1. How did you get your band name?
I actually just joined the band a little over a year ago and they had been going by THE DARLINGS since the beginning of 2005. To my knowledge, they wanted to pick the most feminine name that was still classy and sounded good. It looked good on paper, so THE DARLINGS stuck.
2. How did this band get started?
The band started in 2005 when Josh (Kearney) met Buddy. They ran into each other skateboarding and began talking music. After hanging out for a bit they realized they were both guitar players and were influenced by some of the same bands. It kind of just went from there. They started a band to have fun and play music.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
I am personally influenced by so much different music. I have so much stuff on my iPod that I listen to and I try and take something from everything. I'll be influenced by everything from Rancid and Dropkick Murphy's, to Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash, to the Beatles and the Stones. If it moves me in some way and sounds good...it's an influence.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Presently, I would love to tour with Green Day or Rancid. I have always been a huge Rancid fan...and Green Day is like one of the biggest bands in the world. Both of those bands have just been doing it forever now, and it would be amazing to see them play every night and make friends with them. Past, I think it would be amazing to tour with The Rolling Stones, or The Clash, or Elvis or something. Someone legendary, you know? To tour with someone of that level would just leave me in awe. To know that these bands are part of rock n roll history, and you would be playing with them every night...that would be cool.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'm not totally sure what a furry is. But if I had to be any kind of animal...I would probably be a lion. King of the jungle!! HAHAHA....I have no idea.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think people should listen to our band because we have a lot to offer. I think there has been a shortage of really good rock n roll/punk rock bands popping up lately, so we're there. We have a lot of fun doing what we do, and I think it comes across in our live show and in our music. We're a fun band with good rock n roll songs. We've all been playing music for years, so just throw our CD in and give it a chance.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
If I was in charge of picking the song, I would pick one of our newer songs that we've been pushing, called "Where Do We Go". I don't play guitar so I'm not sure how hard it would be to get five stars on the expert level...but if they were drumming to it, it would most definitely give a good workout.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My parents, my family, my band, God, and anyone and everyone that has ever supported my band in any way, shape, or form.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would have better prepared them for the internet music revolution. The music industry changed so much once people realized they could share and distribute music thru the internet. I don't think the industry was truly ready for that.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We did a six day tour with Pennywise and had to drive thru the mountains. It was the first time I saw snow. Kinda sappy and boring...but it was memorable to me.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? Absolutepunk.net is everything music. I remember going to AP.net way back when to find out what was happening with my favorite punk rock band. To read new articles/interviews, or even just to find out what the latest news was surrounding the music scene. AP.net is an amazing website connecting people to their favorite bands, groups, and music.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play right now is a new song we have called "American Dream". It should be on our new record due out later this year, or early next year.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I always enjoy going to Vegas. There is just so much to do, so whatever mood you're in...you can pretty much find something to match that mood.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Everything my dad listened to while driving us around. The classics...the Stones, Led Zepplin, the Beatles, the Who...all stuff I disliked when I was young, and as I get older the more and more I would find myself asking to borrow CD's from my dad.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would like to be able to travel thru time. I'm not sure if that classifies as a super power...but to see parts of the future, or to go back into the past and change something to see the outcome would be pretty amazing.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I'm not sure what it means to "make it" nowadays. In my opinion, I don't think we have "made it". We have so much room to grow and so much more to accomplish. We have been very fortunate to get to where we are right now...but I think we have much more to do so as to "make it" in the music world. We're gonna be around for a long time...
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm not a big party/drinking guy. I think a lot of people associate partying and drinking with the rock n roll thing. I don't do much of either. As boring as it is, I'm usually the guy who comes home after a show, showers, and goes to bed. Lot of fun...I know!!!
18. What's your favorite holiday?
As cliche as it is...I really enjoy Christmas. I feel like everyone has that holiday cheer about them around Christmas. I enjoy getting nice things for people, and everyone seems to be a little less selfish around that time.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Relax. Honest to God, just relax.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I am a magician. I do a lot of close up magic with playing cards. Not a lot of people know that or expect it...but it's a hidden talent that goes off at bars when we're out.