AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Halifax - The Inevitability Of A Strange... Album Cover

Halifax - The Inevitability Of A Strange...

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
HALIFAX - The Inevitability Of A Strange World

On May 23rd, a giant sigh of relief will be released from both Drive-Thru Records and Halifax. After months of push backs, distro issues, doubts, and hard work, Halifax will have finally released their highly delayed and anticipated debut album, The Inevitability Of A Strange World, and Drive Thru Records will have released their first record in nearly 7 and a half months. And after many listens, this album is worth the wait. Produced by Lou Giordano (Taking Back Sunday) and Machine (Every Time I Die, Boys Night Out) at separate stages of the album, Inevitability is a 13-track punch in the face, mixing punk, metal, and rock with a lot of hooks, passion, and intensity, making this Strange World a place worth visiting.

The album begins with the riff-heavy anthem, “Nightmare.” Guitarists Chris Brandt and Adam Charles duel back and forth, while drummer Tommy Guindon keeps up the beat. Following that is the first single and Motley Crue-influenced, “Our Revolution.” While it’s not the best song on the album, it’s fun as hell to shout along with the uproarious chorus with lines like “Rock and roll is dead/the dead will come undead!”, and the riff in the breakdown will certainly bring back the ghosts of past rock and roll bands. “Anthem For Tonight” is reminiscent of similar band’s work, but only Halifax does it better, as Mike Hunau’s voice is full of urgency as the guitars race throughout the track. “Snow In Hollywood” is a mid-tempo rocker about a coke binge gone awfully wrong, while “Such A Terrible Trend” slows it down a bit as the guitars soar and the steady pace from bassist Doug Peyton. While this song isn’t all that bad, Halifax is at their best when they are rocking out, and this song comes off as really average. The album picks back up with “Better Than Sex,” which begins with soothing “ahh’s” that lead into a thunderous intro that doesn’t let up at all. “Promise Me Tragedy” is a snarling track raging at the seams. The chorus is hooky and the musicianship is top-notch here. The album loses some luster with the ballad, “A Tint Of Rain.” It sounds very out of place on an album like this and kinda feels like a filler track. Thankfully, the album finishes on a high note with the closer, “Murder I Wrote.” Easily my favorite song on the album, it starts with a gentle guitar riff, which delivers into a bruising duel-guitar riff and nice drumming. This track balances between slow and fast well, even incorporating some strings in the end of this track, bringing the album to a climatic end.

While this album isn’t without flaws and some filler, the majority of the songs make up for it with their heavy guitar play, lively rhythm, and earnest vocals. The Inevitability Of A Strange World is the perfect summer album, one that you can blast in your car while going at speeds of 80 MPH and singing at the top of your lungs. For those who gave on Halifax and the Drive-Thru label, I ask of you to please give this an album as shot, as I am sure it’ll surprise you like it surprised me. This release has restored a lot of my faith back into the label, as well as making me excited about Halifax’s future, as it appears very bright. On May 23rd, join Halifax and Drive-Thru in that sigh of relief, as you’ll be glad that the label is back to its normal business, releasing very good and energetic albums that’ll put a smile on our face and fun into our lives, just like the good old days.
Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. Nightmare
2. Our Revolution
3. Under Fire
4. Anthem For Tonight
5. Hey Italy
6. Snow In Hollywood
7. Such A Terrible Trend
8. Better Than Sex
9. Giant In The Ring
10. Promise Me Tragedy
11. A Tint Of Rain
12. I Told You So
13. Murder I Wrote
Produced by: Lou Giordano and Machine

Halifax are:
Mike Hunau - vocals
Chris Brandt - guitar
Adam Charles - guitar
Doug Peyton - bass
Tommy Guindon - drums

Release Date: May 23, 2006
Record Label: Drive-Thru Records
Official Website; Official Myspace; AP.net Artist Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
09:40 PM on 05/19/06
FreshyFresh23
Laying Down the Law
User Info.
good review
09:45 PM on 05/19/06
fedhed7
Chickens don't clap!
User Info.
Maybe I'll check it out.
09:46 PM on 05/19/06
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
Just thought I'd say that I'm 90% sure Mike did the bass on the album and Doug isn't in the band...

But Mike has always done the bass in the studio anyway.
09:51 PM on 05/19/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by OveriseFan
Just thought I'd say that I'm 90% sure Mike did the bass on the album and Doug isn't in the band...

But Mike has always done the bass in the studio anyway.

Well, on their bio, it says Doug is the bassist, so I went from that.
09:54 PM on 05/19/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I like 4 songs a lot, but there's just a ton of filler on this album. when they're rocking the rif***e, this album is cool, but otherwise it's kind of meh.
09:54 PM on 05/19/06
dukeboy1986
...is well Heeled!
User Info.
Drive Thru's first release in 7 and a half months, that's just crazy....
09:55 PM on 05/19/06
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
good review.
09:58 PM on 05/19/06
Pass The Flask
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
I like 4 songs a lot, but there's just a ton of filler on this album. when they're rocking the rif***e, this album is cool, but otherwise it's kind of meh.

i agree. this album is just one big pile of meh. not saying its horrible, but its not really good either.
10:09 PM on 05/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
Haha. Censored on "riff-age" :)
10:14 PM on 05/19/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
PRetty good CD, I think I would have loved it a few years ago - but now days I only like it - I guess that's the best way to describe it. Drew did a good review on this .. good job.
10:20 PM on 05/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate
PRetty good CD, I think I would have loved it a few years ago - but now days I only like it - I guess that's the best way to describe it. Drew did a good review on this .. good job.
*Waiting*
10:23 PM on 05/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
Well, on their bio, it says Doug is the bassist, so I went from that.
Drew, I got your back. When I interviewed them at their last show, here is what was said:

Can you please introduce yourselves and state your roles in the band?

Chris: I’m Chris – I play guitar and sing.
Mike: I’m Mike – I sing.
Doug: I’m Doug – I play bass and sing.
10:26 PM on 05/19/06
GoodTimes
regret would require less arrogance
User Info.
got mine in the mail today. best drive thru service i've ever received. still waiting on my shirt i was supposed to get with the allister pre-order. the halifax cd will most likely end up on ebay however
10:27 PM on 05/19/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by UncleRico!
Drew, I got your back. When I interviewed them at their last show, here is what was said:

Can you please introduce yourselves and state your roles in the band?

Chris: I’m Chris – I play guitar and sing.
Mike: I’m Mike – I sing.
Doug: I’m Doug – I play bass and sing.
haha thanks brosef

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums