AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Years Gone By - Something You Know... Album Cover

The Years Gone By - Something You Know...

Reviewed by
The Years Gone By - Something You Know Nothing About
Release Date: October 6, 2009
Record Label: Unsigned
Whoa, whoa, whoa -- since when did glossy pop-punk (emphasis on the pop) actually become respectable again? Answer: when The Years Gone By decided it was time to settle down, center their focus and unleash an EP that contains the best material yet of their, well, short career (so far!). Last year's Forever Comes Too Soon was a rather mild entry in establishing the band as a threat amongst the All Time Lows and Hit the Lights, but consider yourself warned. The Years Gone By are all that and a bag of chips, with the extra-juicy hooks piled upon power chords that spit out melodies Kenny Vasoli would cherish.

Taking some much-needed time off to reassess their ideas of what kind of pop-punk they wanted to replicate, The Years Gone By went back to the drawing board and set forth on releasing five songs that took all that promise their debut hinted at, and this time, actually delivering the results. Clocking in at just under 16 minutes, Something You Know Nothing About documents a band reconfiguring everything they had previously done and making it sound larger than before, but piecing it together with far more natural ideals. Essentially, it's a complicated way of saying, this EP is more style, less substance.

"For the Hopeless" kicks it off with self-reflective road-journal lyrics and a flurry of terrific drumwork courtesy of Louis Dobrolsky. "The Last Perfect Thing" is the best song Alex Gaskarth never bothered to write, an ode to the band's hometown; again, the production highlights Dobrolsky's work, because there is rarely an instance where his mechanics sound hollow or "St. Anger-ish". "Dirty Converse Shoes" goes down so smooth, you'd swear it was made of chocolate milk (unless you're lactose intolerant, which in that case, it goes down like a good beer... or if you're under 21, Snapple). There's something in Nick Madore's voice that sounds less insecure and more profound in a strikingly confident manner, as if he is singing from the heart this time around. Alright, so maybe Put Up or Shut Up was spinning in the background when the band wrote all this, but as long as they keep their chins up and focus on the content of their music over Glamour Kills' new winter line, The Years Gone By can boldly go where Drive-Thru bands once used to prosper (no, silly -- not Richard Reines' back-walking seminars; I meant the big leagues!).

"The Safest Place" rolls along on a nice chunky bass riff and oozes with charm you haven't seen since Jimmy Eat World danced with kids in their underpants. The entire record just plays as a far more genuine and honest display of who The Years Gone By truly are -- and frankly, it sounds quite nice. For anyone who has given up on the more-produced version of pop-punk, maybe The Years Gone By will be the ones to set you straight. There's enough edge here for the ones who question and plenty of solid hooks for the ones who seek answers.

Recommended if You LikeAll Time Low's Put Up or Shut Up; Farewell's Run it Up the Flagpole; The Starting Line's With Hopes of Starting Over; Hit the Lights' Until We Get Caught; Cartel's Ransom EP
Choice Cuts"The Safest Place," "Dirty Converse Shoes" and "The Last Perfect Thing"

Tracklisting1. For the Hopeless
2. The Last Perfect Thing
3. Dirty Converse Shoes
4. The Safest Place
5. Make You Stay Tonight
Band MembersNick Madore: vocals/guitar
Mike Polimine: guitar
Will Johnston: bass
Louis Dobrolsky: drums

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace
PurchaseAmazon MP3
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68
10:46 PM on 10/05/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
jesus fallon you get dumped or something...popping these reviews out in a rather large quanity.
10:52 PM on 10/05/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
jesus fallon you get dumped or something...popping these reviews out in a rather large quanity.
Hahaha I've had them all half-done, just had to put the final touches on them. I had a day off work and school... and yeah, my girl and I broke up, so I suppose I have more time than usual haha
11:09 PM on 10/05/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
In that case I feel really bad you had to review Iron Front....
11:10 PM on 10/05/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
In that case I feel really bad you had to review Iron Front....
Hahahaha you think I scored it too high?
11:20 PM on 10/05/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
Hahahaha you think I scored it too high?
short answer, Yes. But no one on this site actually listens to punk music anymore so no one will notice.
11:24 PM on 10/05/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
short answer, Yes. But no one on this site actually listens to punk music anymore so no one will notice.
Hahaha I'm doing my best to bring it back in full force to the people
11:34 PM on 10/05/09
Justin_stacy
Go AWAY! Batin'!
User Info.
The masses won't care. Without neon colored pants or fancy dance moves, they won't give a shit.
11:37 PM on 10/05/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I do it for the punk kids -- we know who we are and they care, damn it!
12:04 AM on 10/06/09
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Gotta check this out really soon, this band is so good.
01:58 AM on 10/06/09
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
Downloading it now, Im confident you won't dissapoint...
02:07 AM on 10/06/09
stereokiller
Nintendo FC: 0962 9717 4432
User Info.
Hahaha I've had them all half-done, just had to put the final touches on them. I had a day off work and school... and yeah, my girl and I broke up, so I suppose I have more time than usual haha
aw, sorry man. that sucks.

liked the review, nothing special. but i kind of liked your other reviews(21st, Flagpole, Broadway Calls, and Mandala are some i can remember).
02:22 AM on 10/06/09
tuxiboy
Polarbear
User Info.
They're album on Rise was the best poppunk release I had heard for a long while. Looking forward to checking this one out.
04:24 AM on 10/06/09
TellYourFriends
The Bad Guy
User Info.
Just bought this. Excited to give it a good listen.
04:49 AM on 10/06/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
That album art is hideous. Good God.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT