AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Riverboat Gamblers - To the Confusion of Our Enemies Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Riverboat Gamblers - To the Confusion of Our Enemies

Reviewed by: Garett Press (04/27/06)
Riverboat Gamblers - To the Confusion of Our Enemies
Volcom Entertainment
Release Date: 4.25.06

When you’ve got a great rock record on your hands, especially with all the fire and fury inherent in the punk denomination, miraculous things can happen… time can change. Take the seven seconds of silence between tracks for instance, they transform into a seemingly everlasting bummer… a borderline torturous respite. Don’t let it stop!!! I’m almost compelled to holler such things in the down-time between songs as I headbang to the Riverboat Gamblers’ new record: To the Confusion of Our Enemies. A serious rock-out thrill, the Gamblers have scrupulously adhered to the formula of take your breath away fanfare and ended up with what I would describe as a damn good time of a record. The man dubbed by the band as Rookie Sensation Mike Wiebe vocally commands this power ensemble like an army general. For those who find the voices of Against Me! or Strike Anywhere rebarbative, Wiebe’s style should come as a relief. He’s easy on the ears, yet flaunts enough rugged edge to permit comparison to the bands mentioned in the sentence prior. The various hues of aggressive rock that color each song reveal that the Gamblers seem to have constant ambitions of gang-style sing-alongs, occasional epiphanies of arena-rock (end of “The Gamblers Try Their Hand…), and an inkling to rock old-school style (bridges in “The Curse of the Ivory Coast" and "Year of the Rooster"). The production is contained to an extent, but fitting for a straight-forward sound that flirts with the demons of punk rock. Truthfully I have few, if any complaints worth voicing. With a sound that would have fit perfectly between Against Me! and Alkaline Trio on their recent stint, Riverboat Gamblers are an energetic joy ride, and I would imagine, and have read, that the live component is where the magic really lies. Fun, humorous, a serious rush, a kick in the nads, surprisingly accessible - most everything I like in a punk influenced rock record; To the Confusion of Our Enemies is 101% the essence of solidity. While this record might be “to the confusion” of the Gamblers’ enemies, it will more so be to the satisfaction of their fans.

P.S. “Unicorn Shave Your Horn”, an interlude from the soul, is unquestionably my song of the year (you have to hear it to understand; hysterical).

Score: {8.2/10}

Tracklist - ListenClick Here to Listen

1. True Crime
2. I'm Still Not Dead
3. Biz Loves Sluts
4. The Song We Used to Call "Wasting Time"
5. On Again Off Again
6. The Gamblers Trying Their Hand at International Diplomacy
7. Walk Around Me
8. Unicorn Shave Your Horn
9. The Art of Getting %$#@'ed
10. Year of the Rooster
11. The Curse of the Ivory Coast
12. Rent is Due
13. Uh Oh!
14. Black Nothing of a Cat

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
12:45 PM on 04/27/06
kirbs84
True Punk Fan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review
01:15 PM on 04/27/06
purma pack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed.
03:25 PM on 04/27/06
murphy77
User Info.
this album is different than the other stuff but its really really good. cant wait to see them at warped tour

when the album stream was on aol-music, it said it was emo-punk and that pissed me off. this band is all rock n roll
03:36 PM on 04/27/06
JoeShow
It's time for drastic measures
User Info.
good review.

unicorn shave your horn is good stuff, its gives you time to catch your breath then the opening riff of the art of getting fucked, pulls you right back in
04:27 PM on 04/27/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They do sound very rock-and-roll, it's almost like I don't even want to listen to them to it because their music is so...normal.
06:17 PM on 04/27/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by LilRyan732
They do sound very rock-and-roll, it's almost like I don't even want to listen to them to it because their music is so...normal.
A little straight up rock is good for you every now and then!
08:14 PM on 04/27/06
ishotthepilot
black&blue or gold?
User Info.
definitely going to have to catch these guys this summer, i don't know about claims of arena rock but its certainly enjoyable. its funny that you would pit the vocalist against strike anywhere's and against me!'s, i would put them in the same category and yeah, on a tour together. maybe some rise against? haha anyway. i like it :)
it's almost like The AKA's if they were less angry/dissatisfied with the world and less dancy.
07:51 AM on 04/28/06
MattyBeatz
is Dayman, fighter of the Nightman
User Info.
I've seen them live numerous times. It's a "can't miss" event. Cheapasses should spend their hard earned dollars and see them.

They had to once raise money to replace the bass player's teeth because he got them knocked out during a show. It's that intense!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums