AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rookie of the Year - The Goodnight Moon Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 8.04
Creativity 7.89
Lasting Value 8.29
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Rookie of the Year - The Goodnight Moon

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (04/03/06)
Rookie of the YearThe Goodnight Moon
Release Date: April 11th, 2006
Record Label: 111 Records

Track listing:
1. The Goodnight Moon
2. Poison Like Your Own
3. Silhouettes (All Eyes Above)
4. Sign of Her Glory
5. Liars and Battlelines
6. Pop Destroyed the Scene
7. The Blue Roses
8. Life, Fall Fast Now
9. Set the Sails, Red Beret
10. The Weekend
11. Enjoy This Drive
12. Having to Let Go

I must confess: when an unmastered version of The Goodnight Moon leaked four months ago in December, I did the evil deed and downloaded it, eager for new music in that oh-so-slow time of the year, release-wise. While I instantly fell in love with the gorgeous vocals, lush, soaring choruses, smooth, harmonic guitar leads, and the heaps upon heaps of layers and accents, I was unsure of the lasting power of such an accessible, immediately pleasing album. Often, the albums that demanded repeated listens before their greatness is realized are the ones with great lasting power, and by the same logic, the albums that are loved immediately are often forgotten within weeks. Such is not the case here: I loved The Goodnight Moon when I first heard it, and I still love it, four months later.

Originally the acoustic solo project of vocalist/guitarist Ryan Dunson, Rookie of the Year shows vestiges of its beginnings, incorporating acoustic guitars with the traditional emo sounds of Copeland, The Juliana Theory, and so forth. While Rookie of the Year most certainly isn’t breaking any musical barriers and easily fits into the modern emo genre, they do what they do extremely, extremely well. Songs like “Sign of Her Glory,” with its finger-snaps, gorgeous, confident leads, swelling guitars, and beautiful background vocals, will have you singing along in no time, while the low-key, piano-based, somber, yet ultimately optimistic tune “The Blue Roses” will melt the hardest of hearts. Sure, a lot of this album may be “cliché,” especially lyrically, but honestly, Rookie of the Year performs with such conviction and emotion that it’s forgivable.

The Goodnight Moon is an absolute treat to listen to on headphones – the production is damn near perfect, and there are just so many layers (vocal harmonies, guitar harmonies, background vocals, etc): my ears literally tingle with joy when I listen with my studio headphones. While the album does show a little weakness lyrically, the music and passion both more than make up for it. This album comes highly recommended for fans of Copeland, Mae, and The Juliana Theory, and is sure to find its way into my end-of-year lists. I know it’s not cool to like music like this, particularly in the “punk” scene, but I really don’t care: I love this CD. It's beautiful.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
01:58 PM on 04/03/06
kshtoinks12
Au Revoir Shoshana!
User Info.
really sounds like the spill canvas to me. short but sweet review. i think u might be a little too emphatic, but a good buy
02:06 PM on 04/03/06
sweetforever
User Info.
very good review. I'm like you Rohan, I've fallen in love with this cd. It's beautiful
02:09 PM on 04/03/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Finally, RoKo is back with a review! Nice one bud. :thumbsup:
02:10 PM on 04/03/06
1000shadesofred
Period Blood Sandwich
User Info.
Originally Posted by kshtoinks12
really sounds like the spill canvas to me. short but sweet review. i think u might be a little too emphatic, but a good buy

this album has more of a days away feel to it... def worth buying.... but also like spill canvas also... but i like rookie of the year better
02:16 PM on 04/03/06
redlightpledge
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Rookie Of the Year make beautiful music, no doubt. Their shows are always good and they're too nice of guys. I can't stop listening to this album at pureVOLUME either. Great review for a great album.
02:17 PM on 04/03/06
IAmAmazing
I want to beLIEve
User Info.
i cant wait to get this CD
02:20 PM on 04/03/06
kg00d
Hockey consumes my life
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I never thought much of these guys before but this cd is really good. I really enjoy this, so many tracks that just stick in my head.
02:30 PM on 04/03/06
dekdog11
needs you so much closer
User Info.
haha i agree with you about the slow time of the year
i dled it and fell in love
great review dude
02:35 PM on 04/03/06
Ruggiero2oo8
don't worry, be happy
User Info.
such a good CD. nice review of it as well.
02:48 PM on 04/03/06
two_days_slow
User Info.
Originally Posted by kg00d
I never thought much of these guys before but this cd is really good. I really enjoy this, so many tracks that just stick in my head.
agreed
02:58 PM on 04/03/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
good review, but this cd is mehhhh
03:01 PM on 04/03/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
I am quite sure I will remember this album by the end of the year.
03:07 PM on 04/03/06
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
I am lovin' this album right now. It will definately be in my end of the year lists.
03:10 PM on 04/03/06
Grybo
True Punk Fan
User Info.
really good review, im really excitecd for this release.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums