AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Hawthorne Heights - 4.30.06

Interviewed by
Hawthorne Heights - 4.30.06AP.net: First off, thanks very much for doing the interview. The last time we talked you had just finished recording your new CD – how’s life been since then?

JT: Well, shortly after we finished our last interview, our CD got leaked. That kinda sucked, haha.

Eron: It’s been hectic cause we’ve been on tour pretty much non stop; we took a little break for the holidays after that tour, and then picked up in January and have been on the road non stop – we had like a week off.

AP.net: Yeah, it seems like you guys haven’t really had much time off at all.

JT: Yeah, one tour after another. We’ll have our first month off in about ten days.

AP.net: This is a pretty ridiculous tour – do you feel like you’re gaining fans each night, or do you feel like you’re just playing to fans you already have?

JT: Yeah, totally. We’ll go out there some nights and there’s like ten or fifteen thousand people there, and they’ll have no idea who we are—not that we think they should know who they are—

Matt: Which is good.

JT: Definitely, you want to play in front of as many people you’ve never played in front of before so you can gain new fans, but seriously, you’ll go out there and it’s like “Yeah we’ve played here a bunch, maybe some of our fans will be here,” and you walk out on stage and everyone’s like “Who the fuck is this?”

Eron: There’s always a few girls in the front row, arms crossed, just like “Get the fuck off stage.”

JT: Where. Is. Pete.

Eron: There are these people who are up front and act like they’re too cool for you, but they’re just waiting there for Fall Out Boy.

Matt: It’s like that on every tour. Mest was like that, on a smaller scale. We toured with Mest, there were 600 people there, the front row was just like “Get the fuck out of here! We want Mest.” Except on this tour there’s like 1000 people saying that.

AP.net: What’s it like playing huge arena shows like this? Do you miss the intimacy of the smaller shows?

Collectively: Yes!

JT: Just for example, last night we played for 2000 kids in this big place, but it felt like we were playing in a closet with like 50 people.

Matt: The sound was terrible, but it was so much more fun.

JT: The sound was terrible, but the energy involved was just—

Matt: This feels like a movie screen. It’s like they turn a projector on and we’re just up there doing our thing, and everybody’s got glo-sticks and popcorn.

[Laughs]

Eron: You’ve got the crowd all around your peripherals.

JT: It feels like you’re at a broadway show. It feels like you’re a comedian at Carnegie Hall, just entertaining.

Matt: We got up there to stretch out and stuff and JT goes “Look at these people”—they couldn’t see SHIT.

JT: They were behind Fall Out Boys’ back line. They paid $40 to see maybe their laminates hanging off their backs.

AP.net: The sound is awesome, and you’re playing in front of 13,000 people, is that a sweet feeling?

JT: Yeah, totally. We totally appreciate the fact that we can be on a tour like this, playing in front of all these kids, it’s just way different than what we’re used to. They’re different mediums pretty much.

AP.net: I know you guys are big on meeting your fans and hanging out with them – do you get to do that on this tour?

JT: On this tour we’re not allowed to.

AP.net: How do you feel about that?

Eron: It sucks, cause our fans are what put us in the position that we’re in right now, and it sucks that we can’t go out there and talk to them, because we always do. Whenever we play an off-day show, we’re out there signing autographs and stuff. We’ve been trying to get around it by doing ‘meet and greets’ during the day, which are usually tied in with radio.

JT: The first 3 weeks of the tour we were bitching back and forth, trying to find a way to get out there, doing stuff like signings at FYE. It at least gives us the chance to go out there and sign autographs for people who really want to meet us. It kinda sucks because we had all these plans at the beginning of the tour, like “let’s go out there for an hour here and an hour there, so that way a lot of people will get to meet us,” but all that was foiled. We pre-autograph CDs now, that’s about all we can do. We sign a couple hundred CDs every day.

Matt: It’s part of the regiment. We sit up there, all five of us, cutting boxes open.

JT: We still do that, we open the CDs ourselves, we really do sign them ourselves—

Matt: It’s part of the daily routine, which is sweet, because around arenas, there ain’t shit.

JT: This (Atlanta) is one of the nicer ones, because if you walk up that way, there’s at least a restaurant. Normally you’re in the middle of trees.

AP.net: How did you guys feel about your CD leaking 4 months early?

Eron: It kinda sucked. But it was kinda cool because you could see people saying “Oh, it’s actually kinda good.” And people that didn’t like us before were saying that, so that was interesting to see. It definitely impacted our sales though.

JT: The only bad thing is that you can’t tell how many people downloaded it.

Matt: I look at it this way – I kind of think of it differently. When a band’s CD leaks, I’m a sucker for it. I got Underoath or whatever, and it’s awesome, but I’m totally gonna buy it the day it comes out.

Eron: I think a lot of people, if they really like the band, they will go out and buy it. Obviously the people that don’t like your band, or are maybe just curious, they might not—but who knows, we might win them over.

JT: I don’t like it because it takes the mystery out of it, something we’ve spent so long on, fighting over the artwork to try to get it how we want it, and then it’s not gonna even matter because somebody heard it four months before it came out. There’s no mystery, there’s no build whatsoever.

Matt: I remember you called me and told me when we were in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Eron: It doesn’t even fucking matter that it leaked four months ahead of time, because there are still people to this day that don’t know that it’s out. With all the promotion that Victory does, every other commercial break on Fuse has two of our spots on it, these people still don’t know that our CD’s out.

JT: We’ll do a signing at a radio station or something, and they’re always like “When are you guys coming out with a new CD.” And we’re just like, “Well, it kinda just came out.”

AP.net: How do you feel the reaction’s been so far to the new CD?

Eron: I think it’s been pretty good so far.

JT: Yeah, overall, we haven’t heard any complaints; everybody who’s picked it up, we haven’t really been getting any complaints, that you haven’t changed or you haven’t progressed.

AP.net: I’ve seen only one comment where someone prefers the old CD over the new one.

Eron: I’ve seen like two different posts where people were like “Oh they suck now, their last CD was so much better.”

Matt: I think all five of us are happy with the new one.

JT: I think that’s the true test.

Eron: The fact that on this tour we’re playing in front of all these people and we’re only playing 3 old songs says a lot.

AP.net: So what do you guys think of your old CD?

Eron: You can’t knock it too much, because it has gotten us to where we are today.

JT: I’m still really proud of our other CD. Like, I would’ve liked to have had a lot more time, and we were still growing as a band and people, so naturally we’re going to like this one better because we’ve progressed as a band and these songs mean more to us.

Matt: We went into the first one kind of blind. “Oh, what do we do now? Ah ok sweet, let’s do that.” “Recording. What’s going on?” We’ve recorded before—like, I’ve recorded Misfits cover in my basement, but that’s a LITTLE different.

Eron: Personally, I don’t like how that last CD is over Pro Tool-ed. I think there are still some good songs on there that I like, but..

JT: More importantly, there were a lot of good ideas that we would’ve liked to have developed and cut the ideas that we didn’t like.

Eron: So that’s what we tried to do with this new album.

JT: Those are the first songs—we didn’t have time to cut songs—those are the first songs we came up with as a band.

Matt: Every song we’ve released is every song we have.

Eron: Well, no, for this album, there was one we scrapped in pre-production.

Matt: We had a chorus, that’s it, haha.

AP.net: One reader was wondering if you’d have more time to write your next one—he said that this one was sort of rushed?

Eron: We started writing in like February of last year.

JT: It wasn’t really rushed, but it wasn’t like a major label band who would take 8 months off to write it and then another 3 to record it.

Matt: We were writing it on the bus as opposed to in a room together. We’d have guitar parts, and then figure other parts out based on that, and how they’d work together, etc.

JT: I remember a post on there that was like “Hey, you rushed two shitty albums right in a row, how about you take some time on the next one?” I mean, shit, we could take the next five years trying to write some opus masterpiece that sounds like Beethoven, but then everyone’s gonna be like “They took too much time. They changed.”

AP.net: I get IMs all the time with people saying, “You know, I really like the new Hawthorne Heights CD.” It’s just funny to me that people are afraid of looking un-cool or un-scene when they’re posting on a pseudonym on the internet. If you like something, you like it. Who cares? Besides the scene police.

Matt: You don’t give scene points anymore though, it doesn’t matter!

Eron: The best part about that is that these people are trying to be so punk, and the whole ideals of being punk are not giving a shit about what other people think about you

Matt: And not having a DSL modem at the house

[Laughs]

AP.net: This is probably a long ways away, but do you have any idea what your next CD might sound like? Would you ever drop the screaming totally?

Eron: We’re gonna sound like Muse and Radiohead

[Laughs]

Matt: Maybe eventually when we’re like 30, haha—well, that’s like a year and a half away for JT. 40?

JT: I don’t scream

Eron: We definitely made a conscious effort on this album to place the screaming in the places where we thought it was tasteful, because on the last album, it was everywhere and we didn’t really have someone to say “Yeah it fits there” or “It doesn’t fit there.”

Matt: Our producer was mixing our record while we were recording it, and he literally goes—it was a Thursday—and he goes, “I’m gonna be done mixing Friday at 10 o’clock and you have to have your last song there.” Whatever you hear on the last album, that’s what we thought of right then. We delivered the last song for him to mix literally the last minute that we had. 10PM? Ok. We give it to him at 9:59.

JT: I don’t think we’ll be able to tell until we start writing some new songs and stuff. I think there are some heavier parts on the new record that have no screaming, but the part is heavier and definitely could have screaming, we just didn’t want it there. It all depends on the song.

Eron: We’re not gonna force it.

JT: We’re not gonna force it, but we’re also not gonna take it out just because. If we think it goes there for what we want it to sound like, then that’s kind of how it is.

AP.net: Can we talk about ROCK?

JT: The only thing we will say on that whole issue is that we never had any qualms or beef with Ne-Yo or hip hop personally. Everything was so misconstrued.

AP.net: Yeah, I remember some people were like “They’re racist!”

Matt: Yeah! Our producer got a call about that and we were like, “Oh shit!! For real?”

JT: We don’t like to talk about it because anything can be misconstrued over a situation that didn’t happen, you know what I mean?

AP.net: I remember one person was asking about the Alternative Press feature you had a little while back and how it made you seem like you were just hopping on the emo trend while it’s there and you’ll hop off once it’s gone – do you notice publications twisting your words a lot?

Matt: That’s always gonna happen

JT: It’s not really twisting the words, it’s just the context of the conversation. In any given interview, like something really big, could either be an hour on the phone, or two days with somebody.

Matt: It makes me and JT sound rich because we have cars—USED. We have used cars.

JT: We are totally not rich.

Matt: My car cost the exact same amount as a Ford Explorer, but if they said, “Matt bought a Ford Explorer” people would be like “broke ass.”

Eron: It definitely made us out to be like we’re rolling in cash.

JT: I know Trevor, and I hung out with him, and he’s a nice dude, but a lot of people took it in a wrong way. He was trying to set it up like “They have this stuff, but they’re never gonna be on Cribs or anything like that because they’re modest and they don’t make money like huge bands make money.” A lot of people heard the term Lexus and they were like “MY GOD, THEY’RE BILLIONAIRES!! They’re the Bill Gates of punk rock music.”

Eron: It’s very, very cheap to live in Dayton, OH. Anyone can own a Lexus. If you move from the East Coast to Dayton, OH, you’ve doubled your money.

JT: We didn’t jump on the screamo bandwagon like people think we did, because we’ve been a band since 2000. That shit wasn’t popular until 2002 or 2003 or something like that, which happened to be when our record finally came out. Just like any band. Just like Thursday had been doing that stuff for a while. We definitely didn’t sound like Good Charlotte before this and thought, “Man, let’s do Good Charlotte with screaming! Maybe it’ll sell!” That was never our goal. We want to continue and make music that we enjoy, and if we can have longevity doing that, that’s awesome.

AP.net: What the hell is your video for “Saying Sorry” about?

[Laughs]

AP.net: One time I think I even saw a little bubble thing on the bottom of MTV2 where it quoted Eron as saying “I have no clue what’s going on in this video.”

Matt: We don’t really know, haha.

Eron: You know all those angel figurines with the crazy make up on? They filmed 8 hours of that shit, and then all our shots took an hour.

JT: They were supposed to be floating through us in the video, like they were apparitions or something, rather than: Here’s a shot of us playing. Girl hanging. She looks depressed. Shot of us playing. Girl hanging.

Matt: We had a meeting with him at a restaurant, and we were just like “Dude, make it look cool.”

AP.net: It definitely looks cool, I just don't know what's going on.

JT: We just wanted it to look visually pleasing.

Matt: We’re not super artistic dudes, we’re not good looking dudes, make us look cool

[Laughs]

Eron: Didn’t work

[Laughs]

JT: It could be more straightforward than it is

AP.net: One user was wondering if you listen to bands in your same genre, such as Senses Fail, and also, what are some of your favorite bands in the scene right now?

Eron: I did pick up the new Taking Back Sunday album, it’s pretty good

JT: We don’t dislike Senses Fail.

AP: I know you guys listen to a bunch of different stuff.

Matt: I listen to stuff in the scene, way whack stuff too, I’ll listen to pretty much anything

Eron: I listen to a bunch of indie rock. I’ll listen to stuff in the scene just to see what’s going on

Matt: Cartel’s awesome

JT: Just like anything, it has to be a standout band in the scene. If somebody were to say, “Do you listen to screamo music?” I’d say no. “Do you listen to the new Taking Back Sunday CD?” Yeah, it’s great. “Are you curious to hear the new Thursday record?” Yeah. I would say that we all listen to a bunch of different things. We all like melodic music, we all like rock music, we all like 70s music, 60s music.

Matt: One thing we strive on is not saying “We’ve never heard pop punk, we only listen to the 80s and for some reason we’re in a pop punk band” because that’s a LIE. Any band that says that is lying. I think everyone in our band’s kinda like, “If it sounds good, cool. If I like it, awesome.”

AP.net: I hate when bands are like “Our only influence is Lifetime” when clearly they sound nothing like Lifetime; they’re just saying it to look cool.

JT: I think that’s what’s kind of weird about our band. Eron, Matt, and I definitely grew up listening to Lifetime, Ignite, Avail, and stuff like that, and we still do listen to stuff like that, but we also pick up new bands like Death Cab for Cutie, I don’t know, you know how a bunch of the different genres blend together? Through association, you’ll find Milemarker through The Promise Ring, and it all kind of bounces off each other and we’ve kinda spiraled our tastes around that.

AP.net: What’s going on with your new single? You have two coming out?

Eron: We have one, it’s “Pens and Needles” and then we did shoot a live video for “This Is Who We Are” and I think that’s gonna be used as an exclusive thing for one of the music channels.

Matt: And as if playing in one of these places wasn’t weird enough, we had to play a song, that nobody’s ever heard—twice.

JT: “Hey guys, remember us?”

Matt: It’s not a single, it’s not anything, but we had to do it twice because they didn’t have enough camera angles or something.

JT: It turned out better than I thought, it looks pretty good.

AP.net: So is the breakdown in “Pens and Needles” gonna stay in there? I like that one a lot.

Matt: Are you saying you like screaming? Not cool.

[Laughs]

JT: A lot of people don’t know this, but some situations are up to the radio. If they think a part needs to be cut, they’ll cut it for that station. We don’t cut that part out forever, we play it live, it’s on the MTV version, it’s on everything.

AP.net: How many radio station related events do you have a day?

JT: We did 3 today because Atlanta’s a big market. Like seriously, radio’s the hardest, most exhausting thing in the world. And because we’re on an independent label, that’s why we have to do this. Normally the station’s an hour away too—and it’s all nice, we appreciate the situation for sure, we don’t want to seem like “we’re too good for this” because it’s not a drag—but people don’t understand that to get your song on the radio, you have to go hang out, meet their, you know, daughters and stuff like that, and it’s all because if you’ve ever listened to an alternative station, you’re gonna notice that maybe they’ll play our song then the Stone Temple Pilots stuff from 1993, then Nirvana, then Soundgarden, maybe a Fall Out Boy song. You’re not competing with the songs that are out today, you’re competing with all the hits.

AP.net: "What’s your favorite Hawthorne Heights song?"

Matt: I like “Pens and Needles.”

Eron: I like “This Is Who We Are” a lot.

JT: I like “Pens and Needles,” I really like the transitional breakdown in that song.

Matt: Victory wanted us to choose a different single, but we all like the song a lot.

AP.net: One reader was wondering what the hardest song for you to play is. I don’t know if they mean technically or in terms of getting it together as a band.

Matt: I’d say “This Is Who We Are” because that one part is almost a trainwreck every night

Eron: It’s ‘cause right before the drums kick in on the breakdown, it’s all feedback and it’s real hard for Micah to pick up the cues, because when I’m just playing my hi hat, it’s definitely tough for him to hear.

AP.net: "Considering you got so big so fast, did you find it hard to pick out which bands genuinely liked you and who just wanted to ride your coattails?"

Eron: Um, not really because no one gave a shit about us, so it wasn’t too hard

JT: Yeah, not really, because we’ve kept in touch with a lot of bands that we’ve gone on tour with. You can definitely tell who you get along with and who you don’t, because we’re not a partying band, and if there’s a more of a partying type, drug-doing band, we don’t hang out with them because we have different interests, but that's not because we don’t like them.

Eron: There’s only been a couple bands that we didn’t really get along with.

Matt: It’s not that we didn’t get along with them, it’s just that “You do cocaine, we watch DVDs. Go do cocaine, we’ll watch DVDs.” Whatever.

AP.net: How do you guys feel about Lifetime signing to Decaydance?

Matt: I think it rules.

Eron: I think it’s good for them because you hear all these people talking about how influential they are to music today, and it’s a chance for a wider audience to hear them. I’ve talked to Pete about it, and as soon as I found out, I asked him what was going on, and they’ll be recording with the same producer, they’ll do it in a week, all live, etc.

Matt: Pete definitely loves Lifetime. It’s not like he’s just like “Man, this could get me some real cool points.” He likes Lifetime, why wouldn’t he want to sign them?

JT: I’m curious to hear new Lifetime songs. I don’t care what label it comes out on, or when they recorded it.

Matt: Why wouldn’t you want to sign a band that you love so you can say “Hey, do whatever you want, I just wanna hear it.” Kids who like Fall Out Boy will probably hear it and find out where Fall Out Boy came from. I think that’s awesome.

Eron: The fall tour of the year: Lifetime, Ignite, Shai Hulud, and the Gorilla Biscuits. If all four of those bands went on tour together, I’d probably cum my pants.

Matt: Would you be their merch guy?

Eron: Most definitely.

AP.net: What’s the best advice you’ve received as a band, and what’s the worst?

Eron: There are two things that are really good—just treat people how you want to be treated, and be nice to people on your way up, because then they’ll be nice to you on your way down.

Matt: I don’t think this is advice, but just don’t be an asshole

[Laughs]

Matt: Use common sense. You’re not sweet if you play guitar, because everyone plays guitar. For indie bands, if you want to get your egos squashed or whatever, go to an airport—“Oh you guys are in a band, what’re you called?” “We’re called Hawthorne Heights.” “Oh. Ok. Cool. I’ll check you guys out.” Nobody knows who we are.

JT: In the grand scheme of things, none of our bands are going to matter in musical history for the most part, so have fun doing what you want to do, and don’t be mean to people.

Eron: Yeah, don’t act like you’re hot shit.

AP.net: What comments about your band bug you the most, if they do at all?

JT: We’re totally down for laughter every night. The only comments that bug me personally are comments that are entirely untrue.

Matt: “They didn’t play their instruments in the album!” I was right in the fucking room dude.

JT: I just read one today that was like “I know a band that recorded right after you at the same studio and they know that they re-cut all of Eron’s drum parts right after you left the studio. How does that make you feel?” And I was like, “Dude, we were in the studio 18 fucking hours a day before the producer got there, and after he left. When did this happen? We were there for the mix, we were there for the master. So when did it happen?”

Matt: We finished tracking the day he was done mixing, and he didn’t have any more money to spend. That’s impossible.

JT: And I was like, “By the way, which record are you talking about?” So the guy actually got back on and was like “Dude, you were really cool about that, I have no idea what record that was, my friend just told me. Good to know that didn’t happen though.” It sounded like he was legitimately pissed at first. Through the grapevine, every band is the worst band on the planet, it’s like a game of telephone.

AP.net: A lot of people wanted me to ask this the last time and I forgot—why three guitars?

JT: Because, dude, we really like The Fully Down.

[Laughs]

Matt: Everybody’s like “Why can’t they do it like The Fully Down?” We don’t know. When we play live, say there’s a part where Micah has to play a lead and Casey has to do a harmony, it’s gonna sound like dog shit if it’s just bass and—

Eron: Because he [JT] looks really dumb without a guitar.

[Laughs]

JT: To be 100% honest, like yeah we don’t have to have three guitars, but why not? If they want me to be playing solos the whole time, I guess I will, but is that really gonna add to the songs?

Matt: For some of the parts Micah and Casey are playing totally different things, so it’s nice to have another guitar there to have the same thing the bass is playing so it sounds like the CD. I’ve never seen A Wilhelm Scream, but I don’t know how they—cause there’s a lot of harmonies on their record and it’s awesome, but maybe their bass player uses distortion or something.

JT: What people don’t understand is that in every song we’ve ever written as this band, there are 3 guitar parts going on. My guitar part is pretty much Matt’s bass part except on guitar, rhythm chords, Casey is playing octaves and notes the whole time pretty much of what I’m doing, and Micah is playing the leads. They’re not the craziest, most complicated, complex, Radiohead riffs in the world, but they are three different guitar parts doing separate things to form one wall of sound.

Eron: Just because you have three guitars doesn’t mean they have to be all soloing. You do what the song calls for, and if that calls for an extra rhythm track, cool. If you asked me if Ringo Starr’s a good drummer, yeah he’s an awesome drummer, he did exactly what The Beatles needed him to do. If he were to be soloing and doing all sorts of crazy shit, those songs would not sound as good as they do.

Matt: Tre Cool doesn’t do drum solos in the middle of songs, but he’s definitely awesome

JT: Bottom line on the situation: if we didn’t have three guitars, somebody would say “What’s that lead singer doing up there? I don’t like his stage presence.” There’d be something about us. Or “Their 2 guitar parts are boring.”

AP.net: Have you guys had a chance to relax since The Silence In Black & White came out?

Eron: We had a little time off for Christmas.

Matt: We’re about to have a month off and I’m getting married, so there’s no relaxing. I get home from my honeymoon and then Casey gets married.

Eron: During then the other three of us will probably be writing and working on stuff.

Matt: So Bucc is gonna be writing guitar parts.

JT: He didn’t play drums on the record, he might as well play guitar.

[Laughs]

AP.net: "What are the youngest breasts that have been revealed to you at a show?"

JT: I dunno, they just kind of bring them out. Literally. It’s real gross, but when I was in high school and girls were 16, they did not look like they look now.

Eron: They definitely don’t.

Matt: Which basically means you think 15 year olds are hot?

[Laughs]

JT: No, I don’t think 15 year olds are hot at all, but you could tell a 15 year old from a 22 year old back in the day. But yeah, they don’t ask, they just take em out. “Sign these!”

AP.net: So you guys (Eron (Race the Sun manager) and JT (Carbon Copy Media owner)) both started up some ventures in the music business; how’d you get interested in that aspect?

Eron: Before we were in this band doing it professionally, I’d sort of given up my dreams of playing in a band professionally, so I was going to college to hopefully work my way into the music industry behind the scenes, so it just sort of made sense now that things are sort of on cruise control with us, to help somebody else.

JT: As far as me, I’ve always wanted to run a record label on some sort of scale because I’m from a really small town, and literally there was nothing. I had to find out about punk rock from Green Day which turned me onto NOFX and so forth down the line. We didn’t have an indie record store. You went to Record Town and they might’ve had Green Day, and that was it, just because it was on MTV. I’ve always wanted to help bands that need some sort of exposure. I’ve never really wanted to sell a lot of record for bands, I’d like to be a stepping stone for a band, because a lot of people do need some guidance and I think I can do that for them. Also, one of my friends who put out our first CD when we were called A Day In the Life, he’d been running a label for a while, and we’d always talked about doing something together but I’d never had any time because of Hawthorne Heights, so now he and I do a bunch of stuff together and so far we’ve found 5 or 6 bands that we’re really into.

AP.net: I love how people are always like “Carbon Copy Media! What a perfect name for his label!!! OMGZ!”

Matt: Hilarious! Cause that’s why he chose it. It’s so funny.

JT: Totally. I knew that everybody was going to make fun it of whatever name it was, so I wanted to be totally sarcastic, because if you think about the music industry from about 1960 to 2006, it’s a copy of a copy of a copy in different forms.

Matt: We all play guitars tuned to E.

JT: The Strokes were Tom Petty in 1981, it’s just the same shit going back over and over. It’s totally a play—just to be funny.

Matt: “It’s so ironic 'cause his band’s just a carbon copy!!!!!!”

[Laughs]

JT: They never think about, “Well maybe he thinks it’s funny because that’s what people say about his band.”

AP.net: How do you guys have enough time, being in a full time band yourself, to make sure you can help out your own bands?

JT: Wireless internet on the bus.

Eron: You see how often I’m online. There’s a lot of downtime between the radio things and when you play, and obviously after you play, there’s tons of time too. We don’t really party a lot. What’re you gonna do after you get done playing at 9? Might as well get online and do some work, help some people out.

JT: Ultimately, we really do want to help people out. I don’t think either of us think that we’re gonna be making money off these bands anytime soon. I think it’s important to give back to our scene.

Eron: I had an old friend’s band who got successful and I feel like he turned his back on me when we were getting started, so I kind of want to not be that person. The fact of the matter is that if you’re in a successful band, you do have connections and if you’re friends with somebody or see something in a band, you can help them out and make things happen for them.

AP.net: [To Eron]: Are you looking to take on any more bands for management?

Eron: I don’t want to take on any more bands until Hawthorne’s done. This is my first time doing anything business-wise for a band that I’m not in, so I don’t want to mess it up and I want to focus my efforts on Race the Sun.

AP.net: [To JT] How do people submit stuff to you?

JT: My P.O. Box is on my MySpace page (www.myspace.com/carboncopymedia). I have like six releases that I’m really happy with right now, and I don’t want to spread myself too thin, but I’m always looking to listen to new things.

[b]AP.net: What can you apply from your experiences being in a successful band to helping out your own bands?

JT: I think we know what is and what isn’t important in a band.

Eron: We can definitely say “Alright look, this is more effective if you do this, don’t do this because it’s a waste of time.” You know the pitfalls, you know what’s out there, so you can help them and make their progress towards success a lot quicker when you know what you’re doing.

JT: We’re big brothers to these bands and to these people. We’ve been through some stuff and we’re up here, and they’re down there, and we’re trying to get them up to where we are.

Eron: A lot of the music industry is about knowing the right people. We’ve made plenty of contacts in our careers.

JT: If you’ve been screwed or dicked over in the industry, you want to treat bands on your label or management company fairly, so it’s an opportunity to do that as well.

Matt: It sucks when you go on tour and other bands say “Yeah, you’ve gotta sell your t-shirt for $25” so we’re not gonna do that to someone else, cause it sucks.

AP.net: Ready for some sweet reader questions?

Matt: Bring em on.

JT: Yes, we’re ***gots.

[Laughs]

AP.net: “Do you feel that most of your songs don’t stray far away from “the tracks?””

Matt: I dunno, I like verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/chorus songs; you’re an asshole if you don’t like that, haha.

Eron: Go listen to early 50’s rock music, like early Motown stuff, and it’s so simple, but it’s so good.

Matt: The same people that ask that would not make fun of The Beatles. They wouldn’t be like, “Hey John Lennon, how do you feel that your songs are so safe?” It’s a verse and a chorus, sorry dude.

JT: If I wanted to hear people dick around in the middle of their songs, I’d go to the Guitar Center in Cincinnati and listen to a bunch of people jacking off on their guitars the whole time.

AP.net: “Mark or Tom?”

JT: Tom for me.

Matt: Tom, cause Angels and Airwaves is sweet.

AP.net: “Who do you feel is the most talented band in the history of Victory’s roster?”

Eron: Between the Buried and Me is up there for me, as far as musical ability. Darkest Hour’s up there too.

AP.net: “Do you see a certain pattern of bands on Victory’s roster?”

JT: I don’t think so at all.

Matt: Yeah, me either.

JT: There’s definitely melodic bands, he’s still not afraid to put out a ska CD—literally, just not afraid to do it.

Matt: Covering another ska CD.

[Laughs]

AP.net: IAmTheIndustry asks “Why do you continue writing such god awful music on your latest release without changing anything?”

Eron: We just like god awful music

[Laughs]

JT: When we started this band, we didn’t set out to change anything. We want to write Hawthorne Heights songs. If you don’t like them, then leave them.

Eron: I think if you go out and you try to change the course of music history, you end up just—

JT: You sound like the other bands who tried to change music history

AP.net: This is my favorite. JakeRM asks “How come every time the guitarist screams, the sound of a dying duck is heard instead?”

Eron: Well, we have a sample

[Laughs]

Eron: And the mic is triggered so the sample comes on when Casey screams

JT: That’s just what Casey’s scream sounds like. I can’t scream, Matt can’t scream, Eron can’t scream, Micah tries to scream, that’s what it sounds like.

Matt: No animals were harmed in the creation of that scream

[Laughs]

AP.net: “How do you sleep at night knowing the fact that you have raped everyone’s ears by making two of the most rushed and untalented and aligned records ever produced. Just kidding, here’s something more respectable. Why don’t you guys just die already?”

[Laughs]

Matt: I sleep 10 hours, I get up at noon

[Laughs]

AP.net: XValorous asks “I heard JT doesn’t even have his guitar plugged in when they play. Is that true, and if so, why?”

Eron: It’s called a wireless system.

Matt: He wanted to waste $400 on a wireless.

AP.net: “Why are you so popular but can’t seem to write good music?”

JT: What’s your definition of good music—

AP.net: Clearly people love your music, you know? That question doesn’t make sense to me.

JT: There are people who will ask that question, and that’s cool and everything, but we play for the people who have come up to us personally crying and said “I was gonna kill myself two weeks ago but I heard your songs and I had to come to your show and tell you that you really meant something to me.”

Eron: For every one asshole, there’s a thousand other people that don’t say anything that love us. Saying “good music,” that’s such a subjective term, so yeah maybe in that dude’s eyes, if he’s a huge Aidswolf fan, then he probably won’t like us.

JT: I’m not gonna lie, my favorite band of all time is The Beatles, and right behind them is Journey. But I know a lot of people who hate The Beatles and like The Rolling Stones, and I know a lot of people who hate Journey and like Boston instead. That’s just what music is.

Matt: Another thing I don’t understand is how somebody can LOVE Cartel and Fall Out Boy, and then just hate the FUCK out of us.

JT: I understand people not liking us, and that’s cool and everything

Matt: There bands in the scene and in the same genre that I like and don’t like, but they don’t sound different enough that I DESPISE them.

JT: We haven’t done anything different than any of those other bands that that dude probably likes.

AP.net: PunkRawker asks “In what ways are you a positive influence in the world of music?”

Matt: We’re not dicks, we’re normal dudes.

JT: I think we stand behind this statement 100%: Somebody who met us 10 years ago or yesterday will say that we’ve been the same people ever since. We still go out and sign autographs

AP.net: You’re doing an hour long interview with a website, you know? That’s awesome.

JT: If somebody’s interested in our band, we’re interested in them as well

AP.net: “Have you heard about the movie Snakes on a Plane?”

Eron: I heard it’s not real

JT: I’ve heard that, but I’ve checked IMDB and there are names attached to it, it’s really coming out.

Matt: What the fuck are you talking about?

Eron: There’s a plane, and there are deadly snakes on it.

[Laughs]

Matt: And it’s called Snakes on a Plane?

[Laughs]

AP.net: Anything you’d like to say to the readers of AP.net?

JT: I think we’d like to say thanks to the people who have come around, given us a chance, and liked the new record and not just turned themselves off because there are people who say “f this band.” I also think it’s really cool that a lot of the staff have been really upfront with us and been like “I really like your new record but still hate your old CD.” I think that’s what music is all about. It’s really subjective to what you think.

Eron: Thank you to those who have supported us and risked getting negative scene points.

[Laughs]

JT: What’s cool is that even if some people don’t like us, and someone says something outlandish, those people will put the outlandish ones in their place. No one should stick up for a band or put a band down. It should be, “You like Senses Fail? Alright, why do you like Senses Fail?” Not “Why do you hate Senses Fail?” or “Why do you like Radiohead? Why do you like this band? Why do you like that band?” There’s too much concentration on the drama of hating a band so it actually becomes cool to hate a band. It’s ridiculous. Cool to hate a band.

Matt: I remember when Blink signed to a major, I fuckin hated it. I was so pissed. It got cool to hate em, and then once it was so cool to hate em, it was cool to like em.

Eron: I do want to say this, and this has nothing to do with anything we’ve talked about, but I think it’s funny how now it’s acceptable and cool if a band signs to a major, and it never used to be before.

Matt: I kind of like it because all the bands who sign to majors have good recordings.

Eron: I think it’s good that people have come around and seen that it’s not that big of a deal.

JT: Thanks once again to everyone who’s supported us, we’ll see you at a show soon.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
09:51 AM on 05/22/06
screwbizzle
User Info.
haha, i am nowhere near finished reading, but the "where.is.pete" thing is funny!
09:54 AM on 05/22/06
thesiz
skinny fat guy
User Info.
I don’t know, there is just something I strongly dislike about these guys. for as much criticism as theyve encountered youd think they would have have anticipated some of the questions and came up with witty responses.
09:57 AM on 05/22/06
BrandFuckingNew
User Info.
remember when everybody liked this band the day after halloween. bummer.
10:12 AM on 05/22/06
Kaystarmaker
foo.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band get way too much shit, they seem like nice guys :) and their songs arent half bad either. not lifechanging, but fun to listen to occasionally :)
10:28 AM on 05/22/06
seconds
fuckin' shit up
User Info.
AP.net: “How do you sleep at night knowing the fact that you have raped everyone’s ears by making two of the most rushed and untalented and aligned records ever produced. Just kidding, here’s something more respectable. Why don’t you guys just die already?”

Greatest question.
11:56 AM on 05/22/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Haha, that was one of the best interviews I've ever read.

AP.net: This is probably a long ways away, but do you have any idea what your next CD might sound like? Would you ever drop the screaming totally?

Eron: We’re gonna sound like Muse and Radiohead
12:09 PM on 05/22/06
racethesun
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
alot of those reader questions were really stupid. The stuff they were propsoing to hawthrone, they could not even come close to. i dont like them, but you at least have to respect them as an artist. they seem like good guys.
12:18 PM on 05/22/06
zizou1790
City of Champions
User Info.
haha very nice interview, haha i still hate HH though
01:13 PM on 05/22/06
leafsacc
User Info.
That was almost as funny as the first one, good interview. Although I don't think the first one could ever be topped, that was classic.
02:21 PM on 05/22/06
CWeezer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it was a good interview, and they really are nice guys. it was very cool to meet them and they honestly do take the time to actually say hey. i don't know how they answered those questions at the end. if i was in a band and we had worked hard i wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of shit from people. better them then me. they aren't the greatest band, nor the most innovative but wishing death on them is fucking messed up.
03:09 PM on 05/22/06
bandoftheweek
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cool interview. I myself didn't know it was leaked.
03:51 PM on 05/22/06
Nick Lopez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by bandoftheweek
Cool interview. I myself didn't know it was leaked.
what?

like...eight months ago or something..

Anyway, I've never really liked this band's music, but in every interview I have read or seen they seem to be really genuine, nice guys. So I respect that and whatnot. Nice interview, Rohan. Again, they seem really genuine.
04:03 PM on 05/22/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
nice work, I like that Matt downloaded the Underoath cd hahaha. The new album isn't half bad, I rock out to it.
04:11 PM on 05/22/06
MCSmate
I'm wide awake, it's morning
User Info.
people shouldn't be hating on HH...they are actually really good.
i like a lot of there stuff. i really like "Silver Buller" & "This Is Who We Are" off either Albums.
they didn't plan on getting huge and having many pepole dislike them
they just wanna write music and play shows
i think they deserve that

they write good music, no ever just gave them that chance to show it because no one ever took the time to listen

[btw AWSOME SHOW WHEN YOU CAME TO HAWAII...
JT had- baise/tan converse and army shorts. i remember]

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version