AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 7.38
Lyrics 6.56
Production 7.16
Creativity 7.09
Lasting Value 6.88
Reviewer Tilt 7.34
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (08/05/09)
Minus the BearPlanet of Ice
Record Label: Suicide Squeeze Records
Release Date: August 21, 2007

In a world where crunkcore and electronica with all programmed music is slowly but surely reaching undeserved mainstream status, it is wonderfully refreshing to hear a band like Minus the Bear crank out some more of their signature math-tinged indie rock. After two great and consistent LPs, it had become highly apparent that Minus the Bear needed to change things up and experiment just a little bit more to create that masterpiece (or that jocular piece of shit, whichever was to come), and on their latest release from Suicide Squeeze Records, Minus shows that moderate change can lead to a great album with plenty of their signature style still left for the well-seasoned listener.

Switching things up from an experimental and ominous feel, to a compact math rock sound, this album is full of surprises. Tracks like "Knights" build up the vintage Minus the Bear sound, while others, such as "White Mystery," leave longtime fans confused how such a band could transform their musical stylings so much and still do it right. "Burying Luck" challenges the ever so prolific guitarist to meld with a heaping amount of synth, and is a great example of pure progressive rock, instead of that pussy "experimental rock" you'll find from Chiodos and Pierce the Veil.

If I could criticize one thing on the album, it would be the lyrics. Gone are the tales of scoring Atavan and female genitalia, but say hello to the cheesy lyrics. Maybe it's because the topic matter has changed and Minus the Bear may just need some time to adjust to the outside world of lyrical content. But when I read, "Outside someone was digging a hole in the ground/They were burying my luck/What have you done?" I nearly shoved the lyric booklet in my paper shredder, and it was the first song. But beside all of the lyrical goof-ups, this album is a treasure, and damn does it show how to use a reverb right! If this album isn't an immediate favorite, you'll love it slowly but surely as it grows onto you like a drug to an addict.

Recommended If You LikeMath rock; Indie rock; The Mars Volta; Circa Survive; Old MTB; Stuff that is actually experimental

myspace.com/minusthebear

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
09:03 PM on 08/18/09
arsulli01
User Info.
really enjoy this album a lot. These guys do no wrong in my book
02:03 PM on 08/19/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Holy shit this actuallly got put up. Worse than my first review, but I think it shows more of meeee!!! (And because I am a selfish and cynical dick I enjoy myself very much)
08:06 PM on 08/19/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Excellent album. One of my favorites of all time.
05:25 PM on 08/21/09
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
by no means are the lyrics about "scoring female genitalia" done with on this albm. white mystery is possibly their most blatant song of that sort.
05:45 PM on 08/21/09
shimmyshakes
Registered Member
User Info.
One of my favorite albums. Am I the only one that thinks of the book Frankenstein when listening to this CD?
08:24 PM on 08/21/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Math tinged indie rock? Circa Survive? Actually experimental? I am intrigued. Will check out.
09:04 PM on 08/21/09
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
ohhh how i wish i lived of Planet of Ice
11:55 PM on 08/21/09
Inaction
Registered trademark
User Info.
I love this album. One of my favourites.

Having said that, 9.25 for vocals? Jake Snider has a horrible voice with pretty much no range or emotion.
04:37 AM on 08/22/09
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
i love this.
06:39 AM on 08/22/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I love this album. One of my favourites.

Having said that, 9.25 for vocals? Jake Snider has a horrible voice with pretty much no range or emotion.
I love his vocals on this album. They're so leveled and yes, emotionless, but I think that's what really makes me love them when it's paired with the lyrics.
09:52 AM on 08/22/09
jhog3411
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
by no means are the lyrics about "scoring female genitalia" done with on this albm. white mystery is possibly their most blatant song of that sort.

Yes, that comment in the review is way off base. This album oozes sex in the music and in the lyrics.

I'm interested to see where they take the next album.
10:08 AM on 08/22/09
Klatzke
User Info.
How are those lyrics cheesy? I just re-read it and realized that.
06:10 PM on 08/22/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
What I meant was that where on their other albums va-jay-jay was a prime lyrical aim, now it is not so.
06:12 PM on 08/22/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
How are those lyrics cheesy? I just re-read it and realized that.
I absolutely hate the new lyrics. I believe they are oversimplification to the Nth degree. But I'm a fan of metaphors strewn throughout lyrics moreso than anything.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums