Password

Album Review

One Second 2 Late - From the Moon Down Album Cover

One Second 2 Late - From the Moon Down

Reviewed by
One Second 2 Late - From The Moon Down
Release Date: November 19, 2005
Record Label: Exit 57 Records

Straight from the heart of Newcastle, Ontario, Canada comes One Second 2 Late, a five-piece who not only bursts with originality, determination, and over-the-top musical ability, but the power to change music as we know it. With their sophmore EP, From The Moon Down (the follow-up to 2004’s Phone Home), One Second 2 Late manage to successfully break new ground, landing on turf that fans have yet to hear thus far, as well as launch their overall appeal to blistering new heights. The EP, which was produced at the hands of legendary Canadian producer Murray Daigle (Cauterize, Not By Choice, etc.) shows a side of the bands sound and image that is unmatched, and undeniably captivating.

The EP first makes its mark with “Vancouver", a hard-hitting anthem which consistently displays no less than the bands proficiency in breaking down the binding musical barriers so commonly built amongst these particular genres. It’s evident already that One Second 2 Late feel no urge to lock themselves within a single genre, especially when there’s so much musical ground aching to be explored. Lead vocalist Brian Pisani’s voice is raw, yet soothing all the same, and one of many key-factors in the bands explosive seductiveness. “Twice As Dead", the EP’s second track, follows in the same exciting, and evidently enticing format that the opener set the chorus with. The track, which is lyrically descriptive of an exciting love-hate relationship centered around a past-tense bank robbery, showcases the bands compulsory know-how in crafting an infectious hook, all the while forcing the listener to beg for more. The discs third track, “Moon Down", features the power behind the bands commanding musicians (consisting of guitarists Kyle Allin and Rob Henderson, bassist Adrian Vasseur, and drummer Derrick Knox). Lyrically, the track is descriptive of the highly-intriguing unknown life above, and creates for an interesting experience from start to finish. The power behind the bands sound is phenomenal at every stop and the structure of each song is perfectly arranged on every level.

Moving along, we reach the records fourth track, “The Break In Me", a slower ballad that is literally jam-packed with harmonies. The songs tempo is consistent, but constructed with enough power at all opportunities to relay an almost anthemic vibe throughout the track. Vocally, Pisani is at the top of his game and his undeniable singing ability is incontestable. “Blue Papered", on the other hand, leans in an energetic, old-school pop-punk direction, while the track is lyrically descriptive of a female patient held in an insane asylum. Drummer Derrick Knox formulates a dynamic rhythm throughout the course of the tracks running time, which clocks in at just over four minutes. On a related note, one of the bands spellbinding factors is their constant knack for crafting songs that run considerably longer than the time of a normal track, yet never managing to alienate their sound or lose their retained value in the slightest. To close off the EP comes the darkest, and quite possibly the hardest offering yet, “Screams For You". The song, which not only introduces the incorporation of a piano (courtesy of Pisani), but as well as fabulous dual-guitar melodies compliments of Allin and Henderson, maintains the bands signature, explosive sound with a handful of almight hooks. Additionally, the track features a stunning, over a minute long piano breakdown before erupting into the remaining choruses.

In conclusion, words cannot describe the impression One Second 2 Late has left me with. “From The Moon Down” is not only an exciting, exhilarating experience from beginning to end, but the band manages to stray above and beyond any expectations any listeners could have possibly had before endulging themselves in the records contents. Although the EP comes to a close much sooner than one would prefer, each track offers enough incredible hooks to ensure the replayability and staying power of the album. One Second 2 Late have created a debut they should be proud of, and one that any listener should be excited to lay their hands on. This is a band with all the makings of a big hit, and they’re well on their way to becoming just that.

For Fans OfOne Second 2 Late, Halifax, Billy Talent, and Thrice
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
12:36 PM on 05/04/06
almandude
BDGC For Life!
User Info.
Good review. I need to pick this up.
03:14 PM on 05/04/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
Isn't your brother in this band?
05:37 PM on 05/04/06
dbarker02
forever changes
User Info.
Damn, Tate caught you. Bias bias bias?
05:41 PM on 05/04/06
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate
Beat me to it ...

I'll take your word though, Brandon, and ignore any bias.
04:03 PM on 05/05/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate
Yes. But, i'm not about to bullshit anyone and tell them a shitty record is incredible. I wouldn't have written this if I wasn't behind them musically 100%.
03:59 AM on 05/15/06
[Brendan]
Jesus is my ride home.
User Info.
They sound pretty good from listening to their songs on Myspace.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos