AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

A Static Lullaby - 04.23.06

Interviewed by
A Static Lullaby - 04.23.06First off let's get this question out of the way: On your last tour there were rumors going around saying that you announced on stage that ASL was breaking up. It turned out that Phil/Brett/Nate departed from the group and you and Joe were going to keep the band alive. Was the initial plan to break up? If so, what made you two think again and keep on going?

Yes, we did announce that the band was over at a show in Canada, but on the drive home Joe and I began texting each other talking about keeping it going. There were so many reasons to not destroy everything this band had worked for. When we got home we kind of sat around for a bit just taking a step back and really thinking about who to get to replace the other guys, and after a month or so we decided that going w/ guys that have minimal touring experience, fresh ears, and open minds were the way to go. So here we are.

So the new members are in. What made you guy's want to keep the A Static Lullaby name even though more than half of the original line up departed?

Well, this band was an idea created by Joe. He knew what he wanted and came to Brett and I with it, and we wrote a song. I guess it was the "test" song, it kind of put the idea into perspective. Brett started to play a riff and then i took that riff and built off of it, joe threw down some words and they were incredible. That song was "Love to Hate, Hate to Me". After that this band became, pretty much, our reason to live.

I understand that the band has been jamming a lot as of late. How have the new members been molding into the group and do you feel the new material is coming out a lot harder and stronger then before?

I honestly really do. It's hard to try and replace a guy as talented as Nate or a guy as idealistic as Phil, but John and Dane really add a whole new element to this music. Were always around each other, always writing, talking, and just hanging out. It's a huge step forward for A Static Lullaby.

Does the new material mesh both ...And Don't Forget and Faso Latido together or is it a whole new direction for ASL?

Umm..I want to say no, just for the fact that Faso Latido was more of our "pop/rock" side. The new stuff has more of a metal influence, more like A.D.F.T.B. but there is something fresh and new about it.

Before the member switch up, you guy's planned to hit the studio with producer Steve Evetts. Is this still the plan or are there other options that you're all looking into now?

Not enough info to answer this question.

Are you at all worried with what the fans will think of the new material? I ask this because I'm sure at some point the comments made in response to Faso Latido got to you.

Not at all, I believe the fans will be pleasantly suprised on the direction we're heading. We've just put a new track up on MySpace and the response has been amazing. A lot of fans who we had lost are coming back to check out what the hell is going on w/ us.

In my opinion Faso Latidio was a solid album, but why do you guy's think the fans really couldn't get into it?

Well one thing about that album is the recording, it was a lot more "polished" sounding than the first, which took away from a lot of the aggresion. That aside, I love that album very much.

Faso Latido was released through Columbia. Will this next album be put out by them as well or no?
No.

Does the band plan to hit the road before it's time to record? If so, are any initial plans in the works?

Were gonna try and do some local shows around CA and just get back in the game. As far as full-on touring no plans at the moment, we really just want to focus on the album.

Now I know You have a "for fun" little project called The Tallboy's. Do any of the other members have solo projects/bands?

Haha! Not at the moment, but i'm sure there are some in the works..

Alright that about does it. If there is anything you would like to clear up or get out there feel free to do so.

Umm...Just want to thank all the amazing people/fans who stuck w/ us through all the bullshit. thanks guys.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:14 AM on 04/23/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Nice interview. I like Faso Latido... "Modern Day Fire" is sweeet
11:30 AM on 04/23/06
ryheeles
I Am Groot
User Info.
sweet interview.

i think the new cd's gonna be a lot better (or maybe just more aggressive) than faso latido
11:33 AM on 04/23/06
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
Originally Posted by Rohan Kohli
I like Faso Latido

Me too. I listen to it more than their debut.

-ACA
11:46 AM on 04/23/06
knibl
riff breakdown solo
User Info.
"The new stuff has more of a metal influence, more like A.D.F.T.B. but there is something fresh and new about it. "

wow i think i just shat my pants. haha
good short interview. i never ditched ASL after faso latido. i stuck with them, and now im excited as hell for their new album. they're a great band

i think im gonna miss phil's vocals on the new record tho =S
12:06 PM on 04/23/06
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
Originally Posted by knibl
"The new stuff has more of a metal influence, more like A.D.F.T.B. but there is something fresh and new about it. "

wow i think i just shat my pants. haha
good short interview. i never ditched ASL after faso latido. i stuck with them, and now im excited as hell for their new album. they're a great band

i think im gonna miss phil's vocals on the new record tho =S

Well all you need to do if you miss Phil's vocals is go check out the awesome Casket Salesmen and you'll be fufilled. I still have no idea why no one likes Casket... Anyone have a legit reason besides "uhh, its weird" or "because they suck"?
08:19 PM on 04/23/06
Bury Your Head
it aint easy being brown
User Info.
so are they labeless?
08:52 PM on 04/23/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I can't wait.
09:00 AM on 04/24/06
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
good, i want to hear this cd, i like both albums, but faso latido was a little surprise to me, and i listen to that sometimes, it's good to hear it from time to time, especially first half of the cd, but ADFTB was a lot better, and that's classic in my life haha
10:34 AM on 04/24/06
VitalJ
I love pop punk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if they go back to the old roots, they will be back in know time
01:17 PM on 04/24/06
lividman5k
User Info.
Originally Posted by knibl

Just what everyone wanted to hear ;)
08:09 PM on 04/24/06
screamoutmyname
through being cool
User Info.
Dan and Joe are A Static Lullaby...
02:38 PM on 04/25/06
Bury Your Head
it aint easy being brown
User Info.
Originally Posted by screamoutmyname
Dan and Joe are A Static Lullaby...
word
if they werent the two left in the band i wouldnt even pay enough attention to listen to the two new demos they posted
02:07 PM on 05/11/06
stilettolove
electric ink on a feather
User Info.
i am extremely excited for the new cd.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT