AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Hate Myself - Ten Songs Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 0.75
Production 8
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 3
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 46%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.88
Lyrics 9.75
Production 8
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 92%

I Hate Myself - Ten Songs

Reviewed by: Dymytry Vance (10/15/09)
I Hate Myself-Ten Songs
Record Label: No Idea Records
Release Date: October 1, 2000

Among the seemingly useless and horrid band monikers that have spread like the plague, many may deem a band "stupid," or the very dreaded "emo" because of an odd, unfamiliar, and or quaint name. While many are completely irrelevant to the band's sound, I Hate Myself's is not, and the name is certainly no contradiction, joke, or misnomer.

By generating subtle nuances of peace and tranquility and then balancing the aforementioned with raucous screams and gloomy yet heavy instrumentation, I Hate Myself constructs a vintage emo sound comparable with Saetia and The Birds Are Spies, They Report To The Trees. How can music this rough be so calming and sweet at the same time? Is this a planned calamity, or pure accident that struck in the recording studio? I can't be sure how this pro was generated or where it was conceived. It's one of the few pro's however, and it's quite sad seeing that the band seems to have potential. But on the band's second and final LP, the vocals fall flat except for on a few occasions (“This Isn't the Tenka-Ichi-Budôkai”, “Caught In a Flood With the Captain of the Cheerleading Squad”, and “Urban Barbie” as the few exceptions), the lyrics are close to pathetic with "Conversation with Dr. Seussicide" being the poetic highlight of the album and all of its lyrical content, and the musicianship barely beating out the shining moments of the vocals which portray mediocrity and decency at the same time.

The vocals are very reminiscent of JT Woodruff and Bert McCracken, and the musicianship is easily comparable to Saetia, and following in the aforementioned's footsteps, the musicianship may switch occasionally into refreshingly calm sessions of tranquil and somewhat ambient sessions. It's not the most creative or original concept ever, nor is it very well executed. With a mediocre voice, and the musicianship being the only distraction from the abhorrent lyrics and vocal stylings, this album is extremely hard to take seriously and enjoy. “Conversations With Dr. Seussicide” is extremely lulling, depressing, jocular, and way too long to be riddled with so much mediocrity. The highlight of the track is the serene guitar riff that seems to bounce off of Jim Marburger's emotionless voice in a tranquil way. “Urban Barbie” and “Kind of a Long Way Down” are obviously the most screamo-influenced tracks from the effort. Unfortunately, even tracks that don't disappoint come too little too late in this album, and leave the sensation of being let down. This could certainly be evidence as why I Hate Myself is no misnomer.

Reccomended If You Like:
Shoving Hawthorne Heights, Saetia, and The Used into a blender and adding a tablespoon of Indie powder to the mix.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
07:52 AM on 11/04/09
true_believer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude, at least TRY to fact check.

The 10 Songs LP came out in 1997 on No Idea......a year before Saetia even formed. (and 4-5 years before either Hawthorne Heights or the Used formed)

And in 2000 when it came out on CD it was amazing. Best tracks are "Not Waving But Drowning", "...And Keep Reaching For Those Stars", and "Caught In A Storm With The Captain Of The Cheerleading Squad". Seriously, everyone that hasn't heard them should at least check it out once.

The one thing you got right was how the name of the band really sums up the vibe of that whole record. And I mean that in the best way. This is screamo before it was a dirty word.
03:55 PM on 11/06/09
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
hahahaha what?
04:11 PM on 11/06/09
Mochem
User Info.
Hawthorne Heights and The Used? Maybe I've been listening to another record.
04:23 PM on 11/06/09
Praetor
User Info.
Hawthorne Heights and The Used? Maybe I've been listening to another record.
I definitely must have been namedropping a different I Hate Myself...
01:20 PM on 11/07/09
wendjiqn
User Info.
stop typing in black, being a fucking idiot, and reviewing shitty skram albums kthx
04:37 PM on 11/07/09
Praetor
User Info.
Why aren't there any more comments on how moronic this review truly is? For so many different reasons. Sweet Jesus...stop.
06:49 PM on 11/07/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
Dude, at least TRY to fact check.

The 10 Songs LP came out in 1997 on No Idea......a year before Saetia even formed. (and 4-5 years before either Hawthorne Heights or the Used formed)

And in 2000 when it came out on CD it was amazing. Best tracks are "Not Waving But Drowning", "...And Keep Reaching For Those Stars", and "Caught In A Storm With The Captain Of The Cheerleading Squad". Seriously, everyone that hasn't heard them should at least check it out once.

The one thing you got right was how the name of the band really sums up the vibe of that whole record. And I mean that in the best way. This is screamo before it was a dirty word.
I was saying that the vocals IHM had were basically copied by those other three. Do you not see resemblance to all three of those bands vocalists and IHM's?

Secondly, I like the band in some aspects; however, about four or five tracks on this album were absolute crapfests.
06:59 PM on 11/12/09
Sief
Avid Pizza Eater
User Info.
It's an amazing album if it's what you're into. Other than that, I can see why someone would hate it.
06:03 PM on 01/12/10
Rationalist
Insert Offensive User Title Here
User Info.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles