|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Paper Rival - (Jake) [myspace]
1. How did you get your band name?The Canadian band Keating shared that name with us. They were our Rival on Paper. Paper Rival.
2. How did this band get started?
Four people wanted to try something that felt a little more valid than what they were doing at the time.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Soul Coughing, Folk Implosion, Television, Why?, Nick Cave, Van Morrison, Nina Simone, Leadbelly, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Lou Reed, Pantera.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Soul Coughing. To me they just got it right. That doesn't mean that other bands haven't. The lyrics are simple, meaningful, and not pretentious. The music is Meticulous but also very spontaneous. On top of that, each member is an exceptional musician.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I don't know what a furry is.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
It is nearly impossible to answer this question the right way. Paper Rival isn't around anymore but if for whatever reason you happen to hear our band, maybe it can open a door to other artists that you haven't heard before that we took inspiration from.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would choose "Love you Dead" because it's a shitty song. It would be extremely easy to "five-star on expert."
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
All the bands we ripped off to make our songs sound the way they did.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Nothing, the music industry is right where it needs to be. It has always been a problem. The thing I would change is the negative impact of social acceptance based solely on particular trends in fashion, music, film, and other mediums. I have a huge amount of respect for any kid trying to get through high school with all of the pressure there is to fit in. So much more now than there was 10 years ago when I was in high school.
10. Memorable tour experience?
On our first tour ever, my ex-girlfriend and myself watched members of another band rape an underage girl. That was deplorable, and I will never have another nice thing to say about them for the rest of my life.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means absolutepunk.net. Or so I thought?
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Lately I've been learning a lot of covers. "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm" by the Crash test dummies is on the top of the list. Next to "Spoiled" by Sebadoh.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Jethro Tull, Indigo Girls, En Vogue, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Billy Idol.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
"He can see through wooden doors." -Freddy got Fingered.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Me or the band? Well, I look like a young Richard Dreyfuss, which rules. and the band.... um.... We turned down a tour supporting Chevelle and got in trouble. ha.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Watch movies. Blu Ray bitch.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can burp the entire alphabet twice without stopping.
05:00 PM on 08/24/09
take your time coming home
05:18 PM on 08/24/09
Loves shittyass pop music
So... did they watch these band members rape an underage girl... and not try to stop them?
05:24 PM on 08/24/09
Was wondering the exact same thing ...
06:04 PM on 08/24/09
wtf about the rape thing. but i really like their song "You're Right". That's it though.
07:27 PM on 08/24/09
very interesting interview.
07:36 PM on 08/24/09
I miss this band.
07:54 PM on 08/24/09
this is beyond random, but damn do I miss them. Dialog is in my truck right now
08:44 PM on 08/24/09
Shame they're not around anymore.
08:44 PM on 08/24/09
I don't know what a furry is either.
09:11 PM on 08/24/09
Ooo! i wonder what band it was..
09:34 PM on 08/24/09
this guy just doesnt give a shit haha
11:49 PM on 08/24/09
if you cant beat em, join em
11:54 PM on 08/24/09
The tone of his answers makes this guy sound like he hates life. I like Paper Rival, though.
More From This Author