AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Taking Back Sunday - New Again Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.75
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 4
Production 6
Creativity 4.25
Lasting Value 1
Reviewer Tilt 2
Final Verdict: 40%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.7
Musicianship 6.79
Lyrics 6.48
Production 6.76
Creativity 6.36
Lasting Value 6.33
Reviewer Tilt 6.6
Average: 66%
Inside AP.net

Taking Back Sunday - New Again

Reviewed by: anamericangod (08/26/09)
Taking Back Sunday New Again
Record Label: Warner Bros.
Release Date: June 2, 2009

Jack off with sandpaper. Walk in on my girlfriend in bed with my best friend. Cross the demilitarized zone into North Korea, naked and waving an American flag while proclaiming "The South shall rise again!" Fill a prescription for Craig Owens. Dance in the desert with B-Bones. Vote Republican.

You might ask, "What do all these dreadful, nightmarish things have in common?" I answer to you, dear readers, they are all things I would rather do than listen to Taking Back Sunday's latest effort, New Again. The word "effort" is being used extremely loosely here. Remember that girl back in high school that had self esteem so low she would fuck anything that moved? That's how loose we're talking.

The title track, as proclaiming as you might expect it to be, is not. Amongst "Hey heys," weak gang vocals, and a muddy, slurred chorus that drags on and on, the song is almost instantly forgettable. "Sink Into Me" continues the bands new addiction with chants of "hey hey!" Decent rhythm and hand claps aren't enough to save this choppy and trite track. "Lonely, Lonely" starts off as what could be a nu-metal song. "Cut Me Up Jenny" is the worst song this band has ever recorded. "Where My Mouth Is" is the most melodic and, in some sense, the most familiar, song on the album. Even so, it feels halfway done. For being a song with such heavy emotional content, discussing the breakup of the original lineup, the song lacks any real, vocalized emotion. It's an easy listen, it's radio friendly, and it's not anywhere near as obnoxious or aggravating as the majority of the other tracks on this album are. Regardless, the song is missing anything truly captivating about it. That is what this album lacks. Anything to make you want to come back for more, again, over and over.

There is no "One-Eighty By Summer." There's no "Slowdance." God knows there's no "You're So Last Summer." There isn't even a "MakeDamnSure." This album is a clinic in mediocrity.

It's as if the band, in an attempt to be "new again," decided that being "good again" wasn't a viable option. Taking Back Sunday threw it away just to prove that they could, and this is what they have become, and this is where they are. It seems they are simply going to the bank to cash the check. They are a band riding off of their legacy, selling albums almost entirely because the namesake they keep of the ghost of the band they once were, and depending on who you ask, they are either at a dead end, or they are at the final fork in their path.

One of the roads leads to some sort of rebirth for the group, while the other leads to the continued and inevitable downfall of the band that, at one point, were the kings of the scene, a band that had something that ignited a spark in the heart of so many listeners.

Bands do indeed change and evolve, but they also regress, and at times they crawl into a cocoon of mediocrity. This is the case with the new regime in Taking Back Sunday. While some may say that the criticism the band now receives is simply from people who cannot get over what this band once was, or what their songs used to mean at a certain point in time, or that the nostalgia is just too overwhelming for people to listen to this album and enjoy it, I will tell you one thing:

You are wrong.

We are a cynical, jaded, spoiled, fleeting, and heartbroken generation, but that doesn't mean we've lost all ability to recognize worthwhile music when it is created. This album is not one of those that need be recognized, and it is a shame.

New Again is a polarizing album, but people haven't thrown in the towel on Taking Back Sunday because they can't get over their nostalgia; they've given up because they know this band is capable of so much more, but the pieces just aren't being put together properly for whatever reason.

Taking Back Sunday is a band that will never be forgotten by the scene, no doubt about it. Their accomplishments and praises need not be told here, as they are already so well known. They have achieved their immortality; they have done what they were sent here to do.

New Again will not be any significant part of the reasons for these incredible accolades.

Recommended If You LikeMediocrity, sub-par radio rock, Noah Fawkes, waterboarding, hearing good bands go bad, rimjobs, http://tinyurl.com/oe3cgp

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 193.
05:32 PM on 09/07/09
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
I agree with everything you said. The only song I actually liked was the last track. Oh, and I loved your intro.
08:35 PM on 09/07/09
:-)
User Info.
Here's to hoping this review gets more comments than Noah Fawkes's does...
GLuck
12:12 AM on 09/08/09
ArTkY_
oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
User Info.
hahahaha
01:02 AM on 09/08/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Wow, you really spoke your mind and did it in an articulate, amusing and fashionably quick way. I love how much controversy this highly mediocre album has spurned. People are wasting way too much energy on this album over anything actually, um, IMPORTANT!
01:27 AM on 09/08/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Wow, you really spoke your mind and did it in an articulate, amusing and fashionably quick way. I love how much controversy this highly mediocre album has spurned. People are wasting way too much energy on this album over anything actually, um, IMPORTANT!

Taking Back Sunday - You Know How I Do

But yeah, this had been on my list to take care of for a while. Glad I finally finished it. Time to move on and forget about this album.
04:23 AM on 09/08/09
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
Quote:
We are a cynical, jaded, spoiled, fleeting, and heartbroken generation, but that doesn't mean we've lost all ability to recognize worthwhile music when it is created.

05:25 AM on 09/08/09
Ghost of Noah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
From the same guy who loves All Time Low and proclaimed them as the kings of pop punk?

It reads like being really really pissed off with a former lover. Did they break your heart or something?

You are right about one thing though. You are the poster boy of this cynical, jaded, spoiled, fleeting, and heartbroken generation; but that does mean you have lost all ability to recognize worthwhile music when it is created.

But don't take all the ship with you, sir. There's enough people around this scene capable of recognizing when good music it's created. Your rant just sounds as a pissed off letter to a scene this band would be way better off. And thank god for them letting you pissed up to a point you have gone out of your way to write this. It means they've done it right.

And by the way, any song out of this record is better than anything it came out of All Time Low's Nothing Personal and Brand New's Daisy. Some people complain about AltPress reviews on ap.net, but Scott Heisel is a better reviewer than any of us around here, at least I've never seen him raving about how good Nothing Personal and Daisy are. Deny it all the day long, mate. But your new lovers suck and the band that gave up on you and this scene is rocking harder than ever.

I honestly hope they keep pissing you off through all their carreers. This scene is nothing but a bad joke.
05:38 AM on 09/08/09
Ghost of Noah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm really curious about your thoughts on Daisy. Really curious. anamericangod has already gone in the record of saying that Daisy isn't better than New Again. I doubt he will admit it though.

But that's why printscreens are here for. I doubt you'll review it since you're only called to make "Plain White T's" reviews of records ap.net love to hate and praise the shit out of records that ap.net love to love. And I really doubt you'd be honest about it, even though I honestly think that your thoughts about New Again are honest. I just disagree with them. And someone who loves Less Than Jake calling any TBS record as mediocre is quite entertaining.

That's my contribuition for your thread, Joe. Enough drama to raise hell. C'mon and beat my review comments.
06:48 AM on 09/08/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I'm really curious about your thoughts on Daisy. Really curious. anamericangod has already gone in the record of saying that Daisy isn't better than New Again. I doubt he will admit it though.

But that's why printscreens are here for. I doubt you'll review it since you're only called to make "Plain White T's" reviews of records ap.net love to hate and praise the shit out of records that ap.net love to love. And I really doubt you'd be honest about it, even though I honestly think that your thoughts about New Again are honest. I just disagree with them. And someone who loves Less Than Jake calling any TBS record as mediocre is quite entertaining.

That's my contribuition for your thread, Joe. Enough drama to raise hell. C'mon and beat my review comments.
Haven't listened to Daisy yet. I want a CD quality version before I give it a go. I do really like the single; production is very raw and intense. I dunno... knowing me, I'll probably dig it, even after all the mixed reactions. I trust other staffers who enjoy it. Yeah, and Jason is reviewing it ... not sure why I seem to be your favorite target reviewer-wise. Oh wait, yes I do.

I review whatever I feel like, and my musical tastes probably reach deeper than yours ever could. Not insulting you... it's just truth. I like nearly every conceivable genre (minus maybe mainstream country or whatever obscure genres exist), and am the only staffer willing to tackle "mainstream" pop records. And for the umpteenth time... I still don't hate this record -- it's just nothing special or exciting.
07:11 AM on 09/08/09
Ghost of Noah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haven't listened to Daisy yet. I want a CD quality version before I give it a go. I do really like the single; production is very raw and intense. I dunno... knowing me, I'll probably dig it, even after all the mixed reactions. I trust other staffers who enjoy it. Yeah, and Jason is reviewing it ... not sure why I seem to be your favorite target reviewer-wise. Oh wait, yes I do.

I review whatever I feel like, and my musical tastes probably reach deeper than yours ever could. Not insulting you... it's just truth. I like nearly every conceivable genre (minus maybe mainstream country or whatever obscure genres exist), and am the only staffer willing to tackle "mainstream" pop records. And for the umpteenth time... I still don't hate this record -- it's just nothing special or exciting.
And when the hell have I said you hate this record? I just think your review is lackuster and kind of misguided. My review is wordy and in depth, but it was an answer to yours. And the way I see it and metacritic tells me, I'm way more in sync with the thoughts of the majority of real music critics about this record than you are.

I think that Scott Heisel's review of it still says it best: "New Again leaps forward as the best album of Taking Back Sunday's career to date." This man knows his stuff. He just recommended me Paper Route's "Absence" as a dark-horse AOTY candidate for him. And he's right. Astonishing record. I strongly recommend it to you. Don't take my musical tastes for granted, Chris. No matter the way you put it, it sounds pretentious and honestly, wrong.

But thank you for doing it, I can finally say to you that Scott is a better reviewer than you, me or anyone on this website will ever be.

About Brand New's latest effort: Daisy isn’t half as good as people pretend or invent. Anyone that knows something about music besides this decade knows that Brand New is more like Brand Old right now. This is Brand New’s impersonation of Nirvana’s In Utero with some Modest Mouse throw in the mix, but different than their previous records – where The Smiths/Morrissey influences work beautifully – it’s their biggest flaw to me: I can’t help but think about Nirvana and Modest Mouse while listening. And how they’ve done before and way better.

People saying that it's better than Thrice’s Beggars or any of Brand New’s previous are crazy to me. I can understand people saying it's better than New Again out of pure rivalry between fanbases, but claiming it's the best record of them yet or better than Beggars is a sign of people going apeshit insane and in denial. With that said and even saying without a doubt that history will tell that New Again is a more solid record than Daisy no matter how many times you spin it, Beggars owns both of them. Easily the best record of the year.

08:00 AM on 09/08/09
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
From the same guy who loves All Time Low and proclaimed them as the kings of pop punk?

It reads like being really really pissed off with a former lover. Did they break your heart or something?

You are right about something though. You are the poster boy of this cynical, jaded, spoiled, fleeting, and heartbroken generation; but that does mean you have lost all ability to recognize worthwhile music when it is created.

But don't take all the ship with you, sir. There's enough people around this scene capable of recognizing when good music it's created. Your rant just sounds as a pissed off letter to a scene this band would be way better off. And thank god for them letting you pissed up to a point you have gone out of your way to write this. It means they've done it right.

And by the way, any song out of this record is better than anything it came out of All Time Low's Nothing Personal and Brand New's Daisy. People complain about AltPress around here, but Scott Heisel is a better reviewer than any of us around here, at least I've never seen him raving about how good Nothing Personal and Daisy are. Deny it all the day long, mate. But your new lovers suck and the band that gave up on you and this scene is rocking harder than ever.

I honestly hope they keep pissing you off through all their carreers. This scene is nothing but a bad joke.

...really?!
08:34 AM on 09/08/09
Ghost of Noah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really. Metacritic agrees with me. But as I've said earlier:

Quote:
I can understand people saying it's better than New Again out of pure rivalry between fanbases, but claiming it's the best record of them yet or better than Beggars is a sign of people going apeshit insane and in denial.
09:11 AM on 09/08/09
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
And when the hell have I said you hate this record? I just think your review is lackuster and kind of misguided. My review is wordy and in depth, but it was an answer to yours. And the way I see it and metacritic tells me, I'm way more in sync with the thoughts of the majority of real music critics about this record than you are.

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes as a "real" music critic?
09:37 AM on 09/08/09
Ghost of Noah
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just out of curiosity, what constitutes as a "real" music critic?

Reliable sources that have been delivering constant reviews about records that are really noteworthy. People that know their shit and go to listen music without bias. Professional reviewers are the ones that listen records without taking on account their fanboyism or their bias against some band.

One example is one person that is constantly picked around here: Scott Heisel. Look to this review from 2003. As far as I'm aware of, Brand New is one of Scott's favorite bands. Just like it's one of mine. That didn't cloud his judgement of TBS's New Again or Brand New's Daisy. He's honest and without bias. There's nothing I can ask more from a reviewer. I don't judge records by what some review says, I judge by my mind and heart. My reasonings and feelings about the records.

But I do owe Scott for recommending me some of the most amazing bands of the decade. And for staying true and even though in a major magazine, continue delivering honest reviews I feel I can trust. I don't know what constitutes a "real" music critic. All I know that there're some reviewer that reach that status, and it isn't only because they're payed to write reviews. I'm a real music listener.

And fuck music teachers that feel the need to force their opinions on other people. You're on no higher position to say what it's good and what isn't than Scott or even me. Go teach a class or something.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests