. Although it's a little unexpected, this song actually works fairly well. The album then continues with lead single "Stuttering." While it may sound like they ripped off many other bands, it's still a very solid lead single which captures all the fun of summer perfectly. I also learned how to turn "stuttering" into a 4 syllable word! Following this is another ballad, "Can't Take That Away." This song is also slightly out-of-place, yet seems to work out pretty well.

Synth-driven "How I Met Your Mother" comes as a surprise and seems heavily-influenced by Forever the Sickest Kids. "Hollow" and "The First Time (Natalie's Song)" are both pretty fun and catchy, yet they don't stand out from the rest. "Molly Makeout" is a re-recording of an old favorite of mine, with more of a pop/rock sound instead of the acoustic sound of the original. While I still enjoy this version, I kind of miss the uniqueness of the original. This sounds like all the other songs on this album, while if they had kept the original acoustic sound, it would've really stood out. Oh well.

"Unforget You" is a painfully generic song that offers almost nothing that could be considered original. The closer, "Sorry I Stole Your Girl" is another re-recording of an old favorite, but this time they stayed more true to the original. It's kind of an odd way to end an album, yet somehow it just works.

Being a good addition to the Fueled By Ramen roster, The Friday Night Boys could do great things. As for now, we can only hope that they will find their own unique sound so they don't blend in to the background. So it goes, just another one of the hundreds of bands who have written a chapter in the book of pop-punk music, offering a pleasant, yet unoriginal listen. The moral of this story? Girls are evil and will break your heart.

Recommended If You Like An extremely dumbed down version of Something Corporate; All Time Low; Forever The Sickest Kids; Cash Cash; Boys Like Girls; The feeling of summertime.

Track Listing 1) Permanent Heartbreak*
2) Stupid Love Letter
3) Suicide Sunday
4) Finding Me Out
5) Stuttering*
6) Can't Take That Away
7) How I Met Your Mother
8) Hollow
9) The First Time (Natalie's Song)
10) Molly Makeout*
11) Unforget You
12) Sorry I Stole Your Girl*

*Signature Tracks

http://www.myspace.com/TheFridayNightBoys

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
02:00 PM on 08/06/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
This album was highly disappointing, considering the amounts of hyperbolic praise it received.
08:19 AM on 08/07/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually really really like this album. I had a review but I screwed something up and it didn't get submitted... It gave more praise obviously, so maybe I'll get that in eventually just for the contrast.
11:14 AM on 08/07/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fuck you for comparing my all time favorite band to this trash.

60%? You must be kidding. In my opinion, this is the worst album FBR have ever released. So, so bad.

Sadly, I have to sit through these guys to see ATL.
11:34 AM on 08/12/09
foolishdrew
Oh, Glory
User Info.
Fuck you for comparing my all time favorite band to this trash.

60%? You must be kidding. In my opinion, this is the worst album FBR have ever released. So, so bad.

Sadly, I have to sit through these guys to see ATL.
I was being very, VERY, generous.
12:18 PM on 08/12/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was being very, VERY, generous.
Fair enough. I would have given much lower scores for lyrics, creativity and last value.

Sorry if my post sounded rude.
09:08 PM on 08/12/09
foolishdrew
Oh, Glory
User Info.
Fair enough. I would have given much lower scores for lyrics, creativity and last value.

Sorry if my post sounded rude.
Oh, no problem. I didn't really mind. Is your all time favorite band All Time Low?
12:27 AM on 08/13/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh, no problem. I didn't really mind. Is your all time favorite band All Time Low?
SoCo.
06:20 PM on 08/24/09
foolishdrew
Oh, Glory
User Info.
Ah. Good choice, my friend. Leaving Through The Window is amazing.
06:35 PM on 08/24/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ah. Good choice, my friend. Leaving Through The Window is amazing.
Probs my fav. album ever. North is excellent too.
03:12 AM on 09/17/09
xjdizzle
User Info.
Beautiful review ! Those other bands are just as bad haha! Including ATL. Something Corporate is the only decent one
03:28 PM on 05/10/11
now-smile
Cait 182 :)
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love TFNB :) They should tour with Sparks The Rescue. I'd loveeee that! Best tour ever. AND STR has a new album out today :) Perfect opportunity!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums