AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Royden - Best Friends Our Worst Enemies Album Cover

Royden - Best Friends Our Worst Enemies

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
ROYDEN - Best Friends Our Worst Enemies

Royden doesn’t want to be another typical, generic band in today’s watered down scene. After listening to their Hopeless Records-reissued EP, Best Friends Our Worst Enemies, they appear to be heading in the right direction. Combining elements of punk, hardcore, and prog, this EP offers us five diverse songs that are full of aggression and melody.

Best Friends begins with “Ghosthouse 1922,” a mid-paced song that reminds me of At The Drive-In a bit. The guitars beam with melody and the rhythm between bassist Kerry and Nick’s drums stand out. The hardest track on the album is “Made In Lies,” and the vocals of Treebo really shine here. This song also features a nice breakdown and is my personal favorite on the EP. The lyrics and overall theme of the songs are quite bizarre, with songs about a corpse dancing in a hospital, a robot attack, and a little kid hiding in his closet from a robot who killed his parents. Weird stuff. Anyways, the next track, “Carabella,” begins with a gentle guitar riff and a steady beat on the drums with Treebo’s voice softly hovering over the instruments. This lasts for about a minute and half and then the track kicks into high gear with guitars and drums colliding into a controlled chaos. The final track is “Dolittle Raids,” which begins with an urgent riff and backed by a lively bass. This track balances between the soft and the loud very nicely, and is a fine closer.

Best Friends Our Worst Enemies is just the appetizer from Royden, as they plan to release their debut full-length album, In The House Of Attics, this June. This EP though shows a lot of promise and has gotten my interest. If you enjoy the musical styling of Taking Back Sunday, Coheed & Cambria, At The Drive-In, and Hidden In Plain View, then you will enjoy this EP and this band immensely. Check out Best Friends Our Worst Enemies soon and then get amped for Royden’s debut album this summer.
Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. Ghosthouse 1922
2. Murder Of An Albatross
3. Made In Lies
4. Carabella
5. Dolittle Raids
Produced by: Bob Freeman and Royden

Royden are:
Treebo - vocals
Kerry - bass
Nick - drums
Tim - guitar
Justin - guitar

Release Date: April 11, 2006
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Official Website; Official Myspace; AP Artist Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:36 AM on 04/28/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I think I have heard the song "Carabella" before..
02:05 PM on 04/28/06
llwin
Soundtrack To A Headrush
User Info.
I love this band. and i love this ep. even who already have it should chek out this new remastered version of the ep, the songs sounds so much better here. i can't wait for the album. i hope they won't disappoint. they're talented guys.
04:17 PM on 04/28/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I really like your style of writing, so that's why I came back just to compliment you.

Also you've been doing a lot of reviews lately and I know that can be tiresome, so I'm here to applaud you on that.

Keep up the good work. :)
04:32 PM on 04/28/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hear a lot of Coheed and The Used with this band....maybe some Anatomy of a Ghost.

Good stuff though.
11:52 PM on 04/28/06
FUNLIKEAGUN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the full length is so much different...it is being pushed back to Jan07
09:09 AM on 04/29/06
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
User Info.
This is probably my favorite cover art I have seen.. aside for Undeoath's.
06:37 PM on 05/17/06
Versus The Shed
Support Massacre ShallNot
User Info.
This band Is amazing, i have the ep of them on Genco and now hopeless is such a better sound...some songs remond me of From FIrst to Lasts with a little Armor For Sleep.. you got to check them out ... amzing band

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos