AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

MT. - Teach Your Children How To Think Not... Album Cover

MT. - Teach Your Children How To Think Not...

Reviewed by
Mt.Teach Your Children How To Think Not What To Think
Record Label: Motive Sounds / Consouling Sounds
Release Date: 2008
Who?

Mt. is made up of two brothers and a pal from the UK, though two of these lads don’t show up on Teach at all, and the multi-instrumentalist bandleader Ben Maxwell gives himself no fewer than seven instrument credits in the liner notes. Regardless of who’s actually at the controls here, the “band” churns out some of the most un-boring post rock you’ve ever heard by skipping out on many of the genre’s notorious pitfalls (I checked – no 21 minute three-note crescendos.) I will give you a heads up, however: there is at least one glockenspiel on this recording.

How is it?

While the name of this record is pretty lame (though it may appeal to the bumper sticker buying professor demographic), the music itself is a lot more exciting. Right from the opening arpeggios of “Pencil Drawings of Animals”, the listener will recall Tortoise classics like Standards, due in part to the prominent roll of the glockenspiel*, which actually adds a lot of character to the tune. The songs are dark but catchy. Washes of orchestration enhance “Brokeback Mt.” so that it sounds a bit like the title track from the Pumpkins’ Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, while “Lecture On Nothing” closes with an epic Trail of Dead march and a Brand New type gang-vocal refrain. It’s an excellent moment really, and it could have been just as strong closing out a full album as it is closing a 4-track EP.

Tracklist:
01. Pencil Drawings of Animals
02. Yes, I Can Solve A Rubiks Cube, But I Can’t Very Well Solve All Your Problems Now Can I?
03. Brokeback Mt.
04. Lecture On Nothing

Recommended If You Like:
Mogwai, Smashing Pumpkins’ more lush moments (Mellon Collie era), Tortoise

Check ‘em Out:
www.myspace.com/lifeandtimesofmt

*Before someone sends me an angry message, I’m well aware that Tortoise played vibraphones and not glockenspiels.
This review is a user submitted review from OKComputer1016. You can see all of OKComputer1016's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
01:34 PM on 07/25/09
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
I'm really enjoying this. I'm always looking for something that's a breath of fresh air. Nice find Eric!
07:43 PM on 07/25/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this is a pretty good album, especially the closer.
09:51 PM on 07/25/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Yeah, but...Tortoise played vibraphones and not glockenspiels! God, get it right!
06:49 PM on 07/26/09
joeag1985
User Info.
I hear good things about this group. Must check it out.
11:56 AM on 08/11/09
MotiveSoundsBen
User Info.
I was hoping to create an extra revenue stream from bumper sticker buying professors, as it is near impossible to make any money from selling CDs these days

Many thanks for a very nice review, and for citing some comparisons beyond Mogwai, much appreciated.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos