AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:44 AM on 11/21/09 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
Case Western - our little motto here is that we have just as much work as the people at the Ivy's but none of the prestige or grade inflation.

Anyway, I'm sticking pretty strictly to NY, DC, Phili. I just don't want to be anywhere else, so I'm not even going to bother with one of those other cities. I don't particularly care if I'm at the 4th-5th best school, I'm also not aiming for a big law job.

Best of luck, keep us all posted on how the application process goes.
11:20 AM on 01/19/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
All my apps are in (barring a few that I'm waiting on because I'm just not sure that I want to apply - Northeastern and Drexel b/c of the co-op and unaccredited status at Drexel, Tulane, because of location, and william and mary and bc because I just won't get in). Almost every school (except SUNY Buffalo) have said they recieved my app, and Loyola of Chicago said they would have a decision for me by Feb. 15th, so, in less than a month I'll have at least one verdict. Just figured I'd post this for the hell of it.
04:45 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Thomas Balkcom
www.twitter.com/thomasbalkcom
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 26 Years Old
Staff Member
All my apps are in (barring a few that I'm waiting on because I'm just not sure that I want to apply - Northeastern and Drexel b/c of the co-op and unaccredited status at Drexel, Tulane, because of location, and william and mary and bc because I just won't get in). Almost every school (except SUNY Buffalo) have said they recieved my app, and Loyola of Chicago said they would have a decision for me by Feb. 15th, so, in less than a month I'll have at least one verdict. Just figured I'd post this for the hell of it.

best of luck! Still working on the application process here, housing in the fall is my biggest issue so I might have to wait until next year.
09:11 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
best of luck! Still working on the application process here, housing in the fall is my biggest issue so I might have to wait until next year.
I'm not even gonna think about housing until I get all my decisions. Except I do know that I would essentially have free housing if I went to law school in DC - and my other friend goes as well (her grandma is giving her a house - an entire house!) - but, its doubtful. Honestly though, don't let housing stop you. You'll always be able to find something. And I know most schools have ways to help you even if they can't provide housing. And some schools (I know brooklyn law does) actually just promise housing.
09:14 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Thomas Balkcom
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 26 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm not even gonna think about housing until I get all my decisions. Except I do know that I would essentially have free housing if I went to law school in DC - and my other friend goes as well (her grandma is giving her a house - an entire house!) - but, its doubtful. Honestly though, don't let housing stop you. You'll always be able to find something. And I know most schools have ways to help you even if they can't provide housing. And some schools (I know brooklyn law does) actually just promise housing.

this certainly makes me feel better, thanks.
09:18 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
this certainly makes me feel better, thanks.
Yeah, I mean, I don't know where you are applying, but, look it up. I was shocked to find a few schools actually provided housing. And the ones who didn't all had some office that hooks you up with other law school kiddoes.

Housing, when compared to the hell we'll be going though, is actually the easy part.
09:20 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Also, what is the longest it has taken you guys to receive confirmation that your application was received? I sent out my apps on Jan 7th - and most schools have said my entire file is complete, but SUNY Buffalo hasn't even acknowledged anything. Can I call if I still haven't gotten any word by Monday?
09:20 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Thomas Balkcom
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 26 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah, I mean, I don't know where you are applying, but, look it up. I was shocked to find a few schools actually provided housing. And the ones who didn't all had some office that hooks you up with other law school kiddoes.

Housing, when compared to the hell we'll be going though, is actually the easy part.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks again. What did you major in for your undergrad?
09:22 PM on 01/20/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
I'll keep this in mind, thanks again. What did you major in for your undergrad?
The typical. Poli. Sci and English with minors in Public Policy and econ.
05:17 AM on 01/21/10 
User Info.
jeremyfromva
Going back to my corner to write.
VA BEACH
Male - 32 Years Old
I highly recommend the Powerscore courses over Kaplan or Princeton Review. I especially recommend the virtual classroom training, which is well worth the $995 it costs to attend. I'm applying to:

Duke
Georgetown
William and Mary
NYU
University of Pitt
Washington and Lee
University of Richmond

I had a 3.4 GPA in undergrad, but to be fair I was working full time at the same time. I think this will work in my favor, as long as I get a 168+. I think my chances will be pretty good for one of these schools with that scenario.
01:41 PM on 01/21/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
I highly recommend the Powerscore courses over Kaplan or Princeton Review. I especially recommend the virtual classroom training, which is well worth the $995 it costs to attend. I'm applying to:

Duke
Georgetown
William and Mary
NYU
University of Pitt
Washington and Lee
University of Richmond

I had a 3.4 GPA in undergrad, but to be fair I was working full time at the same time. I think this will work in my favor, as long as I get a 168+. I think my chances will be pretty good for one of these schools with that scenario.
For Pitt and Washington and Lee I don't think your LSAT needs to be anywhere near as good. I applied to those two schools, and I think average for Pitt is in the 161-63 range and W&L is 164? Grades, unless they are particularly high or particularly low are almost irrelevant as long as you have at least the average LSAT.
04:30 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
MYOB or BYO stretcher
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Also, what is the longest it has taken you guys to receive confirmation that your application was received? I sent out my apps on Jan 7th - and most schools have said my entire file is complete, but SUNY Buffalo hasn't even acknowledged anything. Can I call if I still haven't gotten any word by Monday?
Some schools will never confirm the app. was received. They will just send out your decision letter.
04:30 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
MYOB or BYO stretcher
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
For Pitt and Washington and Lee I don't think your LSAT needs to be anywhere near as good. I applied to those two schools, and I think average for Pitt is in the 161-63 range and W&L is 164? Grades, unless they are particularly high or particularly low are almost irrelevant as long as you have at least the average LSAT.
With Duke, G-Town and NYU on there I assume Pitt and W&L are his safeties.
04:32 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
MYOB or BYO stretcher
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old

Duke
Georgetown
William and Mary
NYU
University of Pitt
Washington and Lee
University of Richmond

I'd say W&M, Pitt and Rich are likely. W&L is a definite possibility and the rest are stretches with that GPA and score.
05:30 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
With Duke, G-Town and NYU on there I assume Pitt and W&L are his safeties.
The problem with what he said was that he hasn't taken the LSAT yet. And people ( at least my friends, and myself) never do as well as they think they will. So, they may not be his safeties. Also, if he hasn't taken the LSAT yet, his apps will be in crazy late, and that will hurt him.

Anyway, I got my first acceptance into Loyola Chicago today, so that was pretty exciting!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos