AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Anathallo - Floating World Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 100%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.2
Musicianship 9.85
Lyrics 9.53
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.7
Lasting Value 8.85
Reviewer Tilt 9.55
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Anathallo - Floating World

Reviewed by: Gabe Gross (03/29/06)
AnathalloFloating World
Release Date: February 25th, 2006
Record Label: Nettwerk

Where else might the perfect album come from other than Mount Pleasant, Michigan? Just as their geographical reference exudes, Anathallo’s newest release, Floating World is nothing short of a symphonic indie masterpiece pleasantly arranged for any high-held pedestal. In the last few years Anathallo have stayed far under the radar, self-releasing a litter of EPs—including Luminous Luminescence In The Atlas Position (2001), Sparrows LP (2002), A Holiday at the Sea EP (2003), Hymns EP (2004) and Entropy (2005, Split 12" with Javelins).

The roster of Anathallo reads more like a baseball lineup, which explains their ability to create such a vast and mysterious composition that flourishes in strings, horns and percussions. The multi-person register of Anathallo include just about everything and everyone—Matt Joynt (vocals/guitar/auxiliary percussion/piano), Andrew Dost – (piano/flugelhorn/auxiliary percussion/vocals), Bret Wallin (trombone/auxiliary percussion/vocals), Danny Bracken (guitar/auxiliary percussion/vocals), Seth Walker (bass/vocals), Jeremiah Johnson (drums), Greg Leppert (trumpet), Erica Froman (vocals)—including a harp, cello and trombone on specific tracks.

The brilliantly inconsistent ambiance on Floating World meets somewhere between a tribal symphony and modern theatre. While delicate shifts between trombone toots and piano chords flow exquisitely, therein lies an orchestra of vocals, not just male, not just female, nor just singluar or group but a combination of all, breeding an inventive composition that encapulates art, spirituality and redemption. For the youthful group, their maturity transcends through their music with the ability call upon Japanese culture, Judeo-Christian and biblical stories and modern American application.

"Ame" is a multi-percussion and keyboard intro the slowly seeds the beginning of the album. From there, we are introduced with an enchanting, soft-acoustic performance heeding lyrics that pertain to he song's title "Genessaret (going out over 30,000 fathoms of water)". The title refers the area where Jesus called on his disciples, then fishermen, to follow him. The song extends the reliance and dedication of faith involved in sacrifice for complete redemption: I want to skip like a stone from a stronger arm / Each one I throw is moving somewhere / Oh, let me go. I will go out, out, out, out past these yellow ropes / I am not afraid.

Four songs pay tribute to a Japanese tale, called Hanasakajijii, in which you can see the four parts scattered out of their chronology on the album. The story tells of a couple who adopt a stray dog that eventually finds buried treasure on their property, without their knowing. In an act of mischief, the neighbor finds out about the dog's capabilities and seizes the treasure from the couple. Though, the dog only discovers trash for the neigbor. In his discontent, the dog is killed, burned and its ashes buried. The man discovers his adopted dogs ashes, which bring enrichment to his land; helping dead trees fourish again. When these tracks played in order the details of the story are uncovered.

"Hoodwink" may be the most recognizable and harmonic track on the entre album. The vocal composition is layered with a single male voice and underlayed with a humming group chorus. The song relies on slowly strummed guitarwork and heavenly drumming that frame the entire track. Among other songs, "Yuki! Yuki! Yuki!", displays an instrumental that begins as a simple piano ballad soon adorned with horns then returns to a more uptempo beat on the piano keys. Ending the album, Anathallo exhibit the serenity of singing in Japanese with "Kasa no Hone (the Umbrella's Bones). Lightly tapped strumming match the charming percussion as tempo speeds up to a hasty conclusion.

Creativity has new boundaries.

Never have I heard the aesthetic of sound meet the aesthetic of beauty. Floating World is vulnerable yet strong, exciting yet serious. This sound bends genres and yet, cannot be contained by one. Anathallo are a new American cult classic. This is just the beginning.

Footnotes: colossiansthreesixteen

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52
06:13 PM on 03/29/06
Grybo
True Punk Fan
User Info.
such a beautiful cd.
06:14 PM on 03/29/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Good review.

Oh, and this cd has the most beautiful case you will ever see in your life.
06:16 PM on 03/29/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Mitch2742
Good review.

Oh, and this cd has the most beautiful case you will ever see in your life.

agreed...though it seemed trite to touch on the album art, because the music makes me want perish due to its greatness.
06:18 PM on 03/29/06
fedhed7
Chickens don't clap!
User Info.
Haha, wow. 10/10??
06:18 PM on 03/29/06
Speyside
We Still Care
User Info.
My review is here
06:20 PM on 03/29/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
There are only 2 cds in my collection that I would give 10/10 to. I doubt I'll be giving any 10/10 this year.
06:23 PM on 03/29/06
reductiondesign
////////
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
There are only 2 cds in my collection that I would give 10/10 to. I doubt I'll be giving any 10/10 this year.

Which albums?

And that's a great review. I've yet to give this a proper listen.
06:24 PM on 03/29/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by reductiondesign
Which albums?

And that's a great review. I've yet to give this a proper listen.
Kid A - Radiohead and White Pony - Deftones
06:25 PM on 03/29/06
thisdecemberhop
thisdecemberhope
User Info.
best review ive read of it yet.
06:26 PM on 03/29/06
The Fix
User Info.
Finally, a band thats deserving of the famous AP.net gushing

anathallo is incredible
06:28 PM on 03/29/06
LMB
Riding the Gravy Train.
User Info.
Fucking well deserving of a 10/10. Be sure to pick up the second pressing of the Anathallo/Javelins split 12" Entropy if you haven't already.
06:30 PM on 03/29/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.

I tried to tell you guys about this band..

Great cd. Great review. Great rating.
06:31 PM on 03/29/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by The Fix
Finally, a band thats deserving of the famous AP.net gushing

anathallo is incredible

Yeah, really.

All these bands here that have got so much hype with this website mostly all suck, except a few, and those few are just okay.

This deserves all the hype.
06:34 PM on 03/29/06
1check_1love
True Punk Fan
User Info.
a freakin' amazing cd
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates