Password

Album Review

Late Design, A - Devil in My Radio EP Album Cover

Late Design, A - Devil in My Radio EP

Reviewed by
A Late Design - Devil In My Radio EP
Release Date: April 17, 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

New York City and its surrounding areas have always been rich in musical talent, fostering an underground scene of numerous genres for many years. A Late Design formed in 2005 and have already developed a solid following. They released a self-titled EP last year, and in April of 2006 release their second EP, titled Devil In My Radio. Anthony Raneri of Bayside, who is a good friend of the band, produced both releases.

The Devil In My Radio EP kicks off with “The Ties that Bind,” a song that frankly features a lot of noise and less substance than it should. The vocals are a secondary thought in the minute and fifty-eight seconds of this track. “A Dirty Mind” is an Alkaline Trio-esque kick in the ass for the EP. The instrumentation on this one is solid, albeit a bit predictable, but the fusion of instruments, lead, and backing vocals allows it to stand tall among the other songs. From here onward to the end, this is a solid disc.

“Devil In My Radio” is the title track and my second favorite for its intensity and passive-aggressive attitude. With a driving dual-guitar attack, the band’s true post-hardcore potential shines through. Combining wailing vocals, shouting, and the collective instrumental crunch of guitarists Andrew Monastero and Sean Walsh, bassist Josh Dasch, and drummer John Badamo, "Devil in My Radio" pummels its way from beginning to end. Finishing this 4-song offering is “Shadow of a Ghost,” in which Mike Groth at times comes off as a passable Matt Skiba. It is loud, antagonistic, yet searingly melodic. This song will appear to the fans of their heavier sound as well as those who enjoy the lighter, poppier side to A Late Design. This song also appeared on their last EP.

Coming together as an organized unit, the Devil In My Radio EP is a step forward for the band. Because of the type of music A Late Design plays, critics will often compare them to Alkaline Trio and Bayside. If you enjoy either of those bands, this EP is definitely worth checking out. The only major problem is sometimes the instruments drown out the vocals, which hurts the overall vibe. A Late Design has obvious potential, but in order to fully capitalize on that, they need to take a step away from their contemporaries and really make their mark on the post-hardcore scene. This EP will appeal to those who enjoy a raw element to their music, and will definitely grow on you.

Track List01. The Ties That Bind
02. A Dirty Mind
03. Devil In My Radio
04. Shadow of a Ghost
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
10:51 PM on 04/22/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Darren McLeod
Very nice guys, and they keep improving.
And of course they've only been a band since the beginning of last year. So that's extremely promising.
04:16 AM on 04/23/06
biffyboy
User Info.
yes I've heard some of their songs off purevolume/myspace and they sound really promising, very baysidelike for me which is definatly a good thing.
02:01 AM on 04/24/06
Cornerboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good tunes, good guys. I chilled with them for a bit about 2 months ago when my band played a show with them. They are good friends with The Sleeping and Bayside.
12:52 PM on 05/19/06
italianmike3c
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Andrew is the cockiest mother fucker i've ever met- he beats retards too

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT