Username
Password

08:56 PM on 08/05/09 
User Info.
GuitarR0cker1
things mean a lot at the time
Portland, Oregon
Male - 20 Years Old

Another interesting John Cage video. Skip to around 5:40 for the actual performance part.
This has got to be one of the coolest things ever.
07:46 AM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
bippity boppity
Male - 21 Years Old
That is a really cool video. John Cage is so creative.

Can somebody rec me a good Romantic piano sonata or two that I probably haven't heard?

although one modern classical-ish piece i absolutely adore is the two enzso albums released at the helms of tim & neil finn. the boys, along with fellow band member eddie raynor, re-worked many of their split enz classic hits in accordance with the new zealand sympathy orchestra. the results... gorgeous
Ever since you made this post, I've been trying to find this haha. Is there any way you could hook me up?
07:59 AM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Jali
Bitch, get off my corn!
Northampton
Male - 24 Years Old
The only classical artists I like (that I know of) are Beethoven, Carl Orff and, uhhhhhhh, John Williams... Oh come on, we all know that the music in Star Wars kicked ass!
08:06 AM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
finneyerkes
No Avatar Selected
Alabama
Male
Arvo Part
08:12 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
bippity boppity
Male - 21 Years Old
Bump
08:24 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 26 Years Old
Rachmaninoff.
08:24 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Ryan Mills
True Punk Fan
New Hampshire
Male - 30 Years Old
I'm big into classical. I enjoy a wide range of styles, but I've been on a big minimalist kick for a while. Steve Reich is amazing, of course. Philip Glass has a lot of really good stuff, too, as does Arvo Pärt. There's just so much more good stuff in classical than you find anywhere else, it's just a never-ending goldmine. Gotta have love for Terry Riley and everyone should own "The Sinking of the Titanic" by Gavin Bryars.
08:30 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
bippity boppity
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm big into classical. I enjoy a wide range of styles, but I've been on a big minimalist kick for a while. Steve Reich is amazing, of course. Philip Glass has a lot of really good stuff, too, as does Arvo Pärt. There's just so much more good stuff in classical than you find anywhere else, it's just a never-ending goldmine. Gotta have love for Terry Riley and everyone should own "The Sinking of the Titanic" by Gavin Bryars.
Nice that you mentioned Glass; Einstein on the Beach is awesome.

And I respect Terry Riley for paving the way for artists like Reich, etc., and I even enjoy In C to an extent, but I just feel like Reich did it better on Music for 18 Musicians.
08:33 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Ryan Mills
True Punk Fan
New Hampshire
Male - 30 Years Old
Nice that you mentioned Glass; Einstein on the Beach is awesome.

And I respect Terry Riley for paving the way for artists like Reich, etc., and I even enjoy In C to an extent, but I just feel like Reich did it better on Music for 18 Musicians.

Well I agree with you, I think Reich is much better than Riley, although I probably feel the same way about Reich as a lot of people do about Brand New here (hence my 4.38 GB folder of Reich stuff). I'd have to say my favorite is probably Different Trains, but there is so much amazing stuff in his collection.
08:35 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
bippity boppity
Male - 21 Years Old
Well I agree with you, I think Reich is much better than Riley, although I probably feel the same way about Reich as a lot of people do about Brand New here (hence my 4.38 GB folder of Reich stuff). I'd have to say my favorite is probably Different Trains, but there is so much amazing stuff in his collection.
In my opinion, Drumming is his most overlooked work. Although I haven't delved nearly as far into his work as you have (I probably have heard ten or fifteen of his compositions).
08:38 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Ryan Mills
True Punk Fan
New Hampshire
Male - 30 Years Old
In my opinion, Drumming is his most overlooked work. Although I haven't delved nearly as far into his work as you have (I probably have heard ten or fifteen of his compositions).

I'm not sure I'd call it overlooked (although I guess that depends on who you talk to), definitely good stuff. His early works are very different, as I'm sure you've heard. Even if you just listen to the 10-CD "Works" set by Nonesuch, you can hear some pretty amazing transitions in his work.
08:39 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
phil19
an Aussie in London
London, England
Male - 29 Years Old
i think the only classical music i listen to would be the star wars soundtracks. john williams has composed some amazing pieces for those movies. the standout in my mind being duel of fates
08:42 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Ryan Mills
True Punk Fan
New Hampshire
Male - 30 Years Old
i think the only classical music i listen to would be the star wars soundtracks. john williams has composed some amazing pieces for those movies. the standout in my mind being duel of fates

See, why would you limit yourself like that though? I bet you could find lots of stuff you'd enjoy. Start with this:

08:42 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
bippity boppity
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm not sure I'd call it overlooked (although I guess that depends on who you talk to), definitely good stuff. His early works are very different, as I'm sure you've heard. Even if you just listen to the 10-CD "Works" set by Nonesuch, you can hear some pretty amazing transitions in his work.
I heard one earlier CD of his stuff, I think it was actually called 'Early Works'. It had the clapping song, and Come Out and Show Them. Tell me more about the 10-CD business.
08:43 PM on 08/06/09 
User Info.
Praetor
bippity boppity
Male - 21 Years Old
See, why would you limit yourself like that though? I bet you could find lots of stuff you'd enjoy. Start with this:

Good call. Not huge on it myself but it's very dramatic/sweeping.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos