check out xoxohth.com and see if you still wanna go to law school
05:37 PM on 03/30/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
check out xoxohth.com and see if you still wanna go to law school
Site made me wonder how those people were smart enough to get into law school in the first place.
05:38 PM on 03/30/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Penn places a HUGE amount of grads in NYC. Very few Penn grads stay in Philly.

Also, even if you aren't going for Big Law, going to an incredibly saturated market trickles down. Kids who wanted to do Big Law take middle firm jobs because big law isn't hiring, the kids whod usually do middle take small firms/public jobs, etc.
Hey, I have a question. Do you know anything about Temple? Reputation? Quality of life? How it compares to Nova, ect, ect, ect? Basically, whatever you know, I'd love to hear.
07:57 PM on 03/30/10 
User Info.
ohgodohnoiam
fil mish mish
Connecticut
Male - 26 Years Old
I pretty much agree with the friend here. Law school has some ups, but overall is fairly uneventful. However, everything I have done outside of the classroom has been very rewarding and bodes well for life after school.

I have some friends a little farther ahead than me who are in law school, and from all accounts, it's a pretty demoralizing few years. But if you can land a decent job after you get out, they'll say it was worth it. One of my friends said he hated law school and regretted going, but now he's got a secure job with a boss and co-workers he likes, and he's loving life. He's 29 and just put a down payment on a very nice house.

I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but the general sentiment from the people I've talked to is that it gets a lot better after you get out.
08:00 PM on 03/30/10 
User Info.
Villanova1L
Pseudo Intellectual
Hey, I have a question. Do you know anything about Temple? Reputation? Quality of life? How it compares to Nova, ect, ect, ect? Basically, whatever you know, I'd love to hear.

Temple - city, tougher part of town, more interested in trial advocacy, more generous with scholarships, and more diverse.

Villanova - suburbs, lilly white, very stingy with money, and focus is on BigLaw.

Reputation is basically equivalent. You'll hear people argue for one or the other, but both place almost equally in big/mid firms in Philadelphia. Reach for Nova is to NY (2-3 OCI for big NY jobs), don't know about Temple.

If you're interested in public interest, Nova has a great program if you get involved early and really work at it. Heard Temple also has a very good public interest and have a friend there now as a public interest fellow or something similar.
08:17 PM on 03/30/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Temple - city, tougher part of town, more interested in trial advocacy, more generous with scholarships, and more diverse.

Villanova - suburbs, lilly white, very stingy with money, and focus is on BigLaw.

Reputation is basically equivalent. You'll hear people argue for one or the other, but both place almost equally in big/mid firms in Philadelphia. Reach for Nova is to NY (2-3 OCI for big NY jobs), don't know about Temple.

If you're interested in public interest, Nova has a great program if you get involved early and really work at it. Heard Temple also has a very good public interest and have a friend there now as a public interest fellow or something similar.
Yeah, I just saw that fellowship listing. I considered applying, but in the end I think they'd probably go with someone who had higher grades/LSATs. But, the public interest stuff and trial advocacy seemed like big things there.

BTW - thanks.
04:35 PM on 04/02/10 
User Info.
zonto
Etymotic ER4 + Headamp Pico = <3
Male - 28 Years Old
Considering BYU or somewhere in Washinton, probably UW.
09:45 PM on 04/05/10 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
Here's a question: is anybody here doing the JD/MBA program, or know anything about it? I majored in English, but my math skills are strong enough that I think I could do reasonably well on the GMAT.

Does it have measurable positive consequences for your career after law school, or is it just extra work and an extra year of school with relatively little value?
10:49 AM on 04/06/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Here's a question: is anybody here doing the JD/MBA program, or know anything about it? I majored in English, but my math skills are strong enough that I think I could do reasonably well on the GMAT.

Does it have measurable positive consequences for your career after law school, or is it just extra work and an extra year of school with relatively little value?
I can't claim to know too much, but I think it depends what you want to do. Maybe if you want to do corporate it would help, or something very businessy. But, if you just want to see a straight up lawyer, I can't imagine that it would be all that helpful.
11:22 AM on 04/07/10 
User Info.
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
North Carolina
Male - 27 Years Old
I can't claim to know too much, but I think it depends what you want to do. Maybe if you want to do corporate it would help, or something very businessy. But, if you just want to see a straight up lawyer, I can't imagine that it would be all that helpful.

this...also helpful if you open your own practice.
04:04 PM on 04/07/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
So, basically, it has come down to Temple and Case for me. Mainly because all the schools in decent locations are too expensive. Case gave me 20k, and so far Temple gave me nothing. So, unless Temple comes through, I think I'm probably just staying where I am. Funny because I was 99.9% sure I would never, ever, ever come here. I don't know. Hopefully I'm making the right decision. Case seems to have good stats for getting people out of Ohio.
06:12 PM on 04/11/10 
User Info.
Chuck!
treat yo self
Philadelphia
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm taking the LSAT this June. I got a 164 on my last diagnostic but I really need to pull it up 4 points or so; my goal is UPenn, and I've read their average is 167-171. Once finals are done the second week of May, I'll have a good two or three weeks to get in a ton of prep work, I hope...
11:51 PM on 04/25/10 
User Info.
hnama
No Avatar Selected
Chicago, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
Kay
11:06 AM on 05/02/10 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Useful post is useful.
09:37 PM on 05/09/10 
User Info.
SgtSmegma
When I fly solo, I fly so high
Fayetteville, AR
Male - 26 Years Old
Seriously thinking about going back to law school, just concerned about the massive debt. Everyone I know tells me that law would be something that I would excel in, but I don't want to graduate $100k in debt and realize that I hate it.

To be honest, I'm also a bit daunted by the stories I hear of workload, etc. I was always an excellent student (graduated early summa cum laude while double majoring) but school has always come extremely easy to me. I never really had to work all that hard at it. I'm afraid I will go into it and just be blindsided. Any advice?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets