AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Vaona - 01.07.09

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (09/10/09)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Vaona - (Greg)
[ap.net profile] [myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
Funny story actually. Our singer, Mike, was using the bathroom and saw my Aveeno soap bottle. Somehow he mixed around the letters, added a few, and he made Vaona out of it!

2. How did this band get started?
Mike and I (Greg), started playing together in September of 2007. We eventually finally got a lineup in January of 2008 and started writing more songs. We did not become a serious band until May of 2008, and we just got our official line up this October.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
A lot to be honest, but the ones that come to mind are-Saosin, Circa Survive, Minus The Bear, Valencia.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

We'd love to tour with any of the bands that influenced us, especially Saosin. I would love to tour with our home state band The Years Gone By or our friends in The Scenic and Settings (fingers crossed!!)

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Probably a baby bear, cause girls love them and they are adorable! Haha!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

So many times do I read in articles of bands saying that they sound different. To be honest, that is the reason I find people should listen to us. We can mix all out pop with a rougher edge, and our constant lead guitar taps are what definitely set us apart. We aren't just a band that is looking to be the flavor of the month; we want to stay around as long as possible and tour our butts for as long as we can! We realize where we want to be is in no way easy, but if people can at least be willing to give our band a listen, that's the first step!

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would want our song "Mixed Signals" on the game. As an expert that song would be almost impossible, considering a lot of the leads are finger taps and pretty fast haha.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would thank God for everything he's done for me, and everyone that has inspired me and helped me in any way. I think they would take me off stage because I would be thanking too many people.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

There's so many things I want to see changed; obviously CD sales and the way of selling them needs to be changed! But, not many bands have said this one; I want to see the music industry's attitude towards unsigned bands changed. You have to think of it this way, the biggest bands that we know now were once unsigned! Sometimes it's the unsigned bands that are working the hardest, from ticket sales to gaining respect. Promoters sometimes are the biggest problems, they feel that if a band is unsigned that they do not deserve any respect, and I find unsigned bands get easily pushed around by promoters when there isn't a management or label backing it.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We actually have toured yet, but we are booking something for April.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is basically the site I visit when I first get on the computer, because I am a complete lover of music. I need to know exactly what is going on with bands, and I also love to read the funny comments that kids sometimes leave on the bands they hate. AP.net really helps develop bands and I would have to say that a bunch of bands really need to thank the site for their success.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play is "Mixed Signals". There's so much energy in it, and it's usually the first song of our set so it's a great way to start off.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere warm, a place so I can get away from New Jersey's winters!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Anything from Billy Ray Cirus to the Backstreet Boys. Haha, I listened to that stuff all the time!!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd have to say fly, because they I would never have to worry about gas money ever again.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not at all! We haven't even toured yet or gotten on a label! Even when that happens, that's not even close. I'm not quite sure what having made it exactly is, but we have not even been close to that yet.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm actually the shyest person at shows, and generally let the rest of the band do the talking.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Christmas!!!!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love to hang out with my friends, try to stay healthy, and I am constantly playing my bass.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can't really think of any now, my only talent is really playing music haha.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
11:17 PM on 09/10/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
It's sucks that a lot of these bands have broken up between the time of the interview and now. Maybe pop punk and post-hardcore are dying genres, and only those that make it big can survive.
09:37 AM on 09/11/09
adamtellall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Notice i was in this band, as the lead guitar player, i wrote everything, to do guitar wise, and its so weird how this band hasnt been around for about a year, and in that time me and the drummers new band TELL ALL have signed to Uprising Records and have Recorded with John Naclerio (My Chemical Romance, Brand New, Just Surrender)... Thats soooooooooooooo weird....lol

Any who, check out tell all,
www.myspace.com/tellallmusic

we are endorsed and supported by RockStar Energy Drink, Kill Brand Clothing, and Hagstrom Guitars!

heres a list of our upcoming shows, we are currently in the process of writing for our 1st LP and playing some random shows here and there, then full US tour after

9/21 - First Unitarian Church w/Craig Owens, The Scenic, Automatic Loveletter - Philly, PA
9/26 - The Fuel House - Vineland NJ
9/27 - Arlene's Grocery - w/ Nightmares for a Week - NYC
10/02- A.D. - Cape May, NJ
10/22 - Hanger 84 -w/ Farewell, The Years Gone By - Vineland NJ
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music