AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dr. Acula - Below Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 1.75
Musicianship 1.75
Lyrics 0.5
Production 3.5
Creativity 0.5
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 12%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.25
Musicianship 3.75
Lyrics 1.13
Production 3.5
Creativity 1.5
Lasting Value 1.75
Reviewer Tilt 3.25
Average: 26%

Dr. Acula - Below Me

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (08/27/09)
Dr. Acula - Below Me
Record Label: Uprising
Release Date: July 29, 2008

In a world where we're currently going through an economic recession, where rumors of death panels in our government policies are being taken seriously, and where Twilight is the best thing to happen to the literary world since Bronte and Dickens, I thought nothing could infect our country with a worse venom. Then my friends, came Dr. Acula.

I was interested in this band when I found it in the back (rightly so) of my local record store's shelf. I was intrigued by the sticker that said “For Fans of The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Duck Duck Goose, and Vessels Cast From Crippled Hands.” And considering it was only six dollars, I was sold. I anxiously unwrapped that stupid little plastic wrapper packaging from the case's edges, and downloaded it onto my iPod before even listening to the record. It was off my iPod within an hour.

Now I live by the motto, “My first clue should have been the neon and the illegible band name.”

Dr. Acula creates a “unique” sound by meshing (what else) techno, dance, rap, post-hardcore, and deathcore (which does a huge injustice to all those genres listed above) and making it as musically untalented, vocally unappealing, lyrically shitty, and Fruit Loops Fruit Loopy as possible. With seven band members (who surprisingly don't have ridiculous stage-names like Se7en 2.0), you would think the band would have a better chance at producing better lyrics, music, and vocals than other bands of this genre, right? Wrong.

First off, the lyrics possess the humor of a drunken wannabe frat boy trying to get down in “da hood,” with such shining gems as, “I came here to do two things, kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.” Secondly, the musicianship could be better made if the band used retarded koala babies. The slow alternative plucking (which is probably supposed to be tremolo) executed by the guitarists just make me want to hurl (and by this point in the record I'd be puking neon colored Cobra shirts). The drummer is semi-talented, but I've heard the same thing executed (very rarely more horrific) by every other grindcore band. And then there's the bass which is unheard 99 percent of the time.

Finally, the vocalist has mediocre growls, heaping amounts of pig squeals, horrible singing, chicken squawking, and a laughable combination of all the aforementioned. All these factors combined may lead you to believe that this breakdown-after-breakdown album will be forgotten, but I will always (unfortunately) remember the crap that Dr. Acula produced. This album can below us all.

Recommended If You LikeWe Butter the Bread With Butter; I Set My Friends On Fire, but with worse singing and less catchiness; Brokencyde; Millionaires; Hyper Crush; Blood On The Dancefloor

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
05:56 PM on 09/11/09
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
i dont think they're nearly as bad as half those bands you listed, its just grindcore, shits not gonna sound any different from the last band that did it.
08:13 PM on 09/11/09
Mjk07
User Info.
man... no references to Scrubs...

i am disappoint.
11:13 PM on 09/11/09
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
User Info.
Scrubs reference ftw
08:48 AM on 09/12/09
bite2brkskn12
Registered Member
User Info.
terrible review... and The "chew bubble gum and kick ass" part is a sound bit from a cheesy movie called "they live" and thats kind of the point. this album is awesome to just listen to and enjoy. its not supposed to be serious. the first song is a bout beer pong
08:54 AM on 09/12/09
roju
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i came in here looking for a scrubs reference and leave disappointed...
02:06 PM on 09/12/09
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
best band name ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07:59 PM on 09/12/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
I seriously wonder why Tyler Guida from My Bitter End, a band with lots of talent, would associate himself with this garbage.
08:11 PM on 09/17/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
i dont think they're nearly as bad as half those bands you listed, its just scene grind, shits not gonna sound any different from the last band that did it.

Fixed.
01:04 AM on 09/18/09
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
i didnt know that was the 'correct' term :S
11:12 AM on 09/26/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Apparently the name was a joke by Hedberg, but I'd rather assume it's from scrubs.
11:13 AM on 09/26/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
terrible review... and The "chew bubble gum and kick ass" part is a sound bit from a cheesy movie called "they live" and thats kind of the point. this album is awesome to just listen to and enjoy. its not supposed to be serious. the first song is a bout beer pong
I'm not retarded. Jeffree Star's musci is supposed to funny and just an album to listen to, but that doesn't make it good.
08:40 PM on 10/09/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
Some people insist that this band is "hilarious" and "comical".

The only thing hilarious and comical about this band is how incredibly bad they are.
09:09 PM on 10/09/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Some people insist that this band is "hilarious" and "comical".

The only thing hilarious and comical about this band is how incredibly bad they are.
This.
11:56 AM on 10/29/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
I included this band in a shitty bands video I made, lol:

Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives