AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
 
Album Review
 
Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah EP Album Cover

Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah EP

Reviewed by
4.3
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
PLAIN WHITE T'S - Hey There Delilah EP

The Plain White T’s are quickly becoming one of the more popular bands in the pop-rock genre. With their last album, All That We Needed, quickly gaining the interest of many teenagers, the Plain White T’s are on their way to being the “next big thing.” So, to satisfy hungry fans before their next full-length album, the Chicago quintet will be releasing a new EP, titled Hey There Delilah, named after one of their more popular songs from the last album. Produced by Sean O’Keefe (Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack), Delilah features a new version and a live version of “Hey There Delilah, and 4 new songs waiting to capture the ears of pop fans everywhere.

The EP opens with a new version of “Hey There Delilah,” which has an addition of strings that fit nicely in the track, and is definitely the highlight of the entire EP. The next song is the foot-stomping “Easy Way Out,” which features driving guitars and a few handclaps. “Down The Road” is a peppy song which features some fine drumming and also has the best chorus out of all the new tracks on the EP, while “Losing Myself” is a mid-paced track that grooves smoothly from verse to verse. “If I Told You” has a redundant chorus that is redeemed by catchy verses, which slightly reminds me of pop music from the late 60’s and early 70’s. The EP closes with a live recording of “Hey There Delilah,” which is all fine and dandy until the throngs of teenage girls take over the song with their shouting of the chorus. This ruins the final song for me and quickly becomes obnoxious after one listen to it. I'd rather hear the band instead of the crowd, and this closing live track leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Another problem I have with this EP are the choruses. For the most part, they just repeat one line over and over again, making the song for the most part forgettable. The vocals and music are pretty okay, but nothing we haven’t heard before.

I am not a big fan of the Plain White T’s. Their last album never caught on to me, and this EP did not convert me into a fan, either. While I do enjoy a few tracks (“Hey There Delilah” and “Down The Road”), this EP isn’t going to change your mind about the band, if you’re not a fan. But, if you are a fan of the Plain White T’s, then you’ll eat this EP up and love it a lot. In conclusion, Hey There Delilah has its moments, but it’s just not for me, and I would only recommend it to pop-rock fans.

Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. Hey There Delilah
2. Easy Way Out
3. Down The Road
4. Losing Myself
5. If I Told You
6. Hey There Delilah (live)
Produced by: Sean O'Keefe

Plain White T's are:
Tom Higgenson - vocals
Dave Tirio - guitar
Mike Retondo - bass, vocals
De'Mar Hamilton - drums
Tim Lopez - guitar, vocals

Release Date: May 9, 2006
Record Label: Fearless Records
Official Website; Official Myspace; AP Artist Profile
 
Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
12:20 PM on 04/28/06
#2
Katie Schmitz
OMGZ SKWRL!
Offline
User Info.
Katie Schmitz's Avatar
I'm a fan, therefore I disagree with you on the review.

Props for honestly though, by coming out and saying your not a fan :)
12:29 PM on 04/28/06
#3
J_169
You'reNotAlone
Offline
User Info.
J_169's Avatar
if your not a fan then the ratings obviously gona be low therefore i cant reely take anything from this
12:34 PM on 04/28/06
#4
Kram41
Registered Member
Offline
User Info.
Kram41's Avatar
Originally Posted by J_169
if your not a fan then the ratings obviously gona be low therefore i cant reely take anything from this

If you're a fan, get it. If not, don't.
12:44 PM on 04/28/06
#5
Steve Henderson
Retired
Offline
User Info.
Steve Henderson's Avatar
Originally Posted by J_169
if your not a fan then the ratings obviously gona be low therefore i cant reely take anything from this
Literacy is fun.
01:23 PM on 04/28/06
#6
zizou1790
City of Champions
Offline
User Info.
zizou1790's Avatar
i might check this out for the new HTD version
01:24 PM on 04/28/06
#7
Waltz Whitman
Registered User
Offline
User Info.
Waltz Whitman's Avatar
ah. the plain white ts. one of the first bands i got into as young teen back in 8th grade. STOP is one of my favorite CDs of all time. All That We Needed never did much for me though. Take Me Away and Breakdown were good but I don't remember much of the rest.

I know these guys will blow up but I'm not sure how I'll feel about it when they do.
01:25 PM on 04/28/06
#8
zizou1790
City of Champions
Offline
User Info.
zizou1790's Avatar
Originally Posted by UncleRico!
Literacy is fun.

i just read ur punchline review and really enjoyed it
01:30 PM on 04/28/06
#9
Steve Henderson
Retired
Offline
User Info.
Steve Henderson's Avatar
Originally Posted by zizou1790
i just read ur punchline review and really enjoyed it
Thanks, dude...heard the album yet?

Brandtson is next :)
02:43 PM on 04/28/06
llwin
Soundtrack To A Headrush
Offline
User Info.
llwin's Avatar
i couldn't agree with your review more.. never got into 'em either.
04:15 PM on 04/28/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
Offline
User Info.
GoWaitInTheCar's Avatar
REVIEW PLACEBO'S NEW RECORD, "MEDS"

For some reason, I think you'd like it, Drew.
07:36 PM on 04/28/06
Save my day
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This pop punk album gets the shaft just cause you aren't a fan? How lame, there's tons of albums that are just as mediocre I see getting higher scores.
09:23 PM on 04/28/06
llmp
Incorrigality
Offline
User Info.
llmp's Avatar
I usually mildly enjoy bands like this...but Plain White T's are no bueno.
09:57 PM on 04/28/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Offline
User Info.
Drew Beringer's Avatar
Originally Posted by Save my day
This pop punk album gets the shaft just cause you aren't a fan? How lame, there's tons of albums that are just as mediocre I see getting higher scores.

But this album did nothing for me, I went into it with an open mind and I really like 2 of the tracks. The rest of it is just repetitive and boring.
10:05 PM on 04/28/06
Mitch
this is water
Offline
User Info.
Mitch's Avatar
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
But this album did nothing for me, I went into it with an open mind and I really like 2 of the tracks. The rest of it is just repetitive and boring.

See Drew? You finally give a negative score, and you still get shit for it.

I've never listened to this band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos
HIDDEN TREASURES
AbsolutePunk Podcast
Free Music
Sports Forum
Technology Forum
Recommendations
INFORMATION
Advertising
Contact Us
Copyright Policy
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
FOLLOW
Twitter | Facebook | RSS
PropertyOfZack
UnderTheGun
Purevolume
Chorus.fm | @jason_tate