Password

Album Review

Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground Album Cover

Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground

Reviewed by
Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground
Record Label: Capitol
Release Date: September 8, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from kswizzle. You can see all of kswizzle's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
09:22 AM on 09/12/09
bifforama1
@cahayes2
User Info.
Cove states in the DVD for this album that Incubus is and always has been his favorite band, so that would probably explain the Incubus influences. Not sure what you're problem with "Changing" is. It's still Saosin, just with a different feel. I think you should proud of them for branching out! And the song is called "Deep Down", not "Keep Down". :)
09:48 AM on 09/12/09
cereal4life
User Info.
The second paragraph is massive; I actually find it visually distracting and an impediment from wanting to read it. Good review though, man. Still yet to listen to this; waiting for a let-down myself.
10:50 AM on 09/12/09
kswizzle
Constants Arent So Constant Anymore
User Info.
Cove states in the DVD for this album that Incubus is and always has been his favorite band, so that would probably explain the Incubus influences. Not sure what you're problem with "Changing" is. It's still Saosin, just with a different feel. I think you should proud of them for branching out! And the song is called "Deep Down", not "Keep Down". :)

yeah thanks for correcting the deep down issue. I was trying to download "bury me" while writing this and on the screen above it said "keep down." my bad. I will say changing is slowly growing on me. And I am proud of them branching out and not writing S/T 2. But I feel it was more an exercise in trying to write something specifically different than what they would have wrote if they were just writing (if that makes sense). That's why I feel like "Bury Me" and "You Never Noticed Me" which are both phenomenal songs (among my favorites by the band altogether) were cut. The album is getting better with more listens, but for an audience that will drop an album after just a listen and they don't like it...i feel it's an impediment.
10:52 AM on 09/12/09
kswizzle
Constants Arent So Constant Anymore
User Info.
The second paragraph is massive; I actually find it visually distracting and an impediment from wanting to read it. Good review though, man. Still yet to listen to this; waiting for a let-down myself.

thanks for the advice, i'll keep it in mind though if i ever write a second review. if you are a fan of the band, I'll say give it a listen...put it down. give it another listen the next day...it will not blow you away, but it gets a little better. I guess just be a bit more patient than me, but don't expect the mona lisa.
01:40 PM on 09/12/09
HCO SF 87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, I agree that this album is OK on it's own, but if you take into account Saosin's previous efforts, it just sucks haha. I think "Say Goodbye" is a pretty decent song though.

But yeah I think Bury Me is one of the best songs they've ever written; the main riff in the song is just tooo sick.

I saw an interview with Beau on youtube, and he said their plan is to tour a while on this and then head back into the studio earlier than usual, so there's not such a long cycle between albums this time.
09:38 AM on 09/13/09
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
Cartel's self-titled was far from dismal.
10:09 AM on 09/13/09
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
Cove's vocals on this album seem so forced. He cant sing as high as he was trying to
07:25 AM on 09/14/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Good review, but I'm almost positive this was released on Virgin Records
09:46 PM on 09/14/09
abellaw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would have to agree i think that this album was the weakest saosin release. The whole time i was listening to this album i was thinking about how much more i liked conditions.
07:04 PM on 09/17/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I can't imagine waiting until 2012 (when I graduate college) for a new Saosin album. Good review. I you give the album at higher rating though...maybe an 83%
07:41 PM on 09/17/09
Brett9
a creative username?
User Info.
Really a great review...I enjoyed reading it. I would agree with you on almost all points. I actually was NOT "anticipating" this album - I loved the self-titled, but for some reason wasn't all that excited about this release. When they released the stream on myspace, I broke my rule and checked it out (knowing the sound quality would be what it is). It's funny, because I had pretty much the opposite opinion of most other people. I actually kinda liked what I was hearing. It led me to go out and buy the album, and I still really enjoy it. I completely agree that it's not up to par with their previous stuff, but I just found it fun to listen to (as a whole). I think that the criticism is (mostly) deserved, but I also think that this album is getting trashed way more than it should. Just my opinion...
08:12 PM on 09/17/09
The Gryphonator
User Info.
It's a solid release, but definitely not as badass as their S/T. One thing that Saosin needs top stop doing is releasing so many songs before the album is fully released. When I finally listened to the album, I already heard almost half the album already! They released Secrets, Why Can't You See, Changing, On My Own, The Worst of Me, and Is this Real? before the album even hit stores. And I didn't even illegally download any of the songs, they were offcially released!

Yeah, bad idea. You maybe have gotten a few more bucks from me, but still.

Also, the fireflies closer is not epic in any way.
08:17 PM on 09/17/09
sasalukac
giddy up
User Info.
this album suffers a bit in the continuity department for me. there are some great songs (Deep Down, Say Goodbye, Worst of Me) and some very good ones (Changing, On My Own, It's All Over Now, Is This Real) but it's not as solid throughout as the first effort. as a past diehard fan of Saosin myself, i have to admit that i realized i have outgrown this style in general, and the fact that i still enjoyed this release quite a bit is good enough for me :)
08:20 PM on 09/17/09
RoboZombieKitty
User Info.
Loved the self-titled but for some reason I'm not really feeling this one at all. I'll have to give it a few more spins I suppose. Still a fan of this band and I'm looking fwd to their next cd :P

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos