Password

Album Review

Energy - Invasions Of the Mind Album Cover

Energy - Invasions Of the Mind

Reviewed by
Energy - Invasions Of the Mind
Record Label: Bridge Nine Records
Release Date: September 30, 2008
If you would have told me that in 2008, I of all people would have a Bridge Nine Records release in even my honorable mentions of that year, I would have straight up laughed at you. I am not trying to say that I don’t enjoy a good breakdown or two every now and again or tough dudes playing tough music, but though I am from Boston, I’m not that tough. I wear skinny jeans and frequent places like Urban Outfitters and H&M, and my favorite band is Copeland. So needless to say, Bridge Nine Records doesn’t have a lot of stock in my record collection. But oddly enough, I was struck by something from that label, struck enough to actually get an album and listen to it and actually enjoy it. Even more odd was the fact that this record came from Bridge Nine and it wasn’t the heaviest thing on the earth. If anything, for its genre, it was pretty melodic. Clean singing?! WHAT?! This is not the Bridge Nine I knew about. The band I'm talking about is Energy, and their latest release is Invasions Of the Mind.

The intro to the album brings what I expect to hear from Bridge Nine Records - feedback that crawls into an intro breakdown. But after that, the music just starts to gallop out of a gates and opens up into Energy’s brand of melodic punk that I had never really heard done as well as they do it. It combines the catchy-ness of Four Years Strong without the gimmick (“Hunter Red”, “Hail the Size Of Grapes”) and the intensity of Bane or Comeback Kid without being overtly in your face (“The Silence”). But the place where they really shine is when they let the intensity come out. The melodic tag might give the impression that they are the wusses of the genre, but I can assure you that this is not the case. Songs like “Heaven” or “The Silence” show that Energy is ready for action. But at the same time they pump out some of the catchiest choruses that you’ll hear (“Hail To the Size Of Grapes”, “400”).

There is a point in the album in which the band shows what they are willing to explore songwriting-wise. “The Satellite and the Hit” starts out like most songs on the album but then a groovy bass line takes over the verses and a desperate plea of “Will you save me when they come for me?” comes from the chorus and the whole song is slower and more impactful and emotional than any other song on the rest of the album.

Invasions Of the Mind came out of left field, at least for me, and hit me over the head. It was by far one of the catchier albums of 2008, and this is coming from someone you will not find at a Have Heart show anytime soon. But if you are looking for something that you can take seriously that is equal parts catchy, fast, and upbeat and you don’t want to go for the gimmicks, then just let Energy invade your mind (I know, I know, it’s corny but come on, that title was asking for it).

Recommended If You Likeearly Saves the Day; Comeback Kid; Set Your Goals

myspace.com/thisisenergy
This review is a user submitted review from xsinkshipsx. You can see all of xsinkshipsx's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
08:29 PM on 09/05/09
billy_yo
Registered Member
User Info.
i love this cd. so stoked to see them on the 23rd with AL4W and the wonder years
09:08 PM on 09/05/09
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
I like some of this album, but there is way too much autotune in the vocals, it kind of ruins it for me. Listening to their Ep, his voice isn't too bad, I don't get the point of them having it.
09:11 PM on 09/05/09
theMIKEman
we're here to fuck shit up.
User Info.
I got to see them last December. They were pretty amazing live.
Solid band, solid album.
09:55 PM on 09/05/09
simplelivin_GCH
drowning in the midwest
User Info.
great album..however i can't understand how the "recommended if you like" bands sound anything like them...i think AFI is alot more fair to compare them to
08:45 AM on 09/06/09
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Kinda weird generalizing in this review...I think there's like 3 breakdowns on the last 10 albums B9's released. Plus, this album sounds much more like watered down, poorly produced AFI/BR worship. It's got its moments but they're few and far between. A bummer, because some of the guitar melodies on their older stuff are really thoughtful and tasteful.

This and the Ambitions full-length are probably the only 2 B9 releases I haven't liked in some capacity in the last 2 years. That's a feat for any label.
04:22 PM on 09/06/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
Kinda weird generalizing in this review...I think there's like 3 breakdowns on the last 10 albums B9's released. Plus, this album sounds much more like watered down, poorly produced AFI/BR worship. It's got its moments but they're few and far between. A bummer, because some of the guitar melodies on their older stuff are really thoughtful and tasteful.

This and the Ambitions full-length are probably the only 2 B9 releases I haven't liked in some capacity in the last 2 years. That's a feat for any label.
eh, I liked it...sorry?
09:56 PM on 09/06/09
Dumpweed
Do you like my party tricks?
User Info.
Love this band. Good review too.

And yeah, RIYL - old school AFI.
10:52 PM on 09/06/09
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
I agree with the people that say it sounds kinda like AFI, but that's a good thing in my book.
09:33 AM on 09/07/09
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
This albums is horrible. How can anyone like this? With that said, they used to be a fucking awesome band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos