AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Ready Set, The - 09.06.09

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (09/06/09)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Ready Set - Jordan Witzigreuter [myspace][ap.net profile]

1. How did you get your band name?
It means looking past everything you're worried about and doing what you want to do regardless of the consequences. Being ready to live your life, more or less.. ready, set, go do something. ha

2. How did this band get started?
I had been in different bands writing songs with people forever, but around the time I had no one to write with, so I utilized the mac/keyboard combo and wrote songs with what I had.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
My biggest influence is Copeland, but I'm influenced by a lot of bands.. Kenna, Daft Punk, a lot of hip hop and pop stuff too. Anything that goes into my head.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
By default, the Beatles because it would be the raddest thing ever and it would be sweet to play to some full stadiums. Realistically though, whoever wants to take me out on tour. As long as people are at the shows having fun, it's all good.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A narwhal or some other deep sea creature, in which case I wouldn't really be furry, thus letting me live my own life in the ocean, apart from the other furries. They might freak me out kind of.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because I feel like I'm doing something that's easily pigeon-holed and I'd like for people to look past that and take it for what it is. I write pop music, but I like to think it's different than what other pop bands are doing. I like having fun with music I think there should be more of that.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"Stays Four The Same". I'd think it'd be pretty easy. I'd want the drums to be a challenge though. If you're going to play my song on guitar hero or rock band, you've gotta do it big. No novices.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everybody who ever listened to my music, and my family.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'm not sure really. It is what it is. Every industry has its high points and low points, but I think if I had to change anything I would make it so bands didn't have careers handed to them. Everyone should have to earn it.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Meeting Sammy Stephens at flea market montgomery. Explanation: youtube "flea market montgomery". Shows are all awesome, but that was a grand moment. haha

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It keeps everyone in the loop with what's going on in the music scene, pretty much. I've been visiting the site for a few years now, so I'm pretty stoked to have interviews/reviews/negative comments/whatever about myself on it. Reading the comments is always a good time!:D

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Stays Four The Same". It's new and more in the direction I'm taking my music.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Maybe somewhere with a beach, but I really like any city.. New York, Chicago, LA, Seattle. Being on tour is kind of like a half-vacation-half-work hybrid thing, so any off time I spend at home in Indiana, which isn't much of a vacation at all.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
This question is best answered in the form of a time-line.
ages under 10: 90's radio music
10-12: green day, blink 182
12-15: rise against, alkaline trio, thursday, taking back sunday, against me, and a thousand others
I guess I listened to really specific things at certain points growing up.. I've kind of gone through everything haha. I still love all the stuff I grew up listening to though for sure.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying. It is an undeniable fact that having the ability to fly on command with no mechanical aid would be awesome. Think about it. Actually, flying really fast is my answer. That's even better.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No, there are so many things I want to do; I've only been touring as TRS for a little over a year. I don't think there will ever be a definitive point where I'll think I've "made it" because you can always take things one step further and do things bigger than before.. as long as I'm constantly progressing I'll be happy.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I don't really listen to much electro-pop stuff. I also used to play in hardcore bands. Oh, and I was in a ska band, too.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas and Halloween. I love the weather around both times.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
When I'm on tour, I spend most of the driving time on the computer, doing myspace stuff and all that, trying to keep up everyone. When I'm at home, pretty much all my time is spent with my girlfriend, writing, or doing absolutely nothing. It's nice.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can find my way around photoshop. I was into graphic design and stuff for a while. I'm trying to get back into designing most of my merch and stuff again, so I guess we'll see if it's really a "talent" or not in a few months!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
11:52 AM on 09/07/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Wow. He seems really down to earth. Loved this interview.
04:14 PM on 09/08/09
Mochem
User Info.
Hell yeah, Take Sides and Saints Never Surrender. Not that I think The Ready Set sucks or anything, I just like the older bands more. And there aren't too many local Fort Wayne bands around that I like anymore.
04:17 PM on 09/08/09
S4TLTian
User Info.
he's just a straight up nice dude. and his music really is fun. AND he puts on a hell of a show.
04:18 PM on 09/08/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Dude totally was not expecting this from him..great interview.
I had no idea he used to be in hardcore and ska bands haha. That's awesome.
04:21 PM on 09/08/09
katieissweet
@katelyndonahue
User Info.
Nice dude. But his fucking lights make me feel like I'm going to have a seizure.
04:39 PM on 09/08/09
ohsnapyeah
User Info.
" I would make it so bands didn't have careers handed to them. Everyone should have to earn it." Your mom is a ceo of some fucking company and wrote you a check to go record your record with 2 big producers. How is that earning it at all?
04:51 PM on 09/08/09
HMNIJared
Remember Winipeg
User Info.
Nice dude. But his fucking lights make me feel like I'm going to have a seizure.
i second that.
his Sweetest Girl cover is so dope live.
05:46 PM on 09/08/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I love him
06:08 PM on 09/08/09
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
Hell yeah, Take Sides and Saints Never Surrender. Not that I think The Ready Set sucks or anything, I just like the older bands more. And there aren't too many local Fort Wayne bands around that I like anymore.
well, those two.. but, at one point take sides was both ska and hardcore.
06:29 PM on 09/08/09
SuchAPerson22
bert macklin, FBI
User Info.
I really like this guy/band, and this interview. His music is fun stuff. :)
HOWEVER- That does not change the fact that I am still wondering as to WHY IN THE HELL he is going on tour with Brokencyde.
But anyway...
06:36 PM on 09/08/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Clearly he'll go on whatever tour that will take him, he's heading out with brokenCYDE. Which really, no matter how cool he may seem here there's no excuse for doing that. It just makes me lose respect.
07:03 PM on 09/08/09
Mochem
User Info.
well, those two.. but, at one point take sides was both ska and hardcore.
I have the Last Transmission cd, if that's what you mean by both ska and hardcore. It's not too "hardcore" though.
07:07 PM on 09/08/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Clearly he'll go on whatever tour that will take him, he's heading out with brokenCYDE. Which really, no matter how cool he may seem here there's no excuse for doing that. It just makes me lose respect.
It annoys me when people only call out one act for touring with crappy acts. Red Car Wire has toured with both Brokencyde and Jeffree Star, yet alot of people respect them. Artist Vs Poet is opening for Jeffree Star, and nobody is criticizing them either.
EDIT: I'm not calling you out in particular, its just that you're one of the few people on this site who will listen to a decent argument.
07:08 PM on 09/08/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
I really like this guy/band, and this interview. His music is fun stuff. :)
HOWEVER- That does not change the fact that I am still wondering as to WHY IN THE HELL he is going on tour with Brokencyde.
But anyway...
they have a shared audience. Even though The Ready Set is MILES ahead of brokencyde, from a marketing perspective, they are a perfect match.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests