AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dr. Slaggleberry - The Slagg Factory Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 8.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 82%

Dr. Slaggleberry - The Slagg Factory

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (08/29/09)
Dr. SlaggleberryThe Slagg Factory
Record Label: Crash Records
Release Date: October 12, 2009

Who are they?

Dr. Slaggleberry may sound like they’re from another planet, but they’re really just from England – not that you could tell by the vocals, because there aren’t any. This instrumental, progressive math-rock/metal trio focuses on rhythms because each member initially started off as a drummer. Still, you don’t have to be on your school’s drumline to appreciate The Slagg Factory’s grooves. You just have to not think progressive music is cheesy.

How are they?

These guys are solidly talented, no question. What is in question is whether their twisted style of music will appeal to you. There will be many listeners turned off just by the fact that there’s no vocalist, and it’s true that a frontman would be a nice touch – some Mike Patton type who could keep up with the crazy rhythms. But Dr. Slaggleberry clearly aren’t trying to please everyone, and they sound like they’re doing exactly what they want to be doing.

Any headbanger who digs off-beats and variations from the standard rhythms of heavy metal will have a great time with tracks like “Feed Me A Stray Cat” and “13 Grades of Filth.” Throw in some chaotic Psyopus guitar and you’ve got something pretty evil. Plus the guys manage to calm it down about halfway through the EP with “8 4 5”, a guitar interlude much like the intro to Number 12’s “Jay Walking Backwards”; it really throws a nice wrench into the formula. Fans of instrumental mathrock will go crazy for The Slagg Factory – it’s even better than the group’s self-titled EP.

Tracklist:
01. Feed Me A Stray Cat
02. 13 Grades Of Filth
03. 8 4 5
04. Basterd Brew
05. Gone Devil

Recommended If You Like:
Hella, Lightning Bolt, Psyopus

Check ‘em Out:
www.myspace.com/drslaggleberry

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
10:31 AM on 08/29/09
sonicfury
User Info.
Great review. I have to check out these guys purely for the name. classic. but I reckon I might be in the to music too! thanks
03:07 AM on 08/30/09
analcunt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JeXGw8IhpQ they got a music video. check it out
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music