AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Elizabeth and the Catapult - Taller Children Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Elizabeth and the Catapult - Taller Children

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (08/12/09)
Elizabeth and the Catapult - Taller Children
Record Label: Verve Forecast
Release Date: June 2, 2009

Elizabeth and the Catapult is a Brooklyn-based trio centered around the songwriting panache of Elizabeth Abby-Lyn Ziman. The trio's aural core has a definitive lounge and classical vibe, while also maintaining elements of pop and singer/songwriter standards.

On the heels of a strong DIY ethic, the group signed a deal with Verve Records and relocated to Nebraska to work with producer Mike Mogis. Said result is Taller Children, the group's major-label debut. The album begins with the snarky kiss-off "Momma's Boy," a playful slap-in-the-face to a needy lover, which has a bouncy beat and confident verses. Title track "Taller Children," has a rather mundane electro-percussive beginning but hits its stride around the two-minute mark. The string-backed ballad "Rainiest Day of Summer, " follows and proves that Ziman's strengths certainly shine on ballads. Her attempt at straightforward honesty is "Apathy," an ode to anhedonia and the pangs that accompany being mired in a malaise. Reaching for something a little more whimsical, "The Hang Up," provides some of the album's more playful sentiments and Ziman's most inspired notes.

One of the Taller Children's most memorable rock songs is "Hit the Wall," a cheery, jittery number that features the disc's most accessible chorus, while "Right Next To You," has the torch vibe down pat, calling to mind Dusty Springfield, amidst a sea of keyboard, vibraphone and flugelhorn. Ziman tackles Leonard Cohen on "Everybody Knows," which truth be told sounds a lot more scintillating than the legend's version. That's not much of a stretch though, considering Cohen's wooden vocals never offer much in the first place. The disc ends with three straight sultry ballads, of which, only the slow-moving "Golden Ink" is the most memorable.

For all its charms, Taller Children has trouble standing on its own. The middle half of the album is at times uninspiring and the latter half seems to drag. This is of particular importance because the album's opening doesn't exactly push forward with gusto or kinesis. That being said there's an undeniable coffeehouse charm at work here and the intimacy and warmth is comforting. Ziman studied film scoring during her college years and the album's many layers and swirling atmospherics reveal that her time in college was well-spent. A brutally honest wordsmith, Ziman writes songs that pattern the innerworkings of the daily struggle and that talent alone is probably what will make her relative for years to come.

Elizabeth and the Catapult is Elizabeth ZIman (keys, vocals)
Danny Mload (drums)
Pete Lallish (guitar)

Track Listing1. Momma's Boy
2. Taller Children
3. Rainiest Day of Summer
4. Race You
5. Apathy
5. The Hang Up
6. Hit the Wall
7. Right Next To You
8. Everybody Knows
9. Complimentary Me
10. Golden Ink
11. Just in Time

Recommended If You Like The Bird and The Bee, Ingrid Michaelson, Norah Jones, Inara George

Find Her Here Myspace
Website
Twitter

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
10:35 AM on 08/12/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I got this promo forever ago but never actually listened to it. Maybe its time I should give it a chance
11:08 AM on 08/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I got this promo forever ago but never actually listened to it. Maybe its time I should give it a chance
I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
11:10 AM on 08/12/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
Currently spinning it now. Actually loving what I am hearing
11:15 AM on 08/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Currently spinning it now. Actually loving what I am hearing
It's pretty solid. It falls off in some places, but she sure can sing. And I adore her lyrics.
11:22 AM on 08/12/09
HometownHero
User Info.
It's pretty solid. It falls off in some places, but she sure can sing. And I adore her lyrics.
Whats your favorite track? I like the title track and in Apathy when she sings "Oh Apathy don't patronize me, I wasn't staring at nothing for nothing. Oh apathy don't hypnotize me. Once upon a time I thought I really stood for something." Loving it
11:31 AM on 08/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Whats your favorite track? I like the title track and in Apathy when she sings "Oh Apathy don't patronize me, I wasn't staring at nothing for nothing. Oh apathy don't hypnotize me. Once upon a time I thought I really stood for something." Loving it
The latter half of the title track is solid, but the start is ehhh. It's funny, I like "Apathy" lyrically, I don't know if I like it sonically. I'm a sucker for "Hit the Wall," "Momma's Boy," and "Rainiest Day of Summer."
12:05 PM on 08/12/09
HometownHero
User Info.
The latter half of the title track is solid, but the start is ehhh. It's funny, I like "Apathy" lyrically, I don't know if I like it sonically. I'm a sucker for "Hit the Wall," "Momma's Boy," and "Rainiest Day of Summer."
Momma's Boy is one of my favorites as well. I feel like this is the kind of record that will just have killer lasting value.I can tell ill come back to it again and again. She has such a lovely voice
06:56 PM on 08/12/09
BrennanHickson
Awaiting Criticism
User Info.
If you think they sound solid on the album, you should hear them live.
07:07 PM on 08/12/09
allisander
i see the mistake and its you.
User Info.
I wanted some new music and wow, I definitely found it.
09:18 PM on 08/12/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Thanks for the review. I'll check this out. The RIYL sounds promising.
11:00 PM on 08/12/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Holy crap, this is awesome.
11:38 AM on 08/13/09
sellmyoldclothz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good edit there, guy. it's only slightly less plagiarized from allmusic.com now. glad i could be of service.
12:26 PM on 08/13/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
good edit there, guy. it's only slightly less plagiarized from allmusic.com now. glad i could be of service.
Any comparison to the actual work was unintentional. I fully admit I used the AllMusic text as an outline. I had never intended to publish it as it appeared, and it was an oversight on my part for doing so. That being said, with the exception of the opening to the second paragraph, I will seriously challenge you on the fact that the current review as it stands bears any significance to AllMusic.com in its current form.
12:54 PM on 08/13/09
sellmyoldclothz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it's all good, i was just giving you a hard time. overall nice review, decent album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS