The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
Science Fiction Theater - Mike Jimenez (ex Rufio drummer)
1. How did you get your band name?
Trying to decide on a band name is harder than a set of parents trying to name their first born. It took us close to 6 months to agree on a band name. We wanted something long and odd. Many of our favorite bands have long weird names and we admire that. One amazing band worth mentioning is They Might Be Giants. We were hanging out watching the Back to the Future trilogy when one of the lines caught our ears. That line included Science Fiction Theater.
2. How did this band get started?
Matt and I have been making music together since we were wee lads. By the way, Matt and I are brothers too. Even when I was super busy with Rufio we'd still find time to play and write songs. In between tours I would always look forward to getting home and writing songs with Matt and Artie, our bass player. Things naturally evolved and are still evolving from there. We now have 5 members.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Failure, David Bowie, The Replacements, The Clash, Wilco, The Smiths, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Beatles (cliche but we can't escape it), Rufus Wainwright, The Pixies, Neutral Milk Hotel, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Cure, Teenage Fanclub, Queen, Vanilla i.........forgot.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Top 5 list (alive or dead)
1. The Beatles (Rubber Soul era)
2. Rush (we like drum solos)
5. Genesis (Prog era)
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I didn't know such a creepy sub-culture existed until I googled furry and saw a half cat / half Megan Fox. I would be a cat for the obvious reasons.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because they need a new band to replace Oasis while Noel is going solo.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would either pick "Gasoline" or "Hold". I imagine them being too hard for me and too easy for an 11 year old.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Kanye West, for not interrupting my speech.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would put more people that actually like music in the industry.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We got in an out-of-control prank war with Taking Back Sunday and on the last day of tour we staged it to appear that their van was stolen. We drove it up the street and covered it in ketchup. Ed was upset.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
My morning routine = stretching, coffee and cereal, read AP.net, shower.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
At the moment it's "Hold."
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I'm a huge fan of Sydney, Australia.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Beatles and Weird Al.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Time Travel. So I could punch Hitler in the stache.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
In a traditional, old timer Hollywood way.... No. We're not filthy rich and covered in red velvet. But we have the greatest fans and I'm excited to make music with these guys everyday and would rather be here than anywhere else. So I guess that's "Making It" in a non-traditional sense.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
One of my goals is to try as many different foods (mainly meats) as I can before I die. Some that I've already had are: Alligator, Jellyfish, Kangaroo, Elk, and Black Pudding. Sorry vegetarian folks, I'm a carnivore.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Make music, make short films, hang out at hole-in-the-wall diners late at night.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm a good listener. People always spill their guts to me. even if I don't know them that well.
you guys are on to us. we're a band of psychics. we get our song ideas by traveling to the distant future and stealing the big hit tunes of the time. This is a photo of a future band that goes by the name "Sugar Ray part 2". They are as massive as U2 in the year 3029.