AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fall Of Troy, The - In The Unlikely Event Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 2.75
Production 6.25
Creativity 3.25
Lasting Value 0.75
Reviewer Tilt 4.25
Final Verdict: 41%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.06
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.88
Production 7.94
Creativity 7.69
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 5.81
Average: 69%
Inside AP.net

Fall Of Troy, The - In The Unlikely Event

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (10/07/09)
The Fall Of Troy-In The Unlikely Event
Record Label: Equal Vision
Release Date: October 6, 2009

After the epic songwriting on all of The Ghostship Demos and on Phantom on the Horizon, The Fall of Troy had truly shown us what they can do. The catchiness of Dopplegänger had combined with the long-running proficiency of their previous works to create two masterpieces. This led to huge expectations for the band to create something just as proficient, fresh, and fantastic as the two. After all, The Fall Of Troy were always about progression, weren't they? However, I have drawn at least one conclusion from this album: we have lost The Fall Of Troy. And oh how we have lost them.

In the unlikely event that you listen to the fall of The Fall Of Troy (as most of this site says their wankery is overrated) and their mess of discord and dissonance, you'll almost immediately realize how many riffs and chord progressions they're rehashing. If you thought their technique was a copious rerun of a speedy flurry of notes before, then you'll be just as abhorred as the fans are. And while there are some shining moments on the album, most of the creativity will be spent on ways to ruin the aforementioned with shoddy vocals, adolescent growls, and a flawed sense of musicianship and originality.

It also seems as though Guitar Hero gave the band a sense of self-satisfaction. “Straight-Jacket Keelhauled” was never good or even mediocre to begin with, but was the Guitar Hero solo necessary? Was the latter half of “The People Of Our Lives” necessary? I don't know, perhaps I'm completely missing some sort of artistic genius, maybe I haven't listened to the album enough times to appreciate the subtle nuances (if there are any hidden, please unveil yourselves) within? But I spent eight days...I mean approximately two hours listening to this album three times. Let me tell you, I enjoy watching paint dry than trying to explain the lack of lasting value this record manages to hold.

Another abhorrent component of this album of poor quantity is the dreadful lyrics. The Fall Of Troy has never been known as The Fall Of Tolstoy, but this new level of cognitively undemanding lyrics is worse than anything they've ever “accomplished” (I have to point out an album's “strengths” don't I?) and “Nature Vs. Nurture” is a shining example of this flaw. It seems that The Fall of Troy is pulling “Manipulator 2.0” out of their Equal Vision asses to make their next EP/album to seem better than it truly is. But I don't think this album is good enough to make people even listen to the leaks of their next works, let alone give it hyperbolic praise. Oh how we have witnessed the fall of The Fall Of Troy.

Reccomended If You Like:

www.myspace.com/thefalloftroy

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
05:19 AM on 10/31/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
Haven't listened to this album yet but I think the album art is kinda cool.

I'll try to avoid it; I have Doppelganger and Manipulator and I like both of them, but pretty much every website is giving this album a bad review.
05:44 PM on 11/01/09
pacificsound
User Info.
this album is another masterpiece. the fall of troy know how to make music. Thomas Erak is the man. professional music critics like Dymytry Vance can suck it.
09:58 PM on 11/01/09
ShortyNC
In The Final Curtain Call
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did you really just use the watching paint dry analogy? Can't wait for your next review where you shock us all with a clever jab about watching grass grow =)
09:27 AM on 11/04/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Haven't listened to this album yet but I think the album art is kinda cool.

I'll try to avoid it; I have Doppelganger and Manipulator and I like both of them, but pretty much every website is giving this album a bad review.
Don't avoid it, this dude probably doesn't realize the underlying talent of this band. This CD is like Manipulator Round II. That was a hell of an album, so I recommend this if you like that album. Sure it's less heavy, but that just means they've concentrated more on their true talents, which is their musicianship. That's just my two cents.
09:29 AM on 11/04/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Somebody else please review this cd. I'm baffled by the biased hate of the band here.
01:58 PM on 11/06/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
professional music critics like Dymytry Vance can suck it.

He's not a professional music critic, just a kid who likes to write.
03:05 PM on 11/10/09
Zaxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
someone else should probably review this, this kid is a joke
08:39 AM on 11/12/09
NegativeCreep
I'm just a stupid worthless boy
User Info.
i think we need less bias here as well. i really don't think this kid is giving it a fair shot. it's really not that bad.
06:44 AM on 03/03/10
gibson243
User Info.
this album is amazing. massive amounts of creativity and sounds.
01:40 PM on 05/28/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
this album is amazing. massive amounts of creativity and sounds.

i agree, they were a fantastic band
07:11 PM on 03/29/11
FoxVsWolf
User Info.
Not they're best work but 41% is a bullshit score. They showed a lot of progression with this album and it deserved way higher than a 41%. Next time put more depth with your review because this entire thing was just an annoying rant. I feel like I might've well have just read something by some 15 year old kid who takes himself too seriously and thinks music is only good if the middle aged hate it.
09:44 AM on 10/14/11
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You call Phantom epic when you give their best album a 75? I don't understand. Btw this is an extremely harsh review. Grant it, it was disappointing, however a 41 really makes confused. I'd give it high 60's
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests