Username
Password

12:16 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
GuitarR0cker1
things mean a lot at the time
Portland, Oregon
Male - 20 Years Old
I find it odd that this isn't discussed much here when there is so much post-rock and even Miles Davis love that goes on in here. I think Vivaldi is my favorite composer, The Four Seasons is such of a great masterpiece. I remember learning to play Spring on the piano as a little kid. Too bad it isn't hip to like classical music, or I would talk about it more often.

Anyways I guess this thread works for contemporary stuff. Not that I know anything about it haha.
12:29 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
New Zealand
Male - 26 Years Old
i'll be honest, the only classical i've really given any attention to is beethoven, who's work i love. it's not that i don't care for these genres, it's more a lack of any depth of search & discovery on my part

although one modern classical-ish piece i absolutely adore is the two enzso albums released at the helms of tim & neil finn. the boys, along with fellow band member eddie raynor, re-worked many of their split enz classic hits in accordance with the new zealand sympathy orchestra. the results... gorgeous
12:32 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
nlo13
Perspective is everything.
Franklin, MA
Male - 24 Years Old
I like analyzing classical on a music theory standpoint. Don't care for it too much, though, from a pure listening standpoint.
12:35 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
inuewiwedem
No Avatar Selected
Male - 20 Years Old
Not too into it, although it is pretty interesting to think about and what not.
05:42 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
Male - 21 Years Old
Rite of Spring is the classical piece that I listen to the most often and is probably one of my favorite compositions ever. Stravinsky is my favorite composer. I'm also a huge fan of more modern minimalist neo-classical (Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians is another favorite composition). Bach also wrote several fugues that I'm pretty into. But in general, I'm more into post-Classical stuff (ie Romantic, Contemporary, Neo-Classical, etc.)

Let's get some John Cage love up in here.

06:26 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
Greensboro, NC
Male - 24 Years Old
Rite of Spring is the classical piece that I listen to the most often and is probably one of my favorite compositions ever. Stravinsky is my favorite composer. I'm also a huge fan of more modern minimalist neo-classical (Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians is another favorite composition). Bach also wrote several fugues that I'm pretty into. But in general, I'm more into post-Classical stuff (ie Romantic, Contemporary, Neo-Classical, etc.)

Let's get some John Cage love up in here.

This is like, exactly what I would have said, haha.
06:38 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
This is like, exactly what I would have said, haha.
twinz!
06:40 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Broclee
Greensboro, NC
Male - 24 Years Old
Lulz.
06:41 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
I would love to see 4'33" performed live. You don't get the same effect watching it on a Youtube video, I'm sure.
07:04 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Broclee
Greensboro, NC
Male - 24 Years Old
I would love to see 4'33" performed live. You don't get the same effect watching it on a Youtube video, I'm sure.
I've never gotten that pleasure, but I'm sure you're right. I don't many other people that actually enjoy, or even appreciate, Cage, but I guess that's what I get for being a music major. They're all busy jizzing over Mozart's Requiem.
07:09 AM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
I've never gotten that pleasure, but I'm sure you're right. I don't many other people that actually enjoy, or even appreciate, Cage, but I guess that's what I get for being a music major. They're all busy jizzing over Mozart's Requiem.
There was a concert at a church I do sound tech work for and this pianist did a bunch of Cage-like stuff with the piano. Messed around inside with the strings/hammers etc. It was so cool, haha.

I'm surprised that other music majors don't really appreciate Cage. A shame.
03:39 PM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
eyes of march
908 - Jersey
Female - 27 Years Old
I love classical music, Moonlight Sonata is pretty much one of my favorite songs of all time. Beethoven was a genius.
03:55 PM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Broclee
Greensboro, NC
Male - 24 Years Old
There was a concert at a church I do sound tech work for and this pianist did a bunch of Cage-like stuff with the piano. Messed around inside with the strings/hammers etc. It was so cool, haha.

I'm surprised that other music majors don't really appreciate Cage. A shame.
I love it. eighth blackbird came to our school for a performance this year, and their piano player does a lot of that, along with prepared piano, and the other performers do lots of crazy stuff as well. I thought it was awesome, but most people complained about how it was "too artistic" or "just weird." Most of the other music majors I know don't really do well with things that don't fit inside nice little packages.
03:59 PM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
1) chopin
2) rachmaninoff
3) debussy
4) tchiakovsky
5) bach

i love me some romantic-era classical music, especially that composed for solo piano. debussy's "clair de lune" is one of my favorite songs of all time, as is chopin's "fantaisie impromptu".
04:21 PM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
I love it. eighth blackbird came to our school for a performance this year, and their piano player does a lot of that, along with prepared piano, and the other performers do lots of crazy stuff as well. I thought it was awesome, but most people complained about how it was "too artistic" or "just weird." Most of the other music majors I know don't really do well with things that don't fit inside nice little packages.
That's so disappointing. I would have figured that music majors would have a greater appreciation for art that pushes limits.
I love classical music, Moonlight Sonata is pretty much one of my favorite songs of all time. Beethoven was a genius.
That was a great performance; very expressive.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos