Password

Album Review
Sleeping Giant - Sons Of Thunder Album Cover

Sleeping Giant - Sons Of Thunder

Reviewed by
Sleeping Giant - Sons Of Thunder
Release Date: July 23, 2009
Record Label: Facedown Records
When Atreyu's A Death Grip on Yesterday was released, many people were disappointed that it only had nine tracks and was considered an album. I was one of those people. I thought Atreyu could do a little better and put more heart into it. Sleeping Giant's new album Sons of Thunder contains nine tracks of in-your-face, hard hitting, Christian hardcore songs, and is nothing short of compassionate.

Sons of Thunder opens with the track "Gang Signs" and jumps right into the action. Frontman Thom Green exclaims, "I'm going to pray for the one who gave everything for me!" Green's lyrics in every song are in-your-face, but at the same time compassionate. "Kill me, smash me to the ground, you'll never defeat me." In the hardcore genre today, only a handful of bands are labeled as "Christian" bands, but Sleeping Giant rise above just being labeled Christian. Green's powerful lyrics are something that can't go unheard.

Backing these powerful lyrics are two skilled guitar players and a great drummer. If you were a fan of the band's debut Dread Champions of the Last Days, you won't be disappointed in Sons of Thunder. The title track of the album, shows us the softer side of Sleeping Giant. Greens vocals sound great over the lower tone put out by Sleeping Giants guitarists. The majority of Sons of Thunder is the straight-up Christian hardcore sound you are used to hearing. With bone-shattering breakdowns, Sleeping Giant hit hard on every song except the last track, "He Will Reign." On the last track, we hear Green's powerful voice with a piano, something you wouldn't expect to hear on a Sleeping Giant album. It's your traditional praise song and sounds great.

Sleeping Giant takes their sincere message and proclaim it with their chugging guitars, pounding double bass, and intense lyrics. If you get a chance, I recommend them live. They put on a great show, with lots of energy, heart, and get their message through to their audience. Be sure to pick up Sons Of Thunder.

Recommended If You LikeStick To Your Guns; Sleeping Giant's Dread Champions of the Last Days
This review is a user submitted review from Handraa. You can see all of Handraa's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
11:15 PM on 08/31/09
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Good review; love this album.
02:48 AM on 09/01/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
One of the best releases this year. Pleasantly surprised - way better than the debut and that was quite a hard feat to achieve.
05:23 AM on 09/01/09
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
I was really looking forward to this, and I really like a few songs from it, but there's been no lasting value for me at all.

If you like this, check out Creator by Hands.
07:03 AM on 09/01/09
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Great album. Saw these guys on Scream the Prayer. Needless to say, it was a lot of fun.
02:15 PM on 09/05/09
Brett3
User Info.
Really good album.
09:20 AM on 10/02/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
nothing good compared to dread champions.
09:21 AM on 10/02/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Great album. Saw these guys on Scream the Prayer. Needless to say, it was a lot of fun.
These dudes made me fall to my knees at scream the prayer. the story he shared before whoremonger.. amazing.
10:33 PM on 12/18/10
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I saw them live they actually seem better live than on recordings

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT