AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

I'm Not Holden Caulfield - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
I'm Not Holden Caulfield - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

I'm Not Holden Caulfield - (Adam Fernandez) [myspace] [ap.net profile]

1. How did you get your band name?
Originally, I'm Not Holden Caulfield was just a song, until a friend of mine suggested it could be a good name too. It's based on all these bands that take that self-righteous attitude of Holden Caulfield from Catcher In The Rye and proclaim everyone else to be phony except for them when all the while, like Caulfield in the book, they are exactly the same way. The name of the band dares to reject all that by saying "I'm not gonna say that I'm different and everything else is phony because that would make me like everyone else". It's also a self-deprecating name, because if you listen to it, I DO sound like everyone else, or rather my songs all sound the same.

2. How did this band get started?
INHC was supposed to be an outlet for my non-political songs, and it was supposed to be a full band. I had another acoustic project called The Martyr's Sympathy which was all acoustic political folk punk (ala Against Me!). Over time, I started shying away from mostly political stuff and I was really proud of the INHC stuff so I decided to make that my full time project and make it solely acoustic. TMS just got absorbed into that because some of the songs written for that became part of the repertoire.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I have like a million influences musically, but as far as this band goes, probably the obvious ones are Against Me!, Andrew Jackson Jihad, City And Colour, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Decemberists, Brand New, Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution, Bright Eyes, State Radio, among other things. My greatest musical influences of all time are Tomas Kalnoky (Streetlight Manifesto and BOTAR), Jack Terricloth (The World/Inferno Friendship Society, of which one of the songs I named after him), and Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys).

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I think it'd be really fun to tour with Streetlight Manifesto and World/Inferno, even though our sounds are different. Maybe Brand New, since I've played a couple Brand New songs and I'd love to be able to sing with Jesse Lacey on the same stage. As for past bands, I'd love to open for a show for The Beatles, just so when they take the stage it makes them even better sounding than the crappy band that opened up for them.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Probably a Ferret. Most people would tell you it's because I stink, but I'd wanna one because it's easy to slip outta people's hands.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to INHC if they wanna hear music that's raw at the source. The shit's done completely DIY on a computer with the Rock Band USB mic. There's no super-awesome budget (Take that Axl!), there's no great producer at the helm and there's no desire for fame or fortune. It's just music, and I think alot of bands have lost that kind of sense to themselves.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Well considering it's all acoustic, it'd be kind of a waste of time, but I'd probably say "Kira", just because it's a fast song to play and the vocals get pretty tough to keep up with at the end, even for me.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I'd be flattered, but I'd probably give it away to one of the other nominees who were more deserving of it. Really, no lie. I'm really sick of that shit. When I got into music and found out that Jethro Tull had beaten out Metallica for best metal performance, even though I found out about it years later, I thought "who gets to decide this shit and how is it decided?". So I'd probably give it away, or just get up, shrug, and then leave it on stage and walk out.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Hey, here's something: How about record labels start giving a shit about the artist and not the money? I'd dissolve the RIAA, who I am a strict opponent of. I understand their argument against P2P downloads, but it's not right to target individual downloaders like that. I give all my music away for free and leave people the option of paying for it or not (Yes...like Radiohead). I think the RIAA is a monster looming toward extinction, and as NOFX put it "Dinosaurs will die".

10. Memorable tour experience?
Um, I opened up for a local band starting to get big in Miami called And Then There Was You. It was at a Hot Topic and even though I got to play 4 songs, it was the first time I was playing to the audience that I wanted to play for, rather than a bunch of old people at an open mic night. I also went back to my old High School and played a show for a friend of mine who set one up. I was the only returning student and I called out the principal on stage and openly criticized her. I was a hit with the students, not so much the parents and the administration, but I had a blast.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a pretty sweet forum and an excellent news source for music. Tate really hit it on the head when he made it. I'm addicted to the Polls and the "What Albums Did You Listen To Today" thread, of which I post at the end of each day.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I open up every show with Jack Terricloth, which is a criticism of the music industry, so that's a favorite. I also close with Leaving Here, pt. I, because it's appropriate and people can sing along to it. My absolute favorite song to play live is probably Kira, which is funny since it's a b-side, but it's the only time when I can insult the audience and they don't know it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love Disney World. I've been going there every year since I was a little kid. I also love to ski, I've been to Colorado and Vermont twice each. I'd probably wanna go to Vermont for the snow again, I really miss it.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Mostly the pop-punk that was circulating around 2002-2003 when I was in 8th grade. Good Charlotte's "Young And The Hopeless" was big with me, even though it went downhill after that. A friend of mine showed me Metallica when I was 12 years old, ...And Justice For All is still my favorite album because it opened the door to all sorts of things. There's some music that I didn't listen to that the sound just reminds me of when I was little. Eisley is one of them (their first record, Room Noises) and Radical Face. Their album, Ghost, puts me to sleep, in a good way.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I saw this flash cartoon called Tomorrow's Nobodies, and one of the characters received the power of The Cum Touch, which is the ability to give an orgasm to whatever he touches. I was like "I want that!". So yeah, the Cum Touch. Either that or to fly, which is always cool.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Am I doing what I wanna do? Hell yeah. Is there more that I can do that I wanna do? Hell yeah. But really, I don't feel I've truly made it until I'm approached by a major, RIAA label to sign, and then I have the opportunity to do what I've always wanted to do: tell them to fuck off.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm a pretty open person, so there's not much somebody can't find out about me just by asking me. I guess this could count: I have, as of right now, 251 different shirts. I wrote them all down in a notebook and I have a cycle in which I wear them in, usually corresponding to whenever I'm in school. I also have a seperate shirt cycle for work. More often than not, you will see in a different shirt everyday, not ever repeating until you've long forgotten that I've worn that shirt before.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
My birthday. Yes, it's a holiday. I would say Christmas, just because of the season (and the gifts, who am I kidding?), but winter in Miami, FL is a fucking joke.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Write, play, and listen to music, watch movies and TV, play video games, spend time with my girlfriend, and read. I read alot. Oh, and masturbate.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I have a vast knowledge of all things music, past and present, so much so that my friends usually refer to me when they don't know about something.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
12:42 PM on 08/22/09
thedondeluge
We are Beggars all.
User Info.
Catcher In The Rye huh?
01:41 PM on 08/22/09
Simulcast
All farewells are sudden
User Info.
GREAT OBSERVATION thedondeluge.

x
03:28 PM on 08/22/09
DoubleAW
The Next Horizon / Eugene
User Info.
Had me at Tomas Kalnoky.
08:25 PM on 08/22/09
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
LOL at the t-shirt stuff.
06:48 AM on 08/23/09
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
I love that AP does these interviews. Keep it up
09:55 PM on 08/23/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
I masturbate too! We should hang out some time.
08:47 AM on 08/24/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
An indie musician that hates major labels?...well I NEVER!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos