The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
La Coterie (Katey; violin, keyboard, vocals)
1. How did you get your band name?
We were just clicking through dictionary.com to get a title for our Google group, and after a few months of no one agreeing on a name, we decided to just go with la coterie.
2. How did this band get started?
Christina posted an ad on Craigslist for band members and mentioned a few bands she liked. The list included The Hush Sound which is my favorite band. I had already met with one guy about starting a band but he was creepy, so I had said no more CL. But I was just so excited that someone else had even heard of The Hush Sound, so I emailed her and we got together at a local university.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We all listen to different stuff, but Brazilian girls, Lesbians on Ecstasy, Johnny cash, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach, fats domino, bomb the music industry, the hush sound, muddy waters
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Fats Domino! I'd ask to jam with him.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Is this that sex fetish? Well, none, that sounds uncomfortably hot. But I suppose a squirrel, because I like the squirrel sequence in Sword in the Stone.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We're crazy fun, love to just play, skilled, practice hard, actually rehearse a lot, and our songs make you want to move: dance, mosh, whatever!
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"5 minutes to midnightĒ Itís about the apocalypse, completely awesome, and it's the one where I get to play bass, which is so much fun. I guess it'd be a one or two, though I've never played guitar hero. It's easy so you can just go crazy with it.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My mom and my high school orchestra teacher.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
All the Lou Pearlman's would be eliminated.
10. Memorable tour experience?
No tours yet! We've played 3 shows, with our 4th tonight. At our first show we didnít have a drummer yet, so some guy just jumped up on stage and played with us. Someone in the crowd threw a beer bottle and it sprayed all over him, and he just kept going.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Itís really the only place where I'll get updates about tiny indie bands. Itís good to know thereís at least one place that exists for the love of music, since mtv basically died a long time ago. And the proliferation of indie fans and genuine music lovers makes it less and less necessary for a band to be on a major label, or signed at all.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"The honey blues", because I love to sing and the piano part is easy.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I'd like to spend some time in Jamaica.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
American folk songs. I had sing-a-long tapes that had Skip to my Lou, and Sweet bÍtise from pike, and Swanee River, all those songs.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Breathe under water! I'm scared of drowning.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
We havenít gone as for as we want to (which is supporting ourselves with the band), but if we had to quit right now I'd be 100% happy with what we've done so far.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Well, fans=friends. I guess no one knows I hate my voice!
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Write fiction, cook, go on walks, paint, compose classical music, read, do Pilates, drink starbucks.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I've invented a couple amazingly delicious drinks.