AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Glorious Unseen, The - The Cries of the Broken (EP) Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Glorious Unseen, The - The Cries of the Broken (EP)

Reviewed by: inthemidst (10/06/09)
The Glorious Unseen - The Cries of the Broken (EP)
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records/BEC Recordings
Release Date: November 11, 2008

Nashville, TN's indie worship-band The Glorious Unseen come back with the digital EP "Cries for the Broken" following up their previous-year's release "Tonight, the Stars Speak" which gave me an indication that there is a different sound of worship that still invites the listener to the presence of God. TGU's style of mixing ambient undertones with heartfelt worship music takes a bit of a turn for the EP; an acoustic version of five tracks originally played on "Tonight, the Stars Speak", plus two bonus tracks (one B-side and one cover).

The EP begins with classic strumming of acoustic guitar chords on the first track "Wrapped Up In You", then a couple seconds in adds a violin to replace the electronic-synth on the full-length, to give it a raw authenticity. The melodies are yet again simple, but nonetheless lovely and endearing. Ben Crist's voice, deep, but not throaty or raspy, clearly blankets the softly-driven instrumental set in the background bringing the coffee shop worship music to a new level of elegant simplicity. Janell Belcher (The Ember Days) is featured on all five of the acoustic songs adding a whole new element combining her high-pitched soprano with Crist's unique form of low-baritone, almost to the level of bass pitched.

The B-Side "Your Promises Still Remain" is a track that should've ultimately been on "Tonight, the Stars Speak", but maybe didn't mesh well with the ten tracks released. It's a great song that uses more of a traditional worship track, using a catchy melody, but still adding TGU's infallible mix of ambient undertones in between. The last track is a cover of Third Day's "God of Wonders". TGU is no stranger to covering worship songs; on "Tonight...", they covered David Crowder Band's "All This For a King". Nothing new here, but still a lovely track to add to the mix.

Overall, this is a great EP. It shows a more dynamic side to TGU; maybe showing what they would sound like if they played a set at a local café; using a raw authentic acoustic style to match their already masterful ambient-electronics.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
04:57 PM on 10/30/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Good review and a nice little EP.
07:47 PM on 10/30/09
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
I never liked worship bands until I heard their first (beautiful) record. Good EP too.
08:47 PM on 10/30/09
Euterpe
User Info.
TGU is great. Good review. Does anyone know of a bit more, uptempoed, or agressive sounding indie worship?
09:03 PM on 10/30/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Oh yeah I forget about this EP... looking forward to your review on the new album.
11:46 PM on 10/30/09
growingfungus
eat. sleep. repeat.
User Info.
get the new album "the hope that lies in you"!
02:11 AM on 10/31/09
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
TGU is great. Good review. Does anyone know of a bit more, uptempoed, or agressive sounding indie worship?
Ascend the Hill and The Ember Days are pretty good. Jesus Culture is really good too, though I don't know if you would consider that indie worship.
08:09 PM on 10/31/09
xbobbybo
User Info.
check out.... john mark mcmillan ... he is awesome. http://www.myspace.com/johnmarkmcmillan

jesus culture is amazing, but id say its more on the worship side of things.

the glorious unseen just put on a new and amazing album about 2 months ago... be sure to go and check that out. "the hope that lies in you"
07:24 AM on 11/01/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
check out.... john mark mcmillan ... he is awesome. http://www.myspace.com/johnmarkmcmillan

jesus culture is amazing, but id say its more on the worship side of things.

the glorious unseen just put on a new and amazing album about 2 months ago... be sure to go and check that out. "the hope that lies in you"
Good call. John Mark McMillan is a great songwriter.

The Hope That Lies In You is great too. I was going to review that, but I had posted this review on Amazon last year for this album, and decided to just post it on here.
08:13 PM on 11/02/09
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
Good call. John Mark McMillan is a great songwriter.

The Hope That Lies In You is great too. I was going to review that, but I had posted this review on Amazon last year for this album, and decided to just post it on here.
I love John Mark. Now that we're getting into that. Anyone listen to Jason Upton or Misty Edwards? Two of my hands down favorite worship artists.
06:02 AM on 11/03/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I love John Mark. Now that we're getting into that. Anyone listen to Jason Upton or Misty Edwards? Two of my hands down favorite worship artists.
I've heard of Jason Upton, but have never checked his stuff out, and now I will, so thank you. Misty Edwards is ok. I listened to some of her songs a few months ago, and it was kind of typical worship, but not bad at all.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests