AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Mars Volta News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Omar Rodriguez Xenophanes

Posted by - 06:45 PM on 09/28/09
Omar Rodriguez Lopez will release Xenophanes on November 10th.

Track Listing
1. Azoemia
2. Mundo De Ciegos (MP3)
3. Ojo Al Cristo De Plata
4. Amanita Virosa
5. Sangrando Detrás De Los Ojos
6. Desarraigo
7. Asco Que Conmueve Los Puntos Erógenos
8. Oremos
9. Perder El Arte De La Razón Sin Mover Un Sólo Dedo
10. a) Flores De Cizaña
11. b) Maria Celeste

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
06:46 PM on 09/28/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.

Renown guitarist and musical mastermind Omar Rodriguez Lopez is set to release perhaps his most melodic and revealing album to date worldwide on November 10th, 2009 via his own Rodriguez Lopez Productions, with European release on September 28th. The disc, titled Xenophanes is the first to feature lead vocals from the Grammy-winning guitar legend -- and we don't use the word "legend" lightly, Rolling Stone hails him among their "Greatest Guitarists of All Time", placing him on that issue's cover. Check out the first MP3, "Mundo De Ciegos" (HERE).

Wikipedia tells us that Xenophanes was a Greek philosopher, poet, and social and religious critic of the 5th century BC. His pantheistic conception of the Universe supposed that everything in existence has always existed. He rejected his contemporaries' notions of an anthropomorphic "god" (or hierarchy of gods) in favor of a concept not the least bit irrelevant to our 21st century mindset, that of a singular (and hence, all-encompassing) global consciousness. His unorthodox concepts were not widely acknowledged until many hundreds of years after his death, and suffice to say, their material concerns are primarily those which humans wage war over two-and-a-half millennia later. Little surprise, then, that this iconoclastic anomaly of a man should lend his name to a new concept album by The Mars Volta's hyper-prolific mastermind, Omar Rodriguez Lopez.

The inaugural recording from Rodriguez Lopez's low-profile compound in Zapopan, Mexico, Xenophanes is the first album which finds him at the helm vocally and lyrically, as well as musically. Sung entirely in Spanish, Xenophanes showcases a side of Omar rarely seen before, allowing for a much more gestural experience of the man rather than simply the musician, and truly distinguishing this album from its myriad predecessors. Equal parts Volta bombast, El Grupo Nuevo... technicality, and a textural richness unequaled on prior solo releases, Xenophanes is a triumph of imagination and an inspired, concise statement. A conceptual journey through life, death, and re-birth, the album tells the story of a selfish and judgmental female caseworker who falls in love with a male client, only for him to die soon thereafter. Over the course of eleven subsequent lifetimes, the woman experiences life from every conceivable vantage point as her soul evolves, thereby allowing the maturity and eventual letting-go of her ego which in turn enables the realization that the man was, and always has been, her father spirit. Suggesting the fractal and holographic nature of both consciousness and physical reality, the concepts embraced on Xenophanes will appear at least vaguely familiar to anyone with experience in the psychedelic and/or shamanic realms; concepts which Xenophanes himself was likely the first to express within the confines of Western philosophy.

In order to execute the unpredictable, emotionally-charged compositions on Xenophanes, Rodriguez Lopez once again enlists his veteran co-conspirators: bassist Juan Alderete de la Peña, drummer Thomas Pridgen and keyboardist/percussionist Marcel Rodriguez Lopez. Additionally, the album includes contributions from Mark Aanderud (additional keyboards), as well as the notable voice of Ximena Sariñana, doubling and backing Rodriguez Lopez's vocals. As Sariñana's presence on Omar's recordings and during live performances has already been a cause for much speculation, it should be made clear that Xenophanes does not feature the accomplished and versatile singer's own vocal compostions. Subsequent releases (the forthcoming Los Suenos De Un Hidago and Ciencia De Los Inutiles albums, for instance) will fully showcase Sariñana's penchant for infectious melody and engaging lyrics.

Artist: Omar Rodriguez Lopez

Album: Xenophanes

Label: Rodriguez Lopez Productions

Release Date: November 10, 2009

1. Azoemia
2. Mundo De Ciegos (MP3)
3. Ojo Al Cristo De Plata
4. Amanita Virosa
5. Sangrando Detrás De Los Ojos
6. Desarraigo
7. Asco Que Conmueve Los Puntos Erógenos
8. Oremos
9. Perder El Arte De La Razón Sin Mover Un Sólo Dedo
10. a) Flores De Cizaña
11. b) Maria Celeste

On the Web:

http://rodriguezlopezproductions.com

http://www.myspace.com/rodriguezlopezproductions

Further Reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Rodr%C3%ADguez-López

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1868...enius-Set-Free
06:49 PM on 09/28/09
FullCollaspe
User Info.
This guy never stops releasing new stuff
06:51 PM on 09/28/09
FullCollaspe
User Info.
Also the link for ''Mundo De Ciegos'' doesn't work
06:52 PM on 09/28/09
FueledByRock
Michael Jackson. A million dollars.
User Info.
Cool, I'll probably pick this up.
06:57 PM on 09/28/09
ninthandash
ninthandash.com
User Info.
deep
07:00 PM on 09/28/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Also the link for ''Mundo De Ciegos'' doesn't work
Fixed
07:02 PM on 09/28/09
guiguedz
User Info.
...and it has already leaked.

I can't keep up with everything Omar releases. I don't believe that anyone with a semi-busy life can.
07:13 PM on 09/28/09
SteveD
It won't snow where she is going.
User Info.
He just cannot stop making music.

Epic.
07:19 PM on 09/28/09
harveyn590
User Info.
Its streaming for free on his bandcamp site; http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/

along with his other new album " Los Suenos De Un Higado", which is fucking awesome.

I'm so excited to hear Omar sing!!!
07:20 PM on 09/28/09
harveyn590
User Info.
...and it has already leaked.

I can't keep up with everything Omar releases. I don't believe that anyone with a semi-busy life can.
definitely check out http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/

I had the same feeling, and although this doesn't solve it, this really helps you sort through his discography in a really convenient way
07:21 PM on 09/28/09
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
This guy is out of control...I love it!
07:22 PM on 09/28/09
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
It was actually digitally released as of today: http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/xenophanes with a $7 minimum.

Also, Los Sueños De Un Higado was released yesterday with a Vinyl release being Dec 1:

1. Boiling Death Request A Body To Rest Its Head On
2.How To Bill The Bilderberg Group
3.Locomocion Capilar
4.Las Flores Con Limón
5.Victimas Del Cielo
07:26 PM on 09/28/09
thecomingweak
User Info.
i saw a video in spanish in his "home studio" it was sick. i could not understand anything he was saying but the gear was really really really nice and the spot was cool
07:43 PM on 09/28/09
sargenthouse
User Info.
Both these albums were release yesterday and both of them are amazing you can hear all his albums at that http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com site. We use that site for all our records at Sargent House and Rodriguez Lopez PRoductions because it's great to give people the option to hear the whole album - I highly recommend checking out all his stuff it's rad.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos