Password

05:49 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
Thomas Balkcom
www.twitter.com/thomasbalkcom
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 26 Years Old
Staff Member
The problem with what he said was that he hasn't taken the LSAT yet. And people ( at least my friends, and myself) never do as well as they think they will. So, they may not be his safeties. Also, if he hasn't taken the LSAT yet, his apps will be in crazy late, and that will hurt him.

Anyway, I got my first acceptance into Loyola Chicago today, so that was pretty exciting!

congrats!
07:31 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Thanks!!!

I never really know what to say to a congrats, but it feels like you have to say something.
07:35 PM on 01/26/10 
User Info.
Thomas Balkcom
www.twitter.com/thomasbalkcom
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 26 Years Old
Staff Member
Thanks!!!

I never really know what to say to a congrats, but it feels like you have to say something.

haha, I understand.
07:23 PM on 01/29/10 
User Info.
thesynapse24
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
I was also considering law school. Im graduating next year so I gotta make up my mind soon lol, but i ve talked to some professors at my school who have their law degree and from what they told me its pretty much like this; if your Jd isnt from a top tier( first or second) your going to have a real hard time finding a a decent position somewhere, especially one where your roi will be anywhere near the money you spent to get the law degree. . .
10:17 AM on 02/02/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Waitlisted at American, and I would love to get off it. Anyone know about the specifics? I'm planning on visiting. But should I wrote my LOCI before that, after that, or both before and after. What is the balance of showing your interest vs. annoying them?
02:22 PM on 02/04/10 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
Waitlisted at American, and I would love to get off it. Anyone know about the specifics? I'm planning on visiting. But should I wrote my LOCI before that, after that, or both before and after. What is the balance of showing your interest vs. annoying them?

LOCI are somewhat pointless. You're ranked on the waitlist, the letter isn't moving you ahead of people with a higher LSAT/GPA or whatever their top determining characteristic.

Go visit, talk to the Dean of Admissions and tell him how much you'd like to go to school in DC. Although, going to school in a crowded legal market with top grads from much better schools also going there has never made much sense to me (NY and DC have this problem).

Congrats on Loyola Chi.
02:24 PM on 02/04/10 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
I highly recommend the Powerscore courses over Kaplan or Princeton Review. I especially recommend the virtual classroom training, which is well worth the $995 it costs to attend. I'm applying to:

Duke
Georgetown
William and Mary
NYU
University of Pitt
Washington and Lee
University of Richmond

I had a 3.4 GPA in undergrad, but to be fair I was working full time at the same time. I think this will work in my favor, as long as I get a 168+. I think my chances will be pretty good for one of these schools with that scenario.

How'd that LSAT go?
05:02 PM on 02/04/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
LOCI are somewhat pointless. You're ranked on the waitlist, the letter isn't moving you ahead of people with a higher LSAT/GPA or whatever their top determining characteristic.

Go visit, talk to the Dean of Admissions and tell him how much you'd like to go to school in DC. Although, going to school in a crowded legal market with top grads from much better schools also going there has never made much sense to me (NY and DC have this problem).

Congrats on Loyola Chi.
Every time you post, you just manage to depress me and make me think I have no future.

Can I ask about my rank? My friend and I were curious to see, because she had lower LSATs but higher grades - we wanted to know what characteristic they'd rather have.
05:55 AM on 02/05/10 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
Every time you post, you just manage to depress me and make me think I have no future.

Can I ask about my rank? My friend and I were curious to see, because she had lower LSATs but higher grades - we wanted to know what characteristic they'd rather have.

Not posted to make you feel like that, but crowded markets where you're going to the 4th or 5th best school in the city doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you go to New York Law School and you're hoping to practice at a big firm you're behind (at least) Harvard, Yale, NYU, Penn, Columbia, Fordham, and various others. The odds of you getting a Big Law job are almost 0 unless you're in the top 5% of your class (which is almost impossible).

For DC you're behind Harvard, Yale, UVA, Georgetown, George Washington, and William and Mary. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think they'll tell you where you are on the waitlist, but you could call and check. I'm guessing based on their stats they are more concerned about LSAT. I don't see too many people with an LSAT under 160 getting in unless URM or has a GPA over 3.6.
06:09 AM on 02/05/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Not posted to make you feel like that, but crowded markets where you're going to the 4th or 5th best school in the city doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you go to New York Law School and you're hoping to practice at a big firm you're behind (at least) Harvard, Yale, NYU, Penn, Columbia, Fordham, and various others. The odds of you getting a Big Law job are almost 0 unless you're in the top 5% of your class (which is almost impossible).

For DC you're behind Harvard, Yale, UVA, Georgetown, George Washington, and William and Mary. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think they'll tell you where you are on the waitlist, but you could call and check. I'm guessing based on their stats they are more concerned about LSAT. I don't see too many people with an LSAT under 160 getting in unless URM or has a GPA over 3.6.

I'm not going for big law!!!
01:53 PM on 02/05/10 
User Info.
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
North Carolina
Male - 27 Years Old
lol at ignorance of the current legal job market. I recommend you search for future jobs in the market you see yourself practicing in and see how many are open for people with your credentials. It wont be pretty. I know people from very good schools begging for NON-PAID work when they have 100 k in loan-debt.
09:20 PM on 02/05/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Ignorance and extreme pessimism are not one in the same. Please, just let me live my life and make my own decisions without bombarding me for it. I know, the both of you have made your points many a times.
08:14 PM on 02/06/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
i was born holding elemental poison
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 27 Years Old

Unless you are going to Georgetown or G-Dub I would choose a school in a different city. Unless International Law is your interest and even then, G-Town grads will always get chosen first. D.C. is just too saturated.

EDIT: Oh, the point has been made.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward school in Philly despite the fact that I'm in at a better school in the New York market.
10:11 PM on 02/06/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Unless you are going to Georgetown or G-Dub I would choose a school in a different city. Unless International Law is your interest and even then, G-Town grads will always get chosen first. D.C. is just too saturated.

EDIT: Oh, the point has been made.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward school in Philly despite the fact that I'm in at a better school in the New York market.
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear from Temple and Villanova. What schools are you referring to?
10:20 PM on 02/06/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
i was born holding elemental poison
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Yeah, I'm waiting to hear from Temple and Villanova. What schools are you referring to?
NYU and UPenn. Good luck at Temple and Nova. My buddy is at Nova and he likes it alot. Their study abroad program is fantastic apparently.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets