AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Tyler Read - 01.27.09

Tyler Read - 01.27.09

Interviewed by
Tyler Read - 01.27.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Tyler Read - (Chris McPeters)

1. How did you get your band name?

Well, it all started when we were all on an African Safari/hunt in 2002. This was before we were a band, of course. We were hunting elephant because of the rising demand of ivory and we were looking to make a quick buck. Well, one day on our journey we heard a rustling in the bushes. We scurried over expecting to see a hyena or something of the sort, but to our surprise an infant wrapped in cloth was nestled in the brush. We wondered how an infant could possibly get to be here and why someone would abandon it in the middle of the hunting grounds. We took him to a nearby river to clean him up and as we poured water on his head, an eagle appeared out of thin air, as if it were a ghost or some illusion, hoovering over us and sparkling in the sun. The eagle then spoke to us! It told us that it was the child's spirit animal and that we had been chosen. That our destiny was to care for this child and raise him as our own. He told us the child's name was Tyler Read and that he would someday rule the land and rid it of all evil. He then bestowed upon all of us the gift of music, in order to soothe the child when in need and to bring him joy. The eagle then vanished. As we returned home with our son and our newly given gifts, we decided to start a band to help raise money to care for him. Of course the band decided the only true name for the band would be Tyler Read. And really from there its just history.

Ok, not really. Tyler Read is our singer and drummer's cousin.

2. How did this band get started?
Our drummer and singer started playing music a few years back not expecting to do anything with it, and after member change after member change we ended up here. jammin.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I think our singer Josh said it best once when he said any band that can get on stage and strike an A chord and just let it ring and actually feel it has had some impact on us. But if you're looking for names then our music is really influenced by The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Kings of Leon, The Raconteurs, etc. etc.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Probably all of the bands I listed above. Not only to play for their crowd but just so we can watch them every night.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Most definitely a bear. They get to sleep for months at a time. Sounds perfect to me.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think people write music for a lot of different reasons, and want people to get different things out of it or experience different things. We have a few songs that have somewhat darker connotations, but overall I think people that listen to us and come see our shows just like to have a good time. That's what music is about. Whether it makes you cry, laugh, or want to dance, it should impact you and evoke some kind of emotion.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Well we have a new album coming out soon with some tasty jams on it, but for those who know our first album the opening track "The Killer" always seemed to be perfect for Guitar Hero. And since Guitar Hero always seems to make songs even harder to play on the game than they are in real life I'd say it would be pretty tough.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My family for CONSTANTLY supporting me, and The Ninja Turtles for going on the "Coming Out of Their Shells" tour. That's what really got me into music.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Well I think every single musician out there would agree with me in trying to get people to buy albums again. Not that digital downloads aren't good. I've bought a few digital albums, but something about the whole experience of buying an album and getting to open it and flipping through the booklet and looking at the artwork and how it all comes together just seems to be lost these days.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We just got off tour with The Classic Crime (who everyone should check out if you haven't already) and after one of the shows both our bands went back to one of their friend's houses. There were three or four acoustic guitars there and we spent all hours of the night having this huge singalong with about 20 people while we played every huge 90s alternative hit we knew. (We threw in some boyz II men as well of course). The fellowship is one of the best parts of touring to me. Someone videotaped it so I'm sure some of it will end up on youtube. Hopefully "water runs dry" does. That was the highlight for me.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is good at what they do. I check it almost daily to see what my favorite bands are up to and to see whats going on in the music business. So basically it means no worries, for the rest of your days.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Well right now we have a new song called "I Don't Feel Sexy" that will be on our new album, and that definitely my favorite to play now. The crowd has been giving us super positive feedback on it and it's something they can instantly connect with and sing along to.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We went skiing in Colorado with Showbread. That was a darned good time. Hanging in the cabins, skiing, and having a Wii tennis tournament. Which I won by the way. I ate for a week off of that 12 bones.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Kriss Kross. Totally Krossed Out

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Time travel. Then i could go back and "write" Sgt. Pepper's. HA!

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
If by "made it" you mean touch the lives and hearts of fellow humans and their children all across the nation then yes. We made it a long time ago.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have never seen an episode of Saved By The Bell. There I said it. Hate me.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. Duh. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Plus that's when I get all the equipment I play on.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I think I did so many extracurricular activities growing up, that I try to do as little as possible now in my spare time.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I play the saxophone. And I can run 3 miles in 16 minutes and 27 seconds. But not at the same time.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
09:51 AM on 09/29/09
Connor Manning
My Station Is Non-Operational
User Info.
Oh man! I can't wait for the new record! I haven't seen you guys since warped '07 in Houston and that was great! Come through here again as soon as possible.
01:39 PM on 09/29/09
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Can't wait for the new stuff. These answers are hilarious. Never seen Saved By the Bell!? Wow, lol.
01:42 PM on 09/29/09
Aphotica6
User Info.
I love this band and I have a really good feeling about the new album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos