AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Head Automatica - 03.31.06

Interviewed by
Head Automatica - 03.31.06This Interview was conducted with Daryl Palumbo at the Lincoln, NE stop of Head Automatica's current headlining tour with My American Heart. A New York Dolls DVD is playing.

"Popaganda" is the name of the new album. What was the reason behind the Album Name?

The name's not that personal. The title has to deal with the writing zone I was in for this whole period in my life. This record is a snap-shot of that period. This is more of a Power-Pop record. I was just in that stage during that period. I was definitely writing more songs on the electric and acoustic guitar. It's a very high-intensity, aggressive Pop record. I was listening to a lot of the first and second-wave british bands, and that all had an influence on the writing style and sound of the album. It's not a Pop record in the sense of mainstream commercial Pop; there are a lot of 4-chord progressions, but this album more reflects to a period where 'pop' was something else.

Are there any b-sides or songs from the writing period that didn't make this record?

Oh man, there's about thirty! Namely, one song that a lot of people may know of is "Continental Divide." That song will hopefully be on the next record.

Are there any guest appearances on this album?

Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance did guest vocals on one of the tracks. For the first time in my life, I wasn't struggling to get 'cameos'. I think all 5 of us are significant enough by ourselves that we don't need special people to come and make elaborate appearances on our album.

There's been a lot of footage shot in the last few months of Head Automatica, both on stage and off. Is there a DVD in the works?

There is definitely a home video/DVD in the works right now with a full-length documentary and live set .We've been filming the last 5 months of our lives, and there will be a making of this record. It's definitely pretty interesting. A lot of crazy things happened. I don't know the name of the DVD yet. There's live tid-bits on the internet all over, and namely there's some footage at the Starland Ballroom. We will release the Starland Ballroom show in its Entirety.

What is the reason for the itunes EP being released soon?

I wanted to both give people pieces of the record early and get them excited for the new Head Automatica record that's coming. It's a lot easier to put that out on itunes without all the hassle of pressing actual physical copies of it. It's more of a teaser of the new record, and it's most importantly a way for us to get "Graduation Day" out there. We just did a video for that song, and we're rushing to get it out there in time for Graduation!

You mentioned that you've been listening to a lot of bands from the British Invasion. Did you draw a lot of inspiration from that music for this record?

The last record was more like I knew exactly what it was gonna be before we started it. I just kinda followed through. I knew the end result and had to take the journey to get there, and that record was mostly about that journey; it was a concept record. I knew what I wanted this record to sound like. I was listening to a lot of bop bands from late 60's, and a lot of the 2nd wave mod, pop-punk bands from the late 70's. I tried to take that blue-print to stick with. I knew what I wanted to do with this record.

I know you have your own side-projects currently, is there anyone else in the band working on things on the side?

Yeah definitely, If anything comes up we do it. We all play on things. We have a few friends who are vocalists and artists that we're gonna back up as a band. Jessie and I are working on a lot of music right now. Jarvis is trying to write a lot of Americana-style folk songs. I might produce that when it happens. I'm trying to make a lot of things happen, but it's always a time issue. This band is our main focus right now.

What are some bands that your listening to right now?

Frank zappa. A lot of old british bands. The new Ghostface Killah record

Any plans with the Head Automatica/Men Women, and Children Tour?

We're stoked for that. We thought we were doing a nation-wide tour with it, but I guess that's not the case. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Any last words for the readers?

I hope your in to the new record. I feel it's light-years ahead of the last record. If your in to the last record and have followed us since then, you'll like it. It's a True Pop Rock and Roll record.

*For More information on Head Automatica, Visit:
www.headautomatica.com
www.myspace.com/headautomatica
www.purevolume.com,headautomatica
www.freezemanagement.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
02:36 PM on 03/31/06
gcore
jesus breath.
User Info.
i can see many a people complaining about the lack of glassjaw questions.
02:40 PM on 03/31/06
wiReZ
asdf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by gcore

Oh it's coming... the douchebags will say something eventually.
02:42 PM on 03/31/06
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by gcore

I told him that I wasn't going to ask him any glassjaw questions at the beginning of the interview. I figured he was getting tired of answering questions he doesn't really know the answers to.
03:25 PM on 03/31/06
domesticyeti
Captain Democracy
User Info.
WHERES THE GLASSJAW INFO!?!?!?!?!?!?!

no, that was not serious
03:42 PM on 03/31/06
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
Haha, I think this is the first Daryl interview I ever read that didn't have any Glassjaw questions.

I'm excited for that DVD.
03:49 PM on 03/31/06
truestar1015
User Info.
I'm so excited about the record and the dvd. I have to say its good to not see any Glassjaw questions. Great interview!
03:53 PM on 03/31/06
Liltimmeo
Sex Star
User Info.
Originally Posted by [Mike]
Haha, I think this is the first Daryl interview I ever read that didn't have any Glassjaw questions.

I was at this show that night! God, I love HA!
04:02 PM on 03/31/06
eubanks
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by [Mike]

amen to that...and a huge thanks to brandon for not asking...
04:30 PM on 03/31/06
Brandon Herbel
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by eubanks
amen to that...and a huge thanks to brandon for not asking...
Glad to see people liked this interview. I got alot of stuff in store the next few months and just wished I wasn't so busy the last few months to post more.
05:03 PM on 03/31/06
jawkneephighv
Dead!
User Info.
"I hope you're* [not your] into* [not in to] the new record."
Sorry, I'm picky. Cool interview though. I had no idea about the Gerard vocals. I'm stoked.
05:13 PM on 03/31/06
wiReZ
asdf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by jawkneephighv
"I hope you're* [not your] into* [not in to] the new record."
Sorry, I'm picky. Cool interview though. I had no idea about the Gerard vocals. I'm stoked.

He sings back up in Graduation Day.
06:27 PM on 03/31/06
ThriftWhore
thrift is hell.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Herbel
I told him that I wasn't going to ask him any glassjaw questions at the beginning of the interview. I figured he was getting tired of answering questions he doesn't really know the answers to.
Very respectable. I'm sure he gets asked it atleast 20 times a day.
07:59 PM on 03/31/06
jawkneephighv
Dead!
User Info.
Originally Posted by wiReZ
He sings back up in Graduation Day.
So that's why it sound so much better than the demo.
08:11 PM on 03/31/06
wtfemokid
F it, I'm gonna get me some mangoes
User Info.
the starland ballroom show was amazing. i need to buy ten copies of the dvd and give them to people, lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos