AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Left On Empire - 01.07.09

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (08/15/09)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Left On Empire - (Justin Abbott) [myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, our drummer lives on Empire Drive. You take a left to get on his street. Not the most creative thing in the world, but we liked it better than our old name, Dingledine.

2. How did this band get started?
The other three members in the band started it out of boredom, and they had always wanted to be in a band. I joined about a year and a half after the formation.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Starting out, our main influences were Blink-182, New Found Glory, and Green Day. Some newer bands that have influenced us have been Set Your Goals and Four Year Strong. We were amazed when we heard FYS, and they influence the harder side of us. Some personal influences for myself however are MxPx, Alkaline Trio, New Found Glory, and Saves the Day.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

New Found Glory seem like great dudes, and hilarious, so I think that would be the main band I would want to tour with if I could pick any band. Four Year Strong, Red Car Wire, or The Wonder Years would be way cool also.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'll have to go with a bear. Bears are fierce.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We are just four kids trying to have fun playing the music we love to make. If no one else, we love our own songs, and we'd like other people to share a similar love with us.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Heroes Get Remembered, Legends Never Die" by Four Year Strong. The drums would be insane, and actually I don't even know how that would play out, without a double bass pedal. And the pinch harmonics would be nuts.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Our fans, families, friends, and anyone who would've helped us achieve the Grammy.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Record labels signing so many bands that sound exactly like each other. So many bands sound so similar to one another, and always tour with one another, and it just gets boring to me. No matter what genre, there are always bands that sound just like another labelmate.

10. Memorable tour experience?
First out of town show ever, our van breaks down at the border of the next state. We had to drive back at midnight, and couldn't go over 45 the entire way home, on the interstate. What would've been a four hour drive turned into a seven and a half hour drive.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I think AP is great. It gives so many bands exposure to thousands of people every day. It also entertains me, and keeps me informed. I love AP!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
A new song that we just wrote, called "Coming True." Whenever we write a new song, that turns in to my favorite to play. Playing new material is always refreshing to us as a band, even though fans like to hear older stuff. I think that's how most bands feel.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I went to Cozumel, Mexico when I was younger with my family. I think about going back now with friends, and it would be one hell of a time. Anywhere with a beach and good time.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
90's radio tunes, for sure. Anywhere from Third Eye Blind to Ricky Martin, I love 90's hits. New Found Glory's self-titled record was my favorite for quite some time growing up.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

To be able to fly. I believe that flying would be the single coolest thing ever. I could do so many more things. Being invisible would also be sweet. I could do a lot more things that people wouldn't find out about haha

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not at all, haha. We're actually just starting out. We're a year shy of graduating from high school, and we do it just because we love playing shows, and love making music. While I hope someday to "make it," I'm not even sure I really understand what that means at this point. I think there's always something more to achieve, some way to better yourself, or your music.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm a seventeen year old kid from suburban Missouri. That's pretty much about it, I go to a lame Catholic high school, and am ready to move on from that.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Halloween or New Year's Eve. Always the best parties.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Watch movies. I go to the movie theater by myself when no one will go with me. I'm always interested in some movie playing.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Well, collectively, we are THE best Mario Super Strikers and NBA Hoopz players ever. I'm not even kidding, challenge us. We will win.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums