AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Twin Suns - 10.09.09

Interviewed by: Jamie Pham (10/15/09)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Twin Suns - Allen Casillas - Drummer/Vocals
myspace - twitter

1. How did you get your band name?

We were shooting names around, and we ended up with 2 choices. My bandmates are huge Star Wars fans, so Twin Suns was picked over whatever the other option was.

2. How did this band get started?
Lonnie and I started playing and writing together about 2 years ago when I was getting bored with other stuff I was doing. I wanted to make a band out of it and I had the ideal line-up planned out and Lonnie was cool with whatever I had in mind. Danny, Aaron, and Justin joined, and the songs evolved to the collection of songs we have now. Getting to know each other was no problem since we were all in marching band together in high school.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
As a collective: RX Bandits, The Mars Volta, Facing New York, Portugal. the Man, The Sound of Animals Fighting, and Minus the Bear.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Aaron says The Beatles because they're the most influencial rock and roll group of all time. Lonnie says Soulive because they do everything live and they can make their audience move. Danny says Green Day because they've been his favorite band since middle school and he'd love to just be around them. Justin says The Mars Volta because they look like fun guys, and I say the 4 piece Facing New York. With Matt Fazzi having drum battles with Omar. I'd love to see that every night on tour.
And I think we could all agree on RX Bandits. We'd fit when them musically. (duh)

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I'd say a duck-billed platypus. We don't look normal together. Yet, you can't help but be fascinated by us.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because everyone else who has heard the CD or seen us live really likes us. Lotsa good reviews, wouldn't you want to disagree? I know people on AP.net LOVE doing that! Including me!

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I'd have to go ahead and say "Machete". It'd be pretty hard to five-star it on expert because it's about 8 minutes long, so you'd have to be precise for a long period, and some of those leads are fast.
Plus the drum battle part would be hard to recreate, and karaoke in Spanish would be hard, not to mention all the high notes I hit.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My parents who house our equipment and funded my end of things, credit card companies who gave Lonnie credit, our extremely supportive families, friends and fans, Jamie Pham, our families, and no thanks to Darth Vader.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The fact that the mainstream media is pretty much a monopoly, and that most of the time they make no room for real creativity. And that major labels get away with payola. Also, the bullshit manner that a label makes money by pretty much putting artists in debt with the label itself.
A movement will come though that'll get rid of all that. It's probably already started.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We haven't had any yet. We just recently started playing shows.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AbsolutePunk.net (C wat I did thar?).
It's my main source of music news. But more than often, it's main source of laughter. A lot of jackasses. A lot of smart people. It's a lot like the real world.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"L'Via L 'Viaquez" by the Mars Volta. Has a deep groove, and the drum solo on it is super fun to play. (of course, it took a bit to learn).

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
San Sebastian. A little town somewhere in Jalisco, Mexico. Relaxing, and if you're in the mood for partying, Puerto Vallarta is only a 40 minute drive away.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Selena, banda music, The Lipps Inc. song "Funkytown", and of course, Michael Jackson's "Thriller"

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability of flight. No money spent on gas while trying to go to work or school. You beat traffic. Plus, I'm sure it would make in interesting topic on a date, and a romantic ending to one.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Actually, I feel we just started.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We're awesome at Super Smash Bros. Except Lonnie. But he makes up for it by being superior to us at his instrument.
I did do editing on Sugarcult's Live in Japan DVD. But uh, only Japanese Sugarcult fans know about that one. I'm credited as Pro Tools Engineer and Editor or something along the lines of that.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. Good grub. Family time.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Record, or improve my mixing skills. Finding new things to do in Pro Tools. Writing my own solo stuff. Catch up on Heroes and Glee.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I don't think they're hidden really, but I am a fast/ good Pro Tools editor. And I can re-enact the scene in Degrassi where Rick shoots Jimmy in the back. And I can listen to all of "Lovebug" by the Jonas Brothers without cringing. In fact, I like that song and can play it on guitar.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
01:25 AM on 10/15/09
dietoseeyoufail
http://soundcloud.com/allencasillas
User Info.
Thanks Jamie!
(btw, I'm the drummer/vocalist. Not to be mistaken for lead vocalist)

Anyone interested,
You could download the full 4 song EP here.
CLICK HERE. RAPIDSHARE DOWNLOAD
10:10 AM on 10/15/09
parothead310
User Info.
Awesome interview. Diggggg it.
08:59 PM on 10/15/09
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
Thanks Jamie!
(btw, I'm the drummer/vocalist. Not to be mistaken for lead vocalist)

Anyone interested,
You could download the full 4 song EP here.
CLICK HERE. RAPIDSHARE DOWNLOAD
You guys seem to be NICER DICER. I'll check you out.
11:25 PM on 10/15/09
nerdvglc
User Info.
ignoring the last question's answer, i'll be checking them out. i like when these bands get a little imaginative with this general and simple interview. i just know i hate it when i see a band that did this and they have one-word-answers to most of the questions.
05:04 PM on 10/16/09
dietoseeyoufail
http://soundcloud.com/allencasillas
User Info.
ignoring the last question's answer, i'll be checking them out. i like when these bands get a little imaginative with this general and simple interview. i just know i hate it when i see a band that did this and they have one-word-answers to most of the questions.

what's wrong with the last answer?
haha
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums