AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Nights Like These - 01.07.09

Interviewed by
Nights Like These - 01.07.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Nights Like These - (Matt Quails - Guitar)
[myspace]

1. How did you get your band name?
I'm sure you have all heard the line "Man, I sure love nights like these." Our band name is as simple as that. We are five dudes having a good time. It's about all of us being together and enjoying what we do.

2. How did this band get started?
I am not an original member but I do know how the band got started. Billy our singer, Sebastian our bass player, and Patrick our former drummer started the band when they were in high school. They started it just as something fun to do. Just a few guys hanging out and playing their instruments. After various guitar players and a new drummer we have landed where we are now.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Our band is influenced by a number of artists. Some of the more obvious bands are Neurosis, Black Sabbath, Cursed, Botch, Electric Wizard.. bands of that nature. But we find influence in many different bands that sound nothing like us. For example: Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Minus The Bear, Black Flag, Jimi Hendrix, Dead Meadow.. there is just too much to list really. We are fans of a lot of different sounds.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why? Oh God, is this the million dollar question or what?

Neurosis would be my top choice. They are just such an incredible band. Full of energy and so many emotions in their live show. Another would be Electric Wizard. But these are bands we would tour with just to have the pleasure to watch every night. Pantera would be another band we would shit to tour with just because they party about as hard as it gets. Same goes with Ride The Lightning era Metallica.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
If I had to be a "furry" meaning a mammal I would be a koala bear, they just sit in trees and get stoned all day long.. who doesn't want to do that? But, if the choice of ANY animal will suffice then it would be a saltwater crocodile. 5,000 pounds per square inch in your jaw makes you pretty intimidating.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I've never really been one to sell my band to people in any fashion. Which is probably a great reason to listen to our band. We aren't playing to try to impress anyone. We are like I said earlier just five guys that love to play music.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Hmm, It would probably have to be the song "Claw Your Way Out" from our record Sunlight at Secondhand. It probably wouldn't be that hard because we aren't jawdropping musicians in the least.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
That would never happen but I guess I'd have to thank my family most importantly. They have supported me 100% through everything I have done and that is the greatest thing anyone could ever ask. Secondly I would thank my friends and bandmates for being the most kickass mother fuckers around. Also, anyone that has ever purchased a record, shirt, poster..etc or let us sleep on your floor, cook us food, smoke us out, buy us beers, whiskey..etc.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would change all the faces of the idiotic fuckers out there that take advantage musicians and stick their greedy hands in places they shouldn't.

10. Memorable tour experience?
There are way too many to pinpoint, but some of my favorite times we had was our first tour going to the west coast. Having a day off before the show in Las Vegas was probably the most awesome thing ever. I just wish I had been 21. Another is coming to Canada for the first time with Ion Dissonance, Bury Your Dead and Bring Me The Horizon. Let's just say if we did the things we did there in America, we would all be in jail.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a great site that keeps you updated on some great bands. Who doesn't love that?!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play as of lately is a newer song we have written called "Providence" it will surface sometime in early 09, possibly via a 7 inch?!? But other than that the song "Veteran Theives" from Sunlight at Secondhand.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Any place tropical.. my favorite place I've been is Nassau Bahamas. I would love to visit Australia because of its abundance in dangerous animals and marine wildlife.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Elvis Presley. My dad is a huge Elvis and Blues music fan. With being raised in Memphis Tennessee those tunes were always around. He worked at a fire station downtown and we would walk to Beale and check out the mixture of music from authentic blues to country to rock and roll.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would want to be able to fly as extremely high speed and altitude. So I could fly into the outer atmosphere of planet earth.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
If "making it" means filling out this questionare while I'm at my 9-5 job, then yes we have.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Hmmmm that I am secretly in love with the girl from paramore, our singer is a meathead, our guitar player is a bro, our bass player is 007, and our drummer is really a woman in a young man's body.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Halloween. Fuck yeah, bring out the evil!!

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
eat great Memphis style barbeque. pork shoulders you asses! fuck your beef brisket! also read some Vonnegut and McCarthy books

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can ride the fuck out of a motorcycle. Steve McQueen is the man!

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:38 AM on 10/17/09
She Let Me Go
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band blew
glad the guy moved on
12:48 PM on 10/17/09
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
Quote:
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would change all the faces of the idiotic fuckers out there that take advantage musicians and stick their greedy hands in places they shouldn't.

Pretty sure this is directed towards Victory Records. Haha. Band rocks.
03:38 PM on 10/17/09
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT