AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Saves The Day - 03.24.06

Interviewed by
Saves The Day - 03.24.06First, introduce yourselves and your roles in the band.

I'm Chris. I sing and play guitar.

As most kids know by now, your new record, "Sound The Alarm", hits shelves on April 11th through Vagrant Records. Do you mind giving the public some information on it? (Ex: How many tracks are on it? Where was it recorded? Is there a theme? Etc.)

There are 13 songs on the album. We recorded it in our home studio, which we call the Electric Lady Bug.

Why did you guys decided to titled the record "Sound The Alarm"? What significance does it have?

It's the name of a song on the album which sums up the mood of the record.

You guys were recently labeless; what options did you weigh when choosing to re-sign to Vagrant Records? Was it a tough decision?

We wanted a label that was safe, where our phone calls would still be returned even if we have a shitty first week of sales. We wanted a label with backbone, brave enough to work with a band that doesn't give a fuck about radio our video airplay. Vagrant feels like home.

The band has experienced both worlds: the major and independent label. What are the major differences between the two? Are major labels really as horrible as most artists claim they are?

The difference is that major labels have stock holders who expect decent earnings each quarter, and if the label doesn't produce, bands get dropped, albums get shelved, and musician's lives get dragged through the dirt. Indies are more likely to give you a shot based on how good your music is, not how good your sales are.

With all due respect, your last album, "In Reverie", wasn't as critically acclaimed as the albums prior to it. As a result of that backlash, did the band make a conscious effort to escape that sound?

No. We never change deliberately. Our evolution reflects our growth as individuals.

What is the band's writing process? I've heard rumors that Chris writes almost everything on every album, is this true? If this is not an accurate claim, how much does each band member contribute to the material?

I come up with little skeletons of songs on my own and then we flesh them out and bring them to life together as a band.

Is there any chance that the band will be playing this year's Warped Tour?

We're doing the whole thing.

This one is for Chris: Myself, and many others, miss your dance moves on stage. Is there any chance of you dropping the guitar and taking a frontman approach again?

No.

This is kind of a tired subject, but what was the situation with long-time band member Eben and why did the split occur? How did you guys get ahold of Manny and lock him into the vacant bass position?

We'd known of Manny for a long time through playing shows with Glassjaw back in the day. When it came time to write for Sound The Alarm, Eben wasn't on the same page creatively as me, David and Pete. I kicked him out of the band and we called Manny, who fit in perfectly and brought a new dimension to our sound.

The band has gone through it's ups and downs (no song title-pun intended), has there ever been a time where you guys collectively considered throwing in the towel? Realistically speaking, how much longer do you guys imagine yourselves making music under the name "Saves The Day".

There have been times when it felt like we'd never step foot on another stage. In terms of how long Saves will be around, of course, only time will tell.

Most bands "find their sound" one or two years into their careers and Generally stick to it. With that said, why has their been such a drastic change in sound with every album you guys release? Is it safe to say that you guys are constantly maturing?

Our sound evolves as we grow as human beings. The change is a reflection of inner growth. Not to mention some bands are too afraid to change for fear of alienating fans.

How do you guys feel about the success of bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy? Do you guys strive for that same kind of success?

I love the guys in My Chem! They are our Homeboys from the Homeland and we are so proud of them and excited about their continued success. In terms of our own career, we just want to keep making records and playing shows.

In one word (and only one) what can we expect out of your new album when it hits shelves on April 11th?

Hell.

Thank you, for contributing as much as you have to the independent rock scene and influencing kids, like me, since the High School years. You deserve all of the success and respect in the world.

Thanks man!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
09:33 AM on 03/24/06
fromwithin
Registered Member
User Info.
"I kicked him out of the band and we called Manny, who fit in perfectly and brought a new dimension to our sound."

damnnnnnn.

ok interview though he didnt seem too happy at the time.
09:34 AM on 03/24/06
chokeychicken
A long time ago..
User Info.
shitty interview. what a dissapointment.
09:39 AM on 03/24/06
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
yeah, that interview sucked. it read like a bunch of questions e-mailed to him and he e-mailed back with his responses. also, you need to fucking proofread that shit and put it in a format that's easier to read.
09:45 AM on 03/24/06
born to expire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree... that interview sucked.
10:03 AM on 03/24/06
FreddyKrueger
Dream Master Soul Keeper
User Info.
yeah this seems very thrown together and half assed i mean even the basics of writing down who is speaking isn't even there
10:06 AM on 03/24/06
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
Is any staff member on this site a journalism major?
10:12 AM on 03/24/06
transitrock
young brash hopeful
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Herbel
When it came time to write for Sound The Alarm, Eben wasn't on the same page creatively as me, David and Pete. I kicked him out of the band and we called Manny, who fit in perfectly and brought a new dimension to our sound.

swell guy.:(
my respect for him has fallen.
10:23 AM on 03/24/06
Timberwolf
I'm growing legs.
User Info.
Originally Posted by transitrock
swell guy.:(
my respect for him has fallen.
if anything mines grown, most people wouldnt openly admit to kicking someone out of a band, plus it seemed to be for a reasonable enough reason.
10:27 AM on 03/24/06
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tim McCall
Is any staff member on this site a journalism major?

Just to let you know, I didn't write the interview. I just had it sent to me to post.
10:31 AM on 03/24/06
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
he sounded like a real prick.

and i love how he didnt say shit about fall out boy lol.
fuck u wentz
10:40 AM on 03/24/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by fromwithin
"I kicked him out of the band and we called Manny, who fit in perfectly and brought a new dimension to our sound."

damnnnnnn.

ok interview though he didnt seem too happy at the time.

Hah, I was tthinking the same thing. Wow. Stuff happens just like that. I'm not sure of my opinion of Chris in this interview.
10:51 AM on 03/24/06
uhh beer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
personally ive always loved how succint he is in interviews.
he never minces words or amkes himself or saves the day out to be anything, even though in my life and im sure thousands of others let alone tons of the bands i listen to, he's had this huge influence.
11:06 AM on 03/24/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by uhh beer
personally ive always loved how succint he is in interviews.
he never minces words or amkes himself or saves the day out to be anything, even though in my life and im sure thousands of others let alone tons of the bands i listen to, he's had this huge influence.
Except this does come off as a really poor interview, succinct or not.

I don't blame Brandon (just FYI). The only suggestion I have for him is to fix the extra spaces all over the interview and maybe the bolding thing..
11:10 AM on 03/24/06
xllirikx
True Punk Fan
User Info.
cool

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT