AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The New Lead Detectives - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
The New Lead Detectives - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The New Lead Detectives - (Luke McCain , lead singer/guitarist)

1. How did you get your band name?
It's a quote from the movie "Blue Streak" with Martin Lawrence. In it, the Captain of the police force says to Lawrence, "Malone, you're the New Lead Detective!"

2. How did this band get started?

It started with me making songs by myself in my bedroom with beats on garageband and an acoustic guitar. After I posted a song on MySpace late one night, a few friends liked what they heard and thought it would be cool to start making songs together.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We definitely wouldn't be a band without Fall Out Boy, The Academy Is, My Chemical Romance, etc. Those important "scene" bands that inspired us to pick up instruments in the first place and fall in love with the music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
I would love to tour with The Academy Is... because they bring such an awesome live show and have been an inspiration for years. Same with FOB, which is obviously a dream come true for any band. But I'd also love to tour with My American Heart, The Hush Sound, and Motion City Soundtrack.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

I'd be a bear. Probably a cross between a ferocious grizzly and Winnie the Pooh.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I'd like to think we have a someone unique sound and tell stories within our songs using emotions that we have all felt before in our lives. We definitely don't try to re-create any genres or knock down any barriers, but we try to bring something fresh and new to every song that we do. In the end though, we are a pop/rock band, so we just want to stay true to ourselves.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
We have a new song we just recorded called "Corey's Joint". Its not posted anywhere online yet but will be in the next couple weeks. We've been playing it live for almost a year now, but its straight up 1970s classic rock riffs with a minute long intro and a slick "classic guitar hero" solo by our lead guitarist Corey in the bridge. It would fit perfectly. Every time we hear it we say we should rename this song to "Guitar Hero".

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Friends, family, bands like Fall Out Boy, The Academy Is, My Chemical Romance, girls or people who inspire great lyrics.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I'd try to change the vicious grasp some labels have on artists restricting them to do special things for fans like secret shows or give away free music.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We've only toured slightly in the southern California area, but in our very first show at the Epicentre in San Diego, I went to grab the microphone off of the stand, and in one fell swoop, it disconnected from the cable. I had to connect it while the band kept playing. Embarrassing as all hell to say the least, but still quite memorable.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means music. It means information. It's opinions, ideas, input and output from people who love or hate the same bands that I love or hate. It's the place I go to for breaking news, gossip, in depth information and anything in between.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

We have a song called "Million Miles" that was our first song written as a band. Although its only played acoustic, it was written at a time when both me and my best friend just ended long relationships. We sat down and threw ideas for lyrics off of each other straight from the heart of what we felt at that moment. And "Million Miles" is what came out of it. It's become a fan favorite at shows. I hate to use this analogy, but if we are The Plain White Tees, "Million Miles" is our "Hey There Delilah".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
no answer provided

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Beatles "Abbey Road", anything Elton John, anything James Taylor, The Supremes, The Beach Boys, Elvis, 1950s hits, The Doors, The Carpenters

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To fly. I just think it would be amazing to soar in the sky. I'd love it.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not at all. But that's really not why we do it. I do it because if I still wasn't in a band, I'd still be writing songs in my room by myself and recording them alone. I can't explain the feeling, but I get an urge that I have music in me that needs to be released, and I won't stop until it's out.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I hate talking on stage. I get incredibly nervous and my mouth dries up so I can't sing unless I have like 3 bottles of water on stage at all times.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. Family, friends, food... What beats that?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I collect music books and dvds, so I like to read those and watch those. Also just hang out with friends as much as possible.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I've been into film since I was about 5 years old. I've been filming weddings and editing them for almost 8 years. I'm good with camera and editing and anything else based around film. I love it all.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests