AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Punchline - 37 Everywhere Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.58
Musicianship 9.58
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9.36
Creativity 9.28
Lasting Value 9.44
Reviewer Tilt 9.61
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Punchline - 37 Everywhere

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (04/10/06)
PUNCHLINE - 37 Everywhere

Just because Punchline is on Fueled By Ramen does not mean they are Fall Out Boy clones. In fact, they are far from it. With the release of their second album off FBR, 37 Everywhere, Punchline has proven to be just slightly a step ahead of the majority of pop-punk bands these days. On, 37, this Pittsburgh four-piece (vocalist/guitarist Steve Soboslai, guitarist/vocalist Greg Wood, bassist/vocalist Chris Fafalios, and drummer PJ Caruso) fuse honest lyrics, melody, and a lotta guitar into an eleven song pop-punk party.

Crashing guitars begin “Flashlight,” followed by the harmony of Soboslai and Fafalios singing, “Words can make you feel like feathers/but all my friends/they know you better.” Anthony Raneri of Bayside fame lends his vocals at the end of this track, making this a great opener. “Don’t Try This At Home” features guitars that weave back and forth throughout, while “The Getaway” begins with a gentle riff that brings you into hard-hitting intro that catches your attention. A somber track, “The Getaway” is about a lost friendship, “You used up your chances/go find someone else to ruin/I think you’re ugly on the inside.” The album regains its upbeat tempo with “Green Light,” an anthem song that again features the strength of this album, which is the guitar work. The guitar work is nothing groundbreaking or sensational, but it is done well for pop-punk. “Caller 10” will be one of the catchiest songs you’ll hear this spring, and the rhythm section of Fafalios and Caruso carries this song. “For The Second Time” brings the album down a bit. While it’s not a bad song, it really kills the momentum of the album. Thankfully, “The Fake, The Snake, And The Birthday Cake” picks it up with snappy vocals and clap-along moments. “How Could You” is an energetic piece that has the potential to become a fan favorite, and “Wars Will Always Happen” has a slight dance vibe in the chorus. “They Are Strong Hands” begins with a slick bass line that carries the first minute of the song, but picks it up in the chorus. The finale, “Exactly,” is a brisk track with colliding guitars and peppy drumming; it is the best track on the album and closes out 37 in high fashion.

37 Everywhere is not an album that’ll catch your ear instantly, it takes a few listens before you really enjoy it. It has more substance than most pop-punk albums because the vocals are solid and the lyrics aren’t cheesy for the most part, which will benefit mature listeners. 37 is also light on the pop and heavy on the guitars, which helps in making this a very enjoyable album. Some downfalls of the album are “For The Second Time,” which hurts the overall flow of the album, the second half of the album is a lot weaker than the first half, and the fact that I don’t know if this album will have a lot of staying power. But for the time being, it has been dominating my stereo.

Punchline is one of the most underrated pop-punk bands right now, being overshadowed on a label that is home to The Academy Is… and Panic! At The Disco, but with 37 Everywhere, they have stuck true to their sound and have made a very solid album that deserves a lot of attention. If you have $12 bucks extra this Tuesday, I definitely recommend buying 37 Everywhere instead of, say, Rookie Of The Year or Hit The Lights (yes, the same Hit The Lights that I hastily proclaimed as the best pop-punk album so far of 2006 last week. Thanks Punchline for making me look stupid :thumbsup:). 37 Everywhere is as good as it is surprising, and is one of the better Fueled By Ramen releases in the past few years and one of the better pop-punk albums that’ll be released in 2006.

Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. Flashlight
2. Don't Try This At Home
3. The Getaway
4. Green Light
5. Caller 10
6. For The Second Time
7. The Fake, The Snake, And The Birthday Cake
8. How Could You
9. Wars Will Always Happen
10. They Are Strong Hands
11. Exactly
Produced by: Shep Goodman & Kenny Gioia

Punchline are:
Steve Soboslai - guitar/vocals
Greg Wood - guitar/vocals
Chris Fafalios - bass/vocals
PJ Caruso - drums

Release Date: April 11, 2006
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
10:53 AM on 04/10/06
leftstranded
myspace.com/leftstranded
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
37 Everywhere is not an album that’ll catch your ear instantly, it takes a few listens before you really enjoy it. It has more substance than most pop-punk albums because the vocals are solid and the lyrics aren’t cheesy for the most part, which will benefit mature listeners. 37 is also light on the pop and heavy on the guitars, which helps in making this a very enjoyable album. Some downfalls of the album are “For The Second Time,” which hurts the overall flow of the album, the second half of the album is a lot weaker than the first half, and the fact that I don’t know if this album will have a lot of staying power. But for the time being, it has been dominating my stereo.

Spot on review. Me being a fan of punchline before the fueled by ramen days when major motion picture came out, i will say that they have always kept to the same style, but have perfected it on this album. From the songs i've heard it's going to be very exciting and i think this will be the one of the best pop-punk albums of 2006. Most people are going to have to open their ears and give it at least 3 to 4 listens in order to get this album but it will stick for a long time.
10:57 AM on 04/10/06
Boring Pop Song
youre gettin the big boot
User Info.
seriously love this album. the end
10:59 AM on 04/10/06
nivek87
Live Together, Die (M)alone
User Info.
i loved action, and i think this album is even better
11:00 AM on 04/10/06
Nick Lopez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Listened to this 14 times so far.
11:04 AM on 04/10/06
derricklc22
Gentelman in Training
User Info.
Great review. This album is getting plays between a bunch of albums right now, but I can tell its going to have a lasting value.

I think the last two Punchline albums have both been great.
11:05 AM on 04/10/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Yayyy, beautiful review Drew. Love love love my Punchline. Don't forget to check out "Count to 37".
11:13 AM on 04/10/06
asparagus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a great review for a great album.
11:31 AM on 04/10/06
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
good review. i haven't heard it, but i'll check it out now.
11:38 AM on 04/10/06
Katie Schmitz
OMGZ SKWRL!
User Info.
Good review Drew. I didn't hear much I enjoyed at first but after a few listens it's definitely something I will be buying come tomorrow :)
12:50 PM on 04/10/06
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
Nice review.
01:00 PM on 04/10/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
I'm a fan of this album. Good stuff.
01:01 PM on 04/10/06
FallOutBoyPunch
pressure's mountin',I don't Everest
User Info.
I own every Punchline album and the EP, and I think this may end up being my favorite. Greg Wood really put them over the top. It basically already secured itself in my top ten for this year.
01:26 PM on 04/10/06
Salomonbz90
Public Sphere>Special Interest
User Info.
Originally Posted by FallOutBoyPunch
I own every Punchline album and the EP, and I think this may end up being my favorite. Greg Wood really put them over the top. It basically already secured itself in my top ten for this year.
im with you. this is a solid album from a very respectable band.
02:01 PM on 04/10/06
End is Forever
User Info.
I liked this cd from the first time I pressed play and heard Flashlight. Good review also.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums