Password

Album Review

T.J. Cornwall - Hide and Seek EP Album Cover

T.J. Cornwall - Hide and Seek EP

Reviewed by
T.J Cornwall - Hide and Seek EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 1st, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

Not too long ago T.J. Cornwall use to play in a band Cloverleaf, a four piece piano rock band. Cloverleaf was a musical outlet for T.J. and his three other Penn State buddies, but as graduation came closer, it really forced the band to question what they wanted to do with their lives. The three other members choose to take a different path as T.J. decided to stick with music. As the band called it quits Cornwall continued to write songs on a more personal level for a solo record.

How is it?

While Cloverleaf had a strong piano pop sound, Cornwall's solo work is very stripped-down, kept to the basics of soft acoustics and calming piano melodies. At times Cornwall's shrews can be a little gritting but nothing over the top. With a little more time and experience, I don't see this being an issue at all. Even though Cornwall stated these new songs were more personal, that information could be obtained just from listening to the songs. It's tough to give a fair judgement with only three songs, but the EP closes with a strong piano ballad "Stranger, Please," which musically sounds like it could have been pulled off the newest Fray album. Cornwall sings "I'm not Picasso, but I thought we were a masterpiece," delving into his personal pain of a breakup. While T.J. Cornwall doesn't really reinvent the wheel, he gives us something fresh and new to watch out for. While the talent is there, we still haven't seen Cornwall realize his full potential, but I think with his upcoming album all of that will change.

Recommended If You LikeCloverleaf; The Fray; Piano and acoustic driven songs

Try itMyspace

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:41 AM on 08/23/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha wow. I kinda know this guy/ Cloverleaf. That's pretty funny actually.
12:18 AM on 08/24/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
haha wow. I kinda know this guy/ Cloverleaf. That's pretty funny actually.
Sucks to see them break up, they had a lot of potential.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos