Password

Album Review

Lost In a Name - Remember Where We Started Album Cover

Lost In a Name - Remember Where We Started

Reviewed by
Lost In a Name - Remember Where We Started
Record Label: None
Release Date: April 2, 2009
Lost In a Name is an indie/powerpop band from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and an exceptionally talented band, to say the least. Their debut album, Remember Where We Started is a showcase of the band's knack for writing interesting and catchy pop songs. The melodies are soft and smooth, and lead vocalist Danny Schmitz's voice is complimented beautifully by his guitar playing.

The album begins with "Crutch," with a crunchy intro riff that sounds as if it would fit at the beginning of an old Stone Temple Pilots tune. But as soon as the chorus comes, Schmitz's smooth voice takes over with a melody that fits in perfect with the song. Another song with a great melody is "Valentine." Despite the cringe-worthy opening line of "Roses are red / And violets are blue / I already hate it / Do you hate it too?" the song includes one of the prettiest melodies of the entire album and is one of the catchiest songs I've heard in a while.

Aside from the vocal melodies, Lost In a Name are also extremely talented musicians. The harmonizing guitars in "Remember" are definitely one of the high points of the album, the acoustic opening of "Biggest Fan" is stunning, and the guitar solo on the album closer, "Wishing For a Memory" displays Schmitz's impressive skill on lead guitar. But the guitars don't dominate the whole album. The band's rhythm section is pretty solid as well. They don't try anything particularly groundbreaking, but bassist Bryce Schmidtke and drummer Steve Lee do a great job at keeping the beat to set up the lead vocals and guitar.

Simply put, this album is worth it. If you're a fan of powerpop, then chances are you will enjoy this album. Lost In a Name truly have a gift for songwriting and playing music in general, and they definitely deserve a listen.

Recommended If You Likepop between rock and a hard place

myspace.com/lostinaname
This review is a user submitted review from flks511. You can see all of flks511's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
02:03 PM on 09/24/09
Lost In A Name
Lost In A Name
User Info.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the great review, we really appreciate it!

-Danny & Lost In A Name
03:07 AM on 09/26/09
Lost In A Name
Lost In A Name
User Info.
Do you have any advice as to what we could improve on instead of just saying we're boring and that we suck ass?
06:13 PM on 09/27/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
Do you have any advice as to what we could improve on instead of just saying we're boring and that we suck ass?
Lol? I thought I gave a pretty positive review haha.
09:55 PM on 09/27/09
Lost In A Name
Lost In A Name
User Info.
haha no not you, sorry abou that. I don't know why it isn't there anymore, but someone put a comment up saying how much we sucked ass and are boring and mediocore, but it must have gotten deleted or something, and now I don't know how to delete my comment...So of course we look like the douche bags now... haha - Seriously though we really loved the review and really appreciate it man. Thanks again! I do have a question though : If you were to compare us to a couple of bands, who would they be?

-Danny
10:18 PM on 09/27/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
haha no not you, sorry abou that. I don't know why it isn't there anymore, but someone put a comment up saying how much we sucked ass and are boring and mediocore, but it must have gotten deleted or something, and now I don't know how to delete my comment...So of course we look like the douche bags now... haha - Seriously though we really loved the review and really appreciate it man. Thanks again! I do have a question though : If you were to compare us to a couple of bands, who would they be?

-Danny
For some reason I always thought you guys sound a lot like the Goo Goo Dolls. There are some big differences (mainly the differences in your voices, and lyrical subject matter), that's the impression I got when I put in your CD.

Also, when you're replying to a message, you should quote it, that way it won't disappear on you like the last one did.
11:20 PM on 09/27/09
Lost In A Name
Lost In A Name
User Info.
For some reason I always thought you guys sound a lot like the Goo Goo Dolls. There are some big differences (mainly the differences in your voices, and lyrical subject matter), that's the impression I got when I put in your CD.

Also, when you're replying to a message, you should quote it, that way it won't disappear on you like the last one did.
Oh ok, like this? (: That's funny you say the Goo Goo Dolls. They are one of my biggest influences as a song writer. Although I think its safe to say we're a bit heavier then most of their music, its cool that you can hear the similarities. Thanks again for the review!

-Danny

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version