The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
The Berlin Project - (John Garrighan Guitar/Vocals) [myspace]
1. How did you get your band name?
The Berlin Project was a computer program made to do bad things to the early online services like Prodigy and America Online. However, during our career(1995-2005; 2009-?) we told a lot of lies about the name. Some like, "We started out in Unich, Germany"
2. How did this band get started?
The early incarnations of the band started by playing together in a church youth group. Many of those same members went on to start The Berlin Project (John, Brad, Brian, Joe, Aaron) and record some of our earliest recordings like Culture Clash and the Gin and Juice cover. We were VERY young
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We had member changes since we started so young, so our sound had to adapt with people leaving. Our early unsigned releases were very much ska and punk influenced by bands like Operation Ivy, The Clash, Rancid, Nofx. But as we got older and new people made up the core of the group(Nick Revak, Aaron Mediate, and myself) we started to play more melodic rock. Mind you this was the beginning of the "emo" movement so it was easy to get labeled with that. The bands we were coming up with were bands like Punchline, Midtown, The Juliana Theory, Don't Look Down, Yellowcard, etc. With the addition of file sharing, our early albums certainly made their way around the scene a lot further than I ever expected. Looking back, I think we should have changed our name for The Transition Radio EP since its influences were far more in the realm of The Goo Goo Dolls meets melodic Punk.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I would tour with River City High. After TBP broke up I became an agent for Lucky Artist. I represented River City High, Near Miss, The Secret Handshake, and The Fold. RCH and TBP played shows together when we were both around but never toured together. Would have been trouble.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think we had beautiful melodies. That and we had lots of shenanigans. There was always some drama. Someone quitting mid tour. One time Chuck Rocha our bass player punched Jon Belan our guitar player/singer on stage in the middle of our 2004 winter co-headlining tour with The Matches
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Our mid 90's "Gin and Juice" cover. It would be very easy, but hey it's our most recognizable.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Jon Belan, Steve Sobosalai
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The fact that everything is done via some online service to decide who is popular. You used to see your favorite bands on tour with bands and that's how you were introduced.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Going to Mexico with certain members of a band (I will call the Teel Strain). Doing things we shouldn't at a bordello until 9:30 AM when bus call was at 9am.
Or the time we hit a deer with our van, and another band was following us to where we were sleeping. The deer gets up and runs away. Jon from the Matches gets out of their van and says, "That deer must work out!"
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I think it's amazing. Even when I wasn't doing anything musically I read it every day. Jason and company should be praised.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Not sure. TBP is just starting to do shows again, so let me get back to you on that.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Captiva Island, FL. The Berlin Project and Punchline spent three days there after Warped Tour 2002
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Fly. Using your legs is for suckers.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
There was a time in like '04 when I thought we were on the brink. Our name was everywhere. Lots of love for our album, "The Things We Say". We were doing a lot of tours that people were paying attention to. We did a video that we had high hopes for. BUT... the wheels fell off.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I own a health care recruiting company.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
My daughter's Birthday
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
hmmm....... not spelling.